• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

This just in... Apple is calling the S4 an infringing product.

I really don't see where all this emotion is coming from over this announcement.

+1!

Please see the last portion of Slug's post above:

Slug said:
Btw, fair warning to everyone.... this topic may end up moving to the Android Lounge or even Politics & Current Affairs, depending on how it develops. No need to get any panties bunched up if it does - we simply prefer to keep device-specific forums clear of more general subject matter, and this definitely has implications beyond just the S4.

p.s. If it degenerates into a slag-fest it will be locked down. While I understand the pro-Android bias, try to remember that there's very likely a similar topic running on various iOS forums saying exactly the same about Samsung. The only winners here in the long term are the lawyers - all end-users, regardless of preference, will likely suffer to some extent.

Let's keep the discussion level-headed / polite / respectful to all parties being discussed (don't want to remove any more posts ;) :)).

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Not really...The iPhone sells more than the S3/S4/Note/Note2 individually. It sells more than the Note 2. It is more reasonable to compare phone model to phone model instead of comparing phone model to phone model(S).

I think I didn't describe my point well enough. What I meant is that Samsung cannibalizes it's own market share by releasing multiple devices within a calendar year. Apple doesn't because they only release one a year. So because of that, it skews Samsung's numbers towards the lower end on individual devices. You would probably see a similar tend if apple followed the same scheme.

Upvote 0
Well, when your competition is waving around patents like nuclear weapons how else are you supposed to protect yourself?

I agree, Apple isn't the only offender here. Samsung, Nokia, HTC, and a number of others are guilty of the same behavior. But it does seem, at least to me, that Apple has a vendetta against anything that's not an iPhone in the mobile space. It's like they can't stand having competition in the market and that they want to be only device in the market and they will stop at nothing to make sure that that happens. Apple is not in any way a good corporate citizen.

That is the kind of behavior that I can't stand. And that is the chief reason why I will NEVER buy another Apple product EVER in my life! And I will continue to convince people that I encounter to not buy Apple products because of that reason.

So it's okay for Samsung and other phone manufactures to copy Apple then? LOL. They have to protect themselves. Not Apples fault that many copied them when the iphone came out.

Upvote 0
The problem is that most of these patent issues revolve around software patents. You want to know what software patents are all about?

So, there's this bunch of guys and gals standing round a water cooler, and someone says "how will the user know there's nothing more to display as they get to the end of a list" and someone says "why not make the list 'bounce'". Ten minutes later the coding is done, and everyone goes "wow, neat". They show it to their boss, who says "we can patent this". Cue the patent attorneys and other non-productive droids, who spend six months or more doing the paper work.

That's what software patents are all about!

Software patents should be illegal and all existing software patents should be invalidated!

Upvote 0
I think I didn't describe my point well enough. What I meant is that Samsung cannibalizes it's own market share by releasing multiple devices within a calendar year. Apple doesn't because they only release one a year. So because of that, it skews Samsung's numbers towards the lower end on individual devices. You would probably see a similar tend if apple followed the same scheme.

They only have 1 device that competes with the latest iPhone though. The S3/S4 now.

Upvote 0
I had to use an iPhone 4 for a few weeks while waiting for the GS4 to become available. I nearly went insane using it. Not a day went by that I wasn't muttering about how I hated the phone. People used to say I didn't like iPhone because I hadn't tried it. Well I tried it, and was never so happy in my life as when I came back to Android.

Apple phones are inferior in my opinion.

It's just the opposite. Those who said you didn't like the iphone because you hadn't tried it hadn't tried and android themselves.

I've tried both. There's no comparison.

Upvote 0
I have NEVER (and will never) pay one cent to use an Apple product. I have only used iTunes to hear the 1st 30 seconds of a song to see if a particular song is the one I am thinking of.

As far as I know, you can't purchase items from iTunes and use them on another device due to Apple being themselves. You should be able to use ANYTHING you buy on anything you desire and Apple just don't let you do that.

The ONLY reason why the iPhone outsells any Android phone is there is only ONE iPhone and probably 100s of Android released at a particular time.

Upvote 0
I have NEVER (and will never) pay one cent to use an Apple product. I have only used iTunes to hear the 1st 30 seconds of a song to see if a particular song is the one I am thinking of.

As far as I know, you can't purchase items from iTunes and use them on another device due to Apple being themselves. You should be able to use ANYTHING you buy on anything you desire and Apple just don't let you do that.

The ONLY reason why the iPhone outsells any Android phone is there is only ONE iPhone and probably 100s of Android released at a particular time.

You actually can use most iTunes purchases on other devices (DRM-free). I have most of my iTunes-purchased music uploaded to Google Music.

Upvote 0
They only have 1 device that competes with the latest iPhone though. The S3/S4 now.
Note 2?

Depends on how you define "competes". If someone wants a flagship then the Note range counts IMO. But what about the person who wants "this year's phone" but it doesn't have to be the top model (you know they exist)? For that person there's only one iPhone, but many Samsung (or other) choices. Or someone for whom 16GB isn't enough - again, that person has to buy the iPhone 5 even if they'd have been happy with a 4, but doesn't have to buy an S4.

Different people have different needs, so competition can be more complicated than just one model vs another.

Back to the original topic, why would anyone be surprised?

Upvote 0
Of course they would! Apple will not have their new model with a bigger display now until next year, so are going to release a refresh of the same design as the "5s". Apple knows they need to offer a bigger display, so can only do what they can to slow Samsung down.

Their only chance to slow momentum is through litigation.

Upvote 0
Apple really is starting to get on my bad side. If you ask me they need to start 'thinking different' and stop spending all their time suing Samsung. Reminds me of the person that sued McDonalds for spilling coffee on their self. They're just desperate to make the poor Samsung people look bad and they want their money. Apple is the downfall of humanity

Upvote 0
I had plenty of discussions with iSheeps at my work. Maybe 2 years ago they had some valid points and were able to hold their ground talking about whatever version of iPhone was up, but with time passing by I'm the one doing talking (S3, N2, S4) and they have nothing to say in return to defend their phone. What's new coming up with iPhone 5S (or whatever that version is) a fingerprint reader built into home button?!? A more advance camera? Anything else groundbreaking?

Competition is great, it drives innovation. But due to it's lack of innovation, IMHO Apple is going to get hit hard from Wall Street who will downgrade the company. That's just my opinion. When that's going to happen, they will get off their arse, stop suing Samsung, and will get back to their R&D to squeeze more innovations.

Upvote 0

Apple hasn't released a new device in turns of innovation only a rehash of their OS and few tweaks in the design of the original iPhone. Apple is turning to Robbie Rotten tactics to deter or slow down the sales of competing devices that Samsung and other phone manufacturers currently have on the market or bringing to the market.

Apple would have to release a new unique device to recapture the smartphone markets attention again beside appeasing stock holders.

Upvote 0
Well, when your competition is waving around patents like nuclear weapons how else are you supposed to protect yourself?

I agree, Apple isn't the only offender here. Samsung, Nokia, HTC, and a number of others are guilty of the same behavior. But it does seem, at least to me, that Apple has a vendetta against anything that's not an iPhone in the mobile space. It's like they can't stand having competition in the market and that they want to be only device in the market and they will stop at nothing to make sure that that happens. Apple is not in any way a good corporate citizen.

That is the kind of behavior that I can't stand. And that is the chief reason why I will NEVER buy another Apple product EVER in my life! And I will continue to convince people that I encounter to not buy Apple products because of that reason.

I agree with you. And that's even BEFORE the recent congressional hearing with Apple's CEO this week where they are stashing billions of dollars offshore to not pay any taxes, and he said that mega corporations like Apple should only pay single digit taxes while the rest of us poor working scmucks have to pay close to 50% in taxes.

Corporations like Apple benefit from the same public services (roads, infrastructure, police, fire department, military defense, etc) as the rest of us do. Why does Apple as a hugely successful multi billion dollar conglomerate feel they shouldn't have to pay as much in taxes as you and I do? Makes me despise Apple even more than I already do. Which is really to bad because they do make good quality devices. I just can't stand their forced ecosystem, their lack of customization (simple interface), and their business practices.

Upvote 0
Problems arise when you are able to copyright things like swyping to unlock or phones shaped like a rectangle...

Right, those are really "concepts" and not specific inventions. Technically they shouldn't be able to patent "concepts" such as swype to unlock, however they can patent the code they wrote to make that functionality work. Which is a slippery slope because at what point does that mean one company has a monopoly on all possible ways of interacting with a touch screen device, thereby eliminating any competition and stifling innovation?

Upvote 0
@bobby: Google are getting a lot of tax questions too.

A recent study found only 2 of the FTSE 100 companies weren't operating subsidiaries in tax havens, and some were operating several hundred such outfits. It's a fair assumption that all big corporates are at this - this week's Apple story seems a particularly blatant and unapologetic case of shenanigans, but I wonder how common that trick is.

Anyway, slightly off the topic of competition by lawyer ;)

Upvote 0
@bobby: Google are getting a lot of tax questions too.

A recent study found only 2 of the FTSE 100 companies weren't operating subsidiaries in tax havens, and some were operating several hundred such outfits. It's a fair assumption that all big corporates are at this - this week's Apple story seems a particularly blatant and unapologetic case of shenanigans, but I wonder how common that trick is.

Anyway, slightly off the topic of competition by lawyer ;)

I agree this is much more widespread than just Apple. Apple's blatant admission of the practice to congress and the publicity associated to the congressional hearing the other day, just brought the practice to a head. So it's not just Apple, for sure.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones