1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

This is why bing should drop dead

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by exzacklyright, Feb 2, 2011.

1. exzacklyright

exzacklyright Well-Known Member

Bing caught copying search results from Google

http://searchengineland.com/google-bing-is-cheating-copying-our-search-results-62914
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. grin0048

grin0048 Well-Known Member

Pretty funny and obviously embarrassing for MS but meh, companies stealing from each other, what else is new?

3. Avalanch3

Avalanch3 Member

I don't mind, at least some people searching with Bing will get good Google results :p

4. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=

I smell a lawsuit. ;)

5. Eh, there's no grounds for a suit. Google's service is freely available, even to Microsoft.

6. Frisco

But for Gloogle's search to be reused for profit may be actionable (links to Bing's paid/addbound services at the bottom of their page, etc).

7. pool_shark

pool_shark Android Expert

I don't buy it.

I use bing. I use it because I like the pictures on their page. By the way Google now allows you to change the background for their page too. Does that mean MS should sue them?

Anyway, I use bing for my searches all the time, but when I don't see the results I expect, I use Google and get very different (better) results.

8. Frisco

lol .. I'm wondering if a law suit is in the air.. not hoping, or knowing one way or the other.

It seems the world has gone law suit happy, sometimes.

9. dan330

dan330 Extreme Android User

very interesting..

if true.. how embarrassing for MS.
    if false.. so internet-ish

10. PSkeptic

PSkeptic Android Expert

Wrong.

You are not allowed to take their search results, and present them as your own. You can render results using their API, which is available, and leaves their revenue stream in place.

But you can not, take their raw results, and present them as your "New, improved, search engine" without licensing that content from Google.

IOWA likes this.
  11. Bing Toolbar sent back browsing history (agreed to by the terms of the EULA).

It reported something like the following:

browse
    browse
    browse
    google.com
    google.com/search?q=honeypot
    honeysite.com
    browse
    browse
    browse

Bing sees this sequence of visits occur a couple different times with different users and notices that this honeypot term usually results in the user ending up at honeysite.com, so they associate honeypot with honeysite.com.

Bing isn't taking results from Google, they're following the browsing patterns.

I'm an attorney, and would not want to take this case.

Frisco likes this.
  12. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Android Expert

I like Bings pictures, but vastly prefer Google results.

If you can't reuse Google search results then how does 'DogPile' do it? They fully disclose that they compile results taken from Google, Bing, Ask & Yahoo.

13. byteware

byteware Android Expert

Bing has admitted to using Google Search Results as part of their formula, "but only a small part".

I agree that a lawsuit is definitely warranted. Oh how Microsoft has fallen.

14. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Android Expert

I never find anything I'm searching for with Bing. Hate it.

15. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Android Expert

Well seeing as how Microsoft loves to sue other internet companies... why not sue Google for allowing their phoney search results to creep up and taint the Bing results.

Shame on Google for such a devious ploy!

16. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Android Expert

Dammit! Deleted again. Wrong forum. Heck.....wrong site!

17. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Extreme Android User

Bing's in the hosts file. MS does not know where I want to go today, and I ain't giving them the opportunity.
    I found them trying install bing toolbar with some shareware. You had keep unchecking it.

18. Btros

Btros Android Enthusiast

If bing's copying search results from Google, how come their search results suck so much harder than Google's?

19. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion is cool!
    VIP Member

I fail to see why anyone is surprised by this! Micro$oft has gotten rich--and powerful--by copying other people's ideas. Remember DOS? Can you say cheap, crippled, single-user, single-tasking rip-off of UNIX? Or how about Windows? Ever heard of Mac? Or what about the innovative concept of tabbed browsing that M$ added to IE--about TEN YEARS after Mozilla/Netscape? Seriously, this is what M$ does.

Speaking of Bing, I don't use it (I never touch ANYTHING from M$), but a while back had to check it out; this blog post illustrates what I found, i.e., that Bing spits out "related searches" that are the OPPOSITE of what the user requested. Gotta love Micro$oft!

20. PSkeptic

PSkeptic Android Expert

Intellectual Property Attorney?

21. Epicurean

Epicurean Android Enthusiast

Man do I HATE that crap. No, seriously.

22. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Are you happy to tell Google where you're going today? If not, I suggest you add Google, and their advertising subsidiary DoubleClick to your hosts file as well. To be perfectly honest, I'm sure Google tracks more internet users than Microsoft.

I've also found Google trying the same, bundling their janky toolbars with shareware. Same with all the junk(Google toolbar, Google Desktop) which sometimes comes bundled on new PCs. Google is primarily an advertising company, thats how they make money. So they have a great interest in tracking individual internet usage. Probably much more so than Microsoft/Bing.

Myself, I tend to use both Bing and Yahoo!, simply because they're usable. Google search often fails completely here, especially with pictures.

23. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Android Expert

Must be limited in Mongolia for whatever reason. Over here in America, if you want to find something, you Google it. They didn't get where they are today because of the pretty colors in their name. It's simply the best search engine you can find.

24. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Yes me living in Inner Mongolia, an autonomous region of China, has everything to do with it.

But your profile says 'Vancouver, British Columbia'. I thought that was in Canada. Sorry if I'm been pedantic, but geography is a favourite subject of mine. ;)

Where I am, when most people want to find something, they use Baidu. Which in this country is far bigger than Google, Bing and Yahoo combined, It's something like 80% Baidu for internet searches in China. I don't use Baidu myself, because I'm English.

I bet Bing will keep a significant share of search, simply because it's the default for IE in Windows. Non-techie PC users may simply not know there is anything else.

25. Frisco

I don't know where outlaw posts from, Canada or the U.S., but both are "America" geographically speaking, "North America" to be exact. ;)

The word "America" is taken to mean, "The Unites States," erroneously in terms of geography, and has been for a long time. But people who do that, call The United States, "America," are doing so out of tradition, not to be correct as to geography, so it's accepted.

It is "The United States of America." Nobody refers to Canada or Mexico, etc as "...of America," or "..of North America," but again, geographically they are.

But geography is one of your favorite subjects. :D

mikedt likes this.