• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

This is driving me crazy...How long does a number port usually take???

I used to be in the telecom business. (Wireless, Internet, pagers, home phone service, long distance, etc.)
I used to see this issue occassionally and AT&T seemed to be the worst at releasing numbers. You may have to call customer service and have them escalate your issue to get it resolved. Good Luck.

Upvote 0
when i got my moment (ordered online) i called to activate it and they told me it would take 3 days. i said that was unacceptable and they did it in about 20 mins. i guess some people will just accept that it takes that long and it gives them time to do more of them on a better timescale when you complain. call customer service at sprint AND att. make it BOTH their problems.

Upvote 0
when i got my moment (ordered online) i called to activate it and they told me it would take 3 days. i said that was unacceptable and they did it in about 20 mins. i guess some people will just accept that it takes that long and it gives them time to do more of them on a better timescale when you complain. call customer service at sprint AND att. make it BOTH their problems.

It's always best to talk to the new carrier. New carriers can initiate ports, and old carriers MUST honor them. Simple ports should take no longer than a few hours. Only landine-cellular ports and small carrier-large carrier ports should take more than a few hours.

Try this link for porting info (Keeping Your Telephone Number When You Change Your Service Provider)

Refusal to port leads to fines.

Wish a mod would post the link as a sticky since this question comes up fairly regularly.:)

Upvote 0
I was in the same situation and had to call the porting department to get it fixed. The salesman at the sprint store put my old account number in wrong so they couldn't port it. Call them and get it taken care of now.
That's what happened with The Wife's line. The store rep transposed a couple of numbers, and it took a very long and frustrating support call with 3 different people to get it corrected. The first two, both "not from here" :rolleyes: , couldn't understand what I was telling them. "This is not my wife's phone number. The 8 and the 9 need to be switched around."

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones