• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root This is why I stick with stock

Nothing wrong with going stock. I'm rooted but actually like HTC Sense. Simply used root to get rid of bloatware, get rid of the Media Manager spam, add wireless tethering, and am getting ready to replace the boot animation.

ROMs can be fun. Enjoyed them immensely when I was more of an active participant in the Windows Mobile scene. I find Android to be pretty flexible and customizable on its own

Upvote 0
I guess I'm in a similiar boat with OP. I just can't find a rom I like, and it sucks. I love sense, virtually everything about it except I absolutely positively DESPISE the dialer/phone book set up. I hate how it syncs my FB friends, like I really want all their numbers in my phone? I don't see why HTC didn't give a simple option of 'Sync with phonebook' like vanilla. I love the widgets HTC offers, ya ya BW replaces the clock but for me, and my device any way, there was a lag after touching the animations that I do not have on stock HTC weather/clock... some roms I install and seem to not get any service, perhaps I'm crazy? I installed one and couldn't get my service past 1x. Doesn't help that my service in my house with my DInc is terrible, whereas my D1 was fantastic, had a constant 1.5mb/s peak and 2.5mb/s off peak. Now I'm lucky if I can get 200kbp/s. /end rant

Upvote 0
I guess I'm in a similiar boat with OP. I just can't find a rom I like, and it sucks. I love sense, virtually everything about it except I absolutely positively DESPISE the dialer/phone book set up. I hate how it syncs my FB friends, like I really want all their numbers in my phone? I don't see why HTC didn't give a simple option of 'Sync with phonebook' like vanilla. I love the widgets HTC offers, ya ya BW replaces the clock but for me, and my device any way, there was a lag after touching the animations that I do not have on stock HTC weather/clock... some roms I install and seem to not get any service, perhaps I'm crazy? I installed one and couldn't get my service past 1x. Doesn't help that my service in my house with my DInc is terrible, whereas my D1 was fantastic, had a constant 1.5mb/s peak and 2.5mb/s off peak. Now I'm lucky if I can get 200kbp/s. /end rant

You might want to try" dialer one" in the market.

Tons of speed dials, unlike stock 9.
You can still spell contacts with dial pad, unlike vanilla dialer.
You can also change the colors in the app.

This is the only dialer I use.

Upvote 0
It was said a bunch of times, but I can't help giving it some more love. Another +1 for Virtuous. I've tried almost all the ROMs out there, both sense and vanilla, and this one takes the cake without a doubt.

I noticed for all the others there was always 1 or 2 'bugs' that were deal breakers for me. I also realized I'm definitely a Sense fan, don't know if I will ever get a non-sense Android phone now. With Virtuous, I've had absolutely no issues, and with King's BFS #4 kernal I've gotten in to the 1600's for quadrant scores. Throw in the Incredible Revolution theme, and it's practically perfection (would be fully perfection if I could get more than 12 hours of battery life)

Upvote 0
You might want to try" dialer one" in the market.

Tons of speed dials, unlike stock 9.
You can still spell contacts with dial pad, unlike vanilla dialer.
You can also change the colors in the app.

This is the only dialer I use.

I looked at Dialer One but didn't see a major reason to switch over the stock HTC dialer. Maybe it's just me. I guess if I had been running Ruby or CM then it would be nice.

Upvote 0
I do get the occasional force close with the latest Cyanogen build but Koush has done a great job fixing problems. If you need bluetooth input support (phyisical keyboards or game controllers) you need this rom. It's also fully vanilla, unlike pretty much any other rom. If you like sense by all means stay stock but I haven't missed it a bit

Upvote 0
I understand the concern and irritation that can be encountered when flashing different, sometimes buggy ROMs, but the advantages are HUGE!

When my phone was stock 2.1, I could barely get 10 hours out of my phone with moderate use. I ended up buying the extended battery (2150 ma) anyway, but now, with a different kernel and SETCpu profiles, I have gone over 24 hours with the stock battery!!!

I am a software developer by profession, so I have a bent toward hacking anyway, but these phones are so open and forgiving that they lend themselves to extreme hacking and modification. There are so many awesome ROM cooks and devs on these boards, that there seems to be an endless supply of neat ROMs to try out if you are so inclined.

I have also really enjoyed the (sometimes not so playful) banter back and forth on these forums as it keeps life interesting. I am still amazed at how many times people ask the same question over and over and over and over again in one thread!

To each his own. If stock is good for you, great, but if not -- you are in the right place!

Peace!

Rob

HTC Incredible
IncredibleDoes MIUI ROM

Upvote 0
When my phone was stock 2.1, I could barely get 10 hours out of my phone with moderate use. I ended up buying the extended battery (2150 ma) anyway, but now, with a different kernel and SETCpu profiles, I have gone over 24 hours with the stock battery!!!

Agree with a lot of your post rob but just curious how you could be getting a full 24 hrs. on a 1300mah battery unless it's just resting in standby most of the time. I bought the 2150mah batt too and never get more than 10-11 hrs with 30% remaining charge (and that's underclocking to minimums with screen off). Of course the use probably differs. I'm on it quite a lot and using twitter, and market install/uninstalls/upgrades so perhaps that's what's causing it. Just curious as I've not heard anyone who's really using the phone and the apps getting 24hrs off the stock batter regardless of the ROM or Kernel used.

Cheers.

Upvote 0
Ok so I am using Redemption Rom 2.0.4 and I have to say it is pretty sweet. Lou has done a good job on it. It is a sense rom that has been deodexed so i can run virtuous nods. I haven't noticed any major bugs. Most of the bugs I ran into werebecause of custom kernels. I will post some more when I can get to a real computer as android forims dont have a forums app yet and pulled Tapatalk support.

Upvote 0
So guess what i did guys? I am using virtous. And I am loving it. Battery is iffy but great. It still comes with bloatware. Any suggestions so that I don't cause too many problems??
Virtuous Buddy is your friend.

You might want to try BFS #5 kernel with Virtuous. I'm getting amazing battery time. My phone has been on current charge for 23 hours and I'm at 71%. This is fairly light use (1:25 wake time). Best kernel out there. Virtuous 3.0.1 and BFS #5 is a great combo. It looks like King is having some issues with his web site though so you might have to wait.
[KERNEL] [2.6.32.15] [HAVS] [BATTFIX] [BFS] [OC] [UV] KiNgxKernel #3/#5 "It's Fixed" - xda-developers

Upvote 0
Agree with a lot of your post rob but just curious how you could be getting a full 24 hrs. on a 1300mah battery unless it's just resting in standby most of the time. I bought the 2150mah batt too and never get more than 10-11 hrs with 30% remaining charge (and that's underclocking to minimums with screen off). Of course the use probably differs. I'm on it quite a lot and using twitter, and market install/uninstalls/upgrades so perhaps that's what's causing it. Just curious as I've not heard anyone who's really using the phone and the apps getting 24hrs off the stock batter regardless of the ROM or Kernel used.

Cheers.

Ok, I may have mis-represented a little bit. This was on a Sunday when I am in church for a while and I was being VERY conservative with my use since I had forgotten my charger at work on Friday (and I had already burned up my 2150mah on Friday and Saturday). Normal use would not get me that much time out of my battery, but it is definitely better than what it was stock. I was using the stock HTC kernel (I'm pretty sure) and Virtuous 2.7 with SETCpu profiles set.

Sorry that I didn't tell "the whole truth" in my initial post :( didn't really mean to mislead...

Rob
HTC Incredible
Virtuous 2.7 ROM w/rEVOLution Theme

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones