1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support This may be a dumb question, but...

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by TakaFox, Mar 16, 2016.

1. TakaFox

TakaFox Lurker
    None

Mar 16, 2016
    Male
    I recently recieved a phone from my friend. It's an LG Optimus L60, and he had dropped it in a lake by accident. Initially, when I recieved it, I couldn't turn it on at all, due to the battery. It wouldn't hold a charge at all, so I opted to buy a brand new battery. Well today (3/16/16), I got the new battery, and it lets the phone power on, but my problem(s) are these:

1. After the MetroPCS screen(s), the phone immediately shuts off.

2. When attempting to charge the phone via computer and USB, a message stating the battery is too hot/too cold appears, even though the battery is at room temperature.

3. When attempting to charge via wall outlet, the phone constantly reboots itself.

Yes, I'm aware that phones can rarely be saved after a water accident, but I was optimistic about this. I've already factory reset the phone via Recovery Mode, and I can't do anything else. Any suggestions? Or am I just a little too hopeful?

Advertisement

2. Fox Mulder

VIP Member

Feb 19, 2012
    NYC
    Assuming some time has passed since it got dunked, the damage is done and most likely permanent.
    Was it fresh or salt water? If the latter, throw the phone in the garbage now. If the former, take five minutes to think about it and then throw it in the garbage. Either way it's about 99.99999% probable you're wasting your time. Too bad you spent money on a battery.

scary alien likes this.
  3. TakaFox

TakaFox Lurker
    None

Mar 16, 2016
    Male
    I'm not sure, honestly. My friend was in Florida doing this, if that helps any. But you're probably right, since it's been a while since the incident happened.

Honestly, I don't really care about it too much now. It would have been a really nice to have, Hence my posting this thread. Luckily the battery wasn't expensive.

4. Fox Mulder

VIP Member

Feb 19, 2012
    NYC
    Ok, yeah sorry for the negative response but just being realistic and it shouldn't be a shock that it probably can't be saved. If you want a science project you can try disassembling the phone to see what it looks like inside, and if there are visible deposits on the circuit boards that may be conductive you can try washing it down and after thorough drying put it together and turn it on. Also once it's opened up it should be apparent if it was salt water.

5. TakaFox

TakaFox Lurker
    None

Mar 16, 2016
    Male
    It couldn't hurt to at least try to do that, I suppose. And don't worry about being negative. I more or less expected this outcome as it is. I'm just disappointed, because the nerd in me is waiting for a new app and my phone is running too low of an android version to run it.

6. Fox Mulder

VIP Member

Feb 19, 2012
    NYC
    Your phone must be pretty ancient then, the L60 isn't exactly the latest device.

7. TakaFox

TakaFox Lurker
    None

Mar 16, 2016
    Male
    Well my phone is running android 4.1.1, if that's any indication.

8. batboy

batboy Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    maybe you can try to put it in silica gel to extract moisture.

9. ThePhizzle

ThePhizzle Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 4, 2015
    Male
    Development
    Fresno,California
    L60 is an older device which means it's at its destination in time where it's bound to slow down it's processing and fail to run some programs fully functional, and without previous track record such as did it operate properly before it went for a swim, has it been dropped before and if so how many times, was it rooted(not really required information) but still handy to know, was it disassembled in previous ownership, it may have been malfunctioning before it reached your possession and was given to you as is due to the previous owner having his fill of frustration caused by technical errors,and in the end it is possible to repair your device to working order but will more than likely continue to downslope to a eventually bricked device it would be most wise to just place it in one of those booths that you place the phones you don't want anymore in for the ticket you turn in for cash, than to waste time and effort on a device that may be to damaged to save, but it's really only up to you,in conclusion it just the harsh reality is the natural arch enemy to the electronic devices is water. But still hopes. Everything works out for you.

10. Bearsyzf

Bearsyzf Android Expert

Jul 23, 2010
    Male
    Sandy Eggo, Ca
    The only dumb question is the one unasked :rolleyes: