1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

This is an ugly problem. Need some serious help.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by HaTrEd360, Jul 1, 2013.

1. HaTrEd360

HaTrEd360 Android Expert

So I wasn't able to switch to Verizon yet so I need this phone working.

Okay, so i'm S-off. Hboot 1.04. Latest firmware and radio. I'm running the latest PAC version for the Evo V.

My issue started today as I noticed that I can slide my statusbar to change the brightness. That setting was off in the settings but I could still do it. I turned it on, the statusbar crashed and would not show back up. I turned it back off and it still wouldn't come back up. So I went to reboot and hit recovery on accident. Then just hit reboot system now in Recovery. Then the phone tries to boot. Passes the splash screen, goes to the PAC boot animation and freezes after the battery charging light comes on after a few seconds. Then it completely shuts off and turns on. Goes to the splash screen. Back to animation. Then does it again. And again. I go into recovery, wipe cache and dalvik, then go to Fix Permissions. I know that takes a while. Like 15 minutes later I come back to my phone. Still fixing permissions. Shouldnt take that long. Then it shut off again! So I pulled the battery and tried a reset by holding the power button for 30 seconds while the battery is pulled. Didn't work same result. And went to the splash screen, animation. Then says it's optimizing apps. It gets to 75 out of 150 and freezes then reboots. Gets to it again and this time it freezes at 40 out of 78. (I'm assuming because it already optimized half of them?) So it reboots again. This time it optimizes the rest and boots up! And after 5 minutes or so it shuts off again! Ugh. I'm now doing a backup. I've already been in a bootloop on this ROM twice in the past 2 weeks and had to fully format. I don't want to again, and I dont know if this is system or data related or boot related or battery related. Looks like recovery is working now tho as my backup is going fine.

I'd prefer not to have to RUU but if I have to then all well.

Anybody have any idea what's causing this? My battery does have some reading issues. I had 46% earlier, rebooted, and it showed 8% then. I went into recovery and it read it had 55% tho. Maybe I have a defective power circuit?? I also have Fast Charge on in the settings under Performance Control and Kernel Settings if that does any negative effects at all, just for some info.

I believe I need your help Prinny, Brian, or Ramjet. (Although we haven't seen you in some time. Hmm.)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Prinny

Prinny Resident Linux Nutcase

Honestly, I'd run the RUU. With all the issues you're describing, it doesn't sound like a simple flash and go fix.

As far as battery, I've seen that plenty of times on my phone. I'm currently on Dirty Unicorns, and it says battery is at 72%. I reboot and it says 76 in recovery.Then phone turns back on and its at 70%. That if I'm not mistaken is just a ROM issue, not a hardware issue.

Fixing permissions should NOT take that long at all. Depending on the ROM, I THINK the longest it took me was maybe...5 minutes?

All in all, it almost sounds like a corrupt partition, like recovery or something...So you could always try a firmware PG86IMG.ZIP from the joeblow hacks thread, see if that helps the weird issue.

If not, I would honestly suggest the RUU.

scotty85 likes this.
  3. HaTrEd360

HaTrEd360 Android Expert

Thanks Prinny. Another issue. My backup is not working. It has taken 15 minutes so far to backup data. I'm gonna shut it off and try to just format data first I guess. Good thing TiB is scheduled to backup every night. :)

4. HaTrEd360

HaTrEd360 Android Expert

Okay I have no choice. RUU. It just froze and rebooted while wiping data in recovery. Ughhh I hate this phone lol

5. HaTrEd360

HaTrEd360 Android Expert

I am absolutely sorry for the spam posts here! It rebooted this time reaching the setup screen on PAC. I believe there was a data corruption. I'll see where it goes from here and how recovery works. I'm too lazy to edit posts lol

6. Revenant Ghost

Revenant Ghost Android Expert

Damn dude, you're cursed when it comes to this phone are you? It just doesn't want to let you go.

7. Prinny

Running the ruu and going back to custom Roms should only take about 20 minutes. Keep us posted though.

8. HaTrEd360

HaTrEd360 Android Expert

And after I completed setup it rebooted. Running RUU in a bit. Yeah it doesn't take long, but downloading the neccessary files does, and I have to go back to 1.58 hboot too

9. Prinny

You don't HAVE to. The ruu should set you at 1.57

10. HaTrEd360

HaTrEd360 Android Expert

Can you link me to the bootloader zip version of the latest RUU please? And the joe blow hacks thread that has the recovery in it and everything?

11. HaTrEd360

HaTrEd360 Android Expert

I ran the RUU through the bootloader but it failed on unzipping the system folder. (I extracted the rom.zip from the temp folder.) It flashed everything else tho. So I guess that means my system partition is corrupted? How would I go about fixing that? I'm gonna flash the 4ext version of joe blow hacks now and try and format system and everything else.

12. adamhos1234

adamhos1234 Android Expert

Did you fix this yet?
    Did you try the pg86img ruu?
    I was a little confused by your posts, but I have a copy on dropbox if you still need it. Since you are s off, flashing through bootloader will return you to hboot 1.57, then reboot and finish the ruu...

13. HaTrEd360

HaTrEd360 Android Expert

Yes link me to it. I cant get the RUU.zip to flash the system partition in my bootloader it keeps unzipping and updating and then says it failed.

14. HaTrEd360

HaTrEd360 Android Expert

My other issue is fastboot is useless. I think getting the exe ruu to work would be more effective. I just cant seem to get drivers to install on Windows 8 tho.

15. HaTrEd360

HaTrEd360 Android Expert

I'm pretty sure the system is corrupted! I cant write anything to it from recovery. I'm trying to install PAC again, and i've wiped system a few times. I've gotten the exe ruu to run and recognize my phone in Fastboot usb without usb debugging or drivers. Hmm lets see if it runs

16. Prinny

If its /system that shouldn't be an issue with running an RUU. I'm not familiar with Windows, but try this...

Start > run > %temp%

Run the ruu. You'll see some folders appear. Find ROM.zip and put it somewhere. Like. Your desktop or so.

Then rename it to PG86IMG.zip

Put on your sdcard and see if that works.

17. HaTrEd360

HaTrEd360 Android Expert

RUU Failed, said image update failure. :/ Someone plz help me I have like an hour or two to fix it before I gotta go to bed for work

18. HaTrEd360

HaTrEd360 Android Expert

And I don't need to relock the bootloader before running an RUU because i'm s-off right? A lot of guides say I need to do that. I find it funny how every time I flash a different bootloader the version number changes but still says Unlocked at the top.

19. HaTrEd360

HaTrEd360 Android Expert

That's what I did. That way and the original way both fail on updating the system of my phone. I'm gonna try redownloading tho.

20. HaTrEd360

HaTrEd360 Android Expert

Now because it failed, it shows a black htc screen with exclamation points in the corners.

21. nsciucco

nsciucco Android Expert

scotty85 likes this.
  22. HaTrEd360

HaTrEd360 Android Expert

And I am stuck at this screen. Both ways of running the RUU cause it to fail on updating the system image. Fastboot works by the way, I can still use that even tho i'm on this black screen.

scotty85 likes this.
  23. HaTrEd360

HaTrEd360 Android Expert

Well i'm stuck in RUU Update failure or something so I can't access the bootloader menu and no matter what I do it boots to this.

24. HaTrEd360

HaTrEd360 Android Expert

Can I flash this through fastboot flash zip?

25. Prinny

Possibly...but pg86img.zip would work too.