• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

This isn't a typical goodbye thread

carmendiva

Android Expert
Feb 11, 2010
New Yor
Hey guysss

Lol i know usually everyday there is a typical "Goodbye thread for every android phone forum" But i have a question

Well my sprint & Htc love affair has ended. Sadly....

I spent 4 hours yesterday without voice ability(i could text fine and browse fine) just not receive calls....

I called Sprint twice and spent 2 hours on the phone with them(to be "disconnected" and told to do a factory reset)

Question of the day....Why and How would a factory reset for my phone do anything to fix the signal? That's more of a hardware thing aka HTC thing and the signal is a software/sprint thing....

Anyway, after spending time with the rude customer service...My friend just ordered a droid but hates the droid and is just getting it because they have an env touch....Well, we decided to switch phones so now we are waiting on her droid to come via fedex so i guess im back to verizon.

Well the issue with Voice has happened again(twice in the past 24 hours) and it appears to be isolated. My daddy has an evo and his is working fine except for his webcam is not working.

My question is...does sprint have an assumption of liability? I ask this because once her droid gets here, my dad will assume liability of her line. In essence basically she passes the line to him, relinquishing her of responsibility. I am on the phone with sprint now but been old for 20 mins :(

Major bummer.

I can't answer your questions, but I can share this helpful advice, unfortunately too late for you.

Organizations with service reps have tiered levels. See Wikipedia - Technical Support.

The rudeness and lack of solution comes - usually - from the Tier 1 support.

I went through the same thing at first with Sprint - long calls to support and idiotic treatment. For four days - no reliably working phone. (Samsung Moment)

In frustration, I emailed Sprint support, link on your web account page, and *briefly* described that I was having a runaround while paying for a working device.

They'll warn you to expect 24 hours before response.

I got an email return from a Tier 3 representative within 8 hours, and with two email exchanges answering his questions, I got a working phone.

I also had a billing dispute, but learning from the above experience, I used email for that as well. They took a little longer to respond, but still within the day, and the response was that they thought they were right, but I was a valued customer and they adjusted my bill anyway.

I have a theory that Sprint receives so many calls on so many things that you're not going to get much management monitoring despite the "this call may be monitored for quality" message. Seems reasonable to me that fewer complaints hit them by email and may therefore they may be REALLY monitored and ESCALATED to Tier 3 more rapidly.

You should have been getting Tier 3 support with the problem you had.

But the real reason I choose to email support was simple:

* With the phone method, not only do you get the wait times and the crap shoot on which rep will help you next, those of us who have been through it all know that despite what they say, rep 3 really doesn't know or believe what rep 2 said, ditto rep 2 for rep 1.

* With email, you get a tracking number and a written history of the exchange.

It seems counter-intuitive to use email to get support for a phone - but as Napoleon is reported to have said to his aide, "Dress me slowly, I'm in a hurry."

Wish I'd paid attention to your posts in the past few days, I could've shared this sooner.

Oh well - you can always use this advice next time (and I hope there won't be one).

Enjoyed your attitude, will miss you around here, peace.

Upvote 0
Question of the day....Why and How would a factory reset for my phone do anything to fix the signal? That's more of a hardware thing aka HTC thing and the signal is a software/sprint thing....
:(

It would eliminate that the phones software had been screwed up by some rogue application. Standard trouble shooting technique.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Awww thank you EarlyMon

I love the Evo forums. It's actually made me more into a tech girl and what not.

I will still be lurking overhear...like that weird ex-gf who still finds a reason to be around her ex lol.

So i'm sure you will still see me here.

Sprint did everything in their power to keep me. I was offered a 20% discount for my troubles and offered a free accesory.

I told her quite honestly that it's ashame that i've been with Sprint for 4/30/2010
and that in almost 2 months time, i have to call up here at least 6-8 times last month and since i've had my evo, 6-8 times in the past few days.

I love the phone as a standalone device(no sprint affiliation). I've dealt with the issues of the screen and touchscreen not being responsive.

But with a webcam failing and working when it feels like it
and not having voice for hours at a time(FYI, there E911 was messed up on my phone...thank god i was not being murdered)
its just not worth it for 20%.

Thank you for your help guys. I hope none of my issues pop up with your evos :)

Upvote 0
Why didn't you try a different phone?

Sprint couldn't send me an Asurion replacement and most of my issues were actually with Sprint so a new phone wouldn't have helped me lol.

Haha besides, i could've gotten my money back but the only phone that appeal to me is the palm pre just because i love webos and it's multi-tasking/synergy but i would feel weird getting...like taking 6 steps backwards

Upvote 0
Awww thank you EarlyMon

I love the Evo forums. It's actually made me more into a tech girl and what not.

Sprint did everything in their power to keep me. I was offered a 20% discount for my troubles and offered a free accesory.

I told her quite honestly that it's ashame that i've been with Sprint for 4/30/2010
and that in almost 2 months time, i have to call up here at least 6-8 times last month and since i've had my evo, 6-8 times in the past few days...

I love the phone as a standalone device(no sprint affiliation). I've dealt with the issues of the screen and touchscreen not being responsive...

But with a webcam failing and working when it feels like it
and not having voice for hours at a time(FYI, there E911 was messed up on my phone...thank god i was not being murdered)
its just not worth it for 20%...
:)

Why didn't you either a) take it to a Sprint store & ask for repair or replacement or b) tell whomever offered you the 20% to send you a new phone OVERNIGHT?! Both of them will fix your problem. I had problems with my BB Tour before I moved up to the Hero and that resolved my problem. I don't doubt your issues (there is always a rotten apple in every barrel) but I do doubt how much you love the phone - if you loved it you wouldn't have let it get away. I'm glad I'm not your boyfriend and had a bad day with you - you'd have dumped me, too! :(

Good luck with where ever you end up and with whatever phone you end up with. Maybe we'll see you back here before long! ;)

Upvote 0
Sprint couldn't send me an Asurion replacement and most of my issues were actually with Sprint so a new phone wouldn't have helped me lol.

Haha besides, i could've gotten my money back but the only phone that appeal to me is the palm pre just because i love webos and it's multi-tasking/synergy but i would feel weird getting...like taking 6 steps backwards
Gotcha. Just remember customer service is never 100% anywhere.

Upvote 0
I will still be lurking overhear...like that weird ex-gf who still finds a reason to be around her ex lol.

Well, there's good weird and bad weird. My good weird ex-gfs still hang around - except I think they're better friends with my wife than me now. (Call out The Uh-Oh Squad.)

So i'm sure you will still see me here.

Hoping so.

New emoticon invented by a friend in another forum, cyclops, wrinkly nose, mouth drawn tight:

o~]

I got my eye on you. And announcing to the Droid forums that you're coming back? Now I REALLY got my eye on you!

O~]

Stay in touch, learn to hate your Droid, pretend to acquiesce to the Sprint Overlords, have your way with them, and come back soonest. ;)

Upvote 0
Why didn't you either a) take it to a Sprint store & ask for repair or replacement or b) tell whomever offered you the 20% to send you a new phone OVERNIGHT?! Both of them will fix your problem. I had problems with my BB Tour before I moved up to the Hero and that resolved my problem. I don't doubt your issues (there is always a rotten apple in every barrel) but I do doubt how much you love the phone - if you loved it you wouldn't have let it get away. I'm glad I'm not your boyfriend and had a bad day with you - you'd have dumped me, too! :(

Good luck with where ever you end up and with whatever phone you end up with. Maybe we'll see you back here before long! ;)

Ahhh you sound like my dad when he said i get bored with things to easily.
I do love the Evo(she will always have a special place in my heart haha)

But thank you :)

Upvote 0

What a shame that you are leaving. My first few months with sprint was hell, but I stucked with them since every one else was at least 30$ dollars more expensive. Needless to say I haven't had an issue for around 9 months now. 20% I wouldve taken it. All carriers screw up, that's why I gave up on Verizon. I have learned that not all carriers all perfect since we the human are running these companies and the last time I checked we aren't perfect either. I wish you could ve stayed. The EVO is the best phone out on the market. I have had build quality issues on mine but I know that I can just exchange it out for a new one. It sucks that a couple of shitty customer service reps have ruined your experience. But I wish you luck. :(/:D

Upvote 0
lol haha i swear Sprint should hire some of you guys when they have customers threatening/considering to leave the network :)
you guys are pretty persuasive lol

Honestly though had it been maybe once or twice and they offered the 20% i so would've jumped on that

But being this many times(i know i've called at least 20 times in 2 months) the twenty percent would save me money but i think i would have been miserable over the course of 2 years. I almost wish i never got the evo because aside from the build quality it is a great phone(i can even deal with the webcam not working and the touchscreen issues, just the fact of the speed and the sheer size, i love it)

i think given the fact sprint's plans are cheap it's almost like you get what you pay for. Not saying go out and get the most expensive company because they will have better CS but with Verizon(had them for 2 years, i was never really annoyed except for billing issues that they quickly fixed).

But thank u ;)

Upvote 0
I have learned that not all carriers all perfect since we the human are running these companies and the last time I checked we aren't perfect either.

YOU are VERY lenient.

Have you ever read the 5 book triology, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?

"Well, you’re obviously being totally naive of course”, said the girl, “When you’ve been in marketing as long as I have, you’ll know that before any new product can be developed it has to be properly researched. We’ve got to find out what people want from fire, how they relate to it, what sort of image it has for them.”

The crowd were tense. They were expecting something wonderful from Ford.
“Stick it up your nose,” he said.

“Which is precisely the sort of thing we need to know,” insisted the girl, “Do people want fire that can be fitted nasally?"

Yes, we're all imperfect humans, but there are a lot of humans that just do not get it.

Cell phone carriers and cable and satellite TV providers have abysmal customer satisfaction ratings - precisely why they compare to each other than to a company that does things right.

Cars

Banks

Cell Phones

Sprint makes big leap forward in customer satisfaction survey

American Customer Satisfaction Index Survey Shows Sprint as Customer Satisfaction Leader

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Upvote 0
Lol alright i'm going to ask a dumb question. Isn't that a movie? if so i didn't realize it was a book lol

Amazon.com: The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide (9780517149256):…

Could ruin your modeling career - you WILL laugh your ass off - and then - you'll walk funny from having no ass.

The movie is not even close.

And yes - it IS a 5 book trilogy.

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

"The Babel fish," said the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy quietly, "is small, yellow and leechlike, and probably the oddest thing in the Universe. It feeds on brainwave energy received not from its own carrier but from those around it. It absorbs all unconscious mental frequencies from this brainwave energy to nourish itself with. It then excretes into the mind of its carrier a telepathic matrix formed by combining the conscious thought frequencies with nerve signals picked up from the speech centers of the brain which has supplied them. The practical upshot of all this is if you stick a Babel fish in your ear you can instantly understand anything said to you in any form of language. The speech patterns you actually hear decode the brainwave matrix which has been fed into your mind by your Babel fish.

Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mindbogglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as a final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God.

The argument goes something like this: "I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But," says man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves that you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. Q.E.D."

"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

"Oh, that was easy," says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.

Upvote 0
YOU are VERY lenient.

Well when you have had tons of problems with all three major carriers, I just learned to live with it. Id rather have issues but pay less then still have issues and pay more. Thats why Im still with sprint. They all have hideous customer service if you ask me. I have better luck though with Sprint Chat.

Upvote 0
(thumbs down)

Oh well.

Well when you have had tons of problems with all three major carriers, I just learned to live with it. Id rather have issues but pay less then still have issues and pay more. Thats why Im still with sprint. They all have hideous customer service if you ask me. I have better luck though with Sprint Chat.

I've had plenty of trouble. Ask me about my over $7000 bill in one month from AT&T.

I haven't learned to live with it by excusing them as imperfectly human as most people I know.

Yeah, sure - whoever was responsible at Sprint for causing my data plan record to get into conflict with the voice plan part so that my account couldn't update properly and just churned?

Sure, human error, happens to all of us.

The rep that insisted I simply did not understand what the previous rep told me and that I what I wanted was impossible and offered to cancel me from Sprint if I wanted to keep complaining (VERY patiently and politely, I might add)? - until I had her check and see that it was just fine on my wife's account?

That's not an imperfect human - that's a lowlife clown.

I've learned to live with them too. I laugh at them.

You can't be 4 feet tall and play in the NBA.

But somehow, sometimes, people with very low intelligence do rise to positions of decision making in large corporations.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones