1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

This might be a stupid question but I can't find the answer anywhere.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Slickinator, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Slickinator

Slickinator Android Enthusiast

If I wanted to flash a ROM I'd have to wipe my phone right? But does it just wipe /system and /data or everything including pictures and music? I'm coming from a phone that only wiped the system I wanted to know if it was any different for the Nexus 5, thanks.

2. Incakola

Incakola Android Enthusiast

With most Roms you are going to have to wipe data/cache and dalvik cause most likely you chose a ROM that will have a different sources than the one you have installed. That's why you gotta have a backup somewhere (recovery or titanium). With cm11 Roms it's best you also format /system as well to get a clean install. Also to answer your question about your personal files, the factory reset (in recovery) option that wipes data and cache, does not affect your internal "memory card." Wiping the data mostly refers to the user apps and the data they downloaded. Your pics and music (not cached music) will be safe.

Rxpert83 and Slickinator like this.
  3. Slickinator

Slickinator Android Enthusiast

Ahh okay, thank you, I was thinking i had to backup all my personal files every time I flashed a ROM

4. sprof

sprof Lurker

It's a good idea to do so. I always do and save a copy to the cloud and my PC.

5. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Pictures, music, ect stored to the "SD card" (ie internal storage) will not get wiped. Custom recoveries are designed to skip this during the normal data wipe.

If you are on the STOCK recovery, a factory reset WILL wipe all of this data

Incakola and Slickinator like this.

Nexus 5 Forum

The Nexus 5 release date was November 2013. Features and Specs include a 4.95" screen, 8MP camera, Snapdragon 800 processor, 2300mAh battery, and 2GB storage.

November 2013
Release Date
Reviews