• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

This forum is DEAD

Hello all. I have a quick question about throttling. Im currently a prevail owner and am thinking about switching to the SGSII. People have said that after the 2.5gb limit, your speeds drop to 256k? Is this 256kb/s? Or 256kbps?? There is a huge difference, i could live with 256kb/s. In other words, does it drop down to 3g speeds or 2g speeds? And what if i only use 3g, will i still get throttled? Thankyou for any help, i really want this phone, but i really dont want 2g speeds.

Upvote 0
Hello all. I have a quick question about throttling. Im currently a prevail owner and am thinking about switching to the SGSII. People have said that after the 2.5gb limit, your speeds drop to 256k? Is this 256kb/s? Or 256kbps?? There is a huge difference, i could live with 256kb/s. In other words, does it drop down to 3g speeds or 2g speeds? And what if i only use 3g, will i still get throttled? Thankyou for any help, i really want this phone, but i really dont want 2g speeds.

All net speeds are in bits per second weather in Kilo or Mega. A kilobyte is KB. You would be in the 2Mbps range to be getting 256KB (kilobyte) per second.

Reactions: LilBit
Upvote 0
my understanding of it is,

kb/s - kilobytes per second

kbps - kilobits per second

mb/s - megabyte per second

mbps - megabit per second

correct?

Kilobyte has to have a uppercase B a lot of people make that mistake unfortunately. Case is important, and as I said all net speeds are in bits per second not bytes. Just like M is mega and m is not. Kilobytes per second is KB/s and Megabytes per second is MB/s. Just remember that when you are talking data speeds for your net connection they will be in bits per second.

Reactions: LilBit
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones