• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

This Phone Does...Everything

butie120

Aug 14, 2011
So I've had the phone for a couple of weeks and I can't say enough good things about it. It's so blazing fast and as my first smart phone, I'm extremely impressed. From the way it handles processing speed to the camera, and to the pure functionality of it, it's something like no other.

I want to add something for those who are teetering on the fence about this device. This phone has now replaced my iPod for listening to music. Not only do the speakers outshine that of the external one's on the new iPods, but it's much quicker in terms of response time. There will be times on my iPod where I will click "next" or "back" to change songs and it will pause for a moment or two to find the song within the hard drive. This phone NEVER has that issue. I've made playlists or just went from artist to artist, and it responds the instant I hit a button (I use MixZing for my music player, a free app in the market). The sound is clear and you can even adjust volume with the buttons on the side while the phone is locked. Genious.

All in all, I'm so impressed by this device. Easy to use, yet complex enough for those that want ultimate customization. Go buy.

I have to agree with you, I have only one complaint and it is nothing really. I had the epic 4g before the photon, but the photon definatly out does it in ever aspect except the display. The epic's colors where a bit more vibrant. But I think that is why the battery drained so quickly when I heavily used the epic.

Upvote 0
... I have to agree with you. Before buying this phone, I was a true HTC loyalist and did not think I would ever buy any other handset but HTC. However, when the EVO 3D came out, although I thought it was a decent phone, I was a bit disappointed by the lack of a kickstand (with a toddler at home, no kickstand was a deal breaker for me).

When the Photon came out, I really had no interest in it whatsoever. I mean, Motorola? Come on now, Motorola doing something "cutting edge" with Android? Okay, I know they had the Droid, etc., but my last dealing with Motorola was the Razor and I just thought they didn't keep up with the rest of the pack. However, I kept on seeing more and more people jumping on board about this phone and raving about it. After reading various bloggers and tech reviewers reaping praise on the Photon, my interest started moving to "Hmmmmm." When I finally got my hands on one and took a look at it, I thought, "Well, it's actually a nice phone."

Now, having had the phone for a week or so, I honestly can say I LOVE this phone. In my opinion, THIS phone seems like more of a successor to the original EVO (minus Sense). It's extremely responsive and quick, has decent battery life (compared to my EVO) and its antenna strength seems to be better than my original EVO. Although I'm sure there may be bugs that will emerge in time, I have no regrets.

Upvote 0
Same here. I was an HTC guy OG EVO, wife has the EVO Shift, but once I found out Google was buying Moto Mobility, and it was a no brainer. Google didn't spend all that money for their phones to come in 2nd. They will get tested 1st and updated by 1st. Watch and see. My 3G on the Photon is better and after manually updating it last week, my WiFi signal is stronger.

The Photon is a great Beast of a Phone on par with the SGS2. Screen looks Great (watched the The Thing on the NetFlix and it looked like Amazing. I was waiting for the SGS2 but am Glad I pulled the trigger on the Photon. Sammy is not known for timely updates, ask Epic owners about Froyo

Upvote 0
I honestly didn't think this phone would make as dramatic an impact on me as it has. I had been a HTC loyalist for the past 4/5 years (HTC Mogul>Touch Pro>EVO). I kept up with Motorola's android phones, primarily to know how they stacked up against the EVO.

Now that I have a MoPho and Google owns Motorola...I may stick with Motorola for quite some time.

Upvote 0
Sammy is not known for timely updates, ask Epic owners about Froyo

UGH! Don't remind me! We waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, heard rumors, a leak or two, waited, and waited, and waited, another leak, rumors, and waited, an OTA update of Froyo got officially released! Oh crap! It bricked my phone! I came here to read that Sprint had pulled the OTA update after going live after customers called to complain that it messed up their phones. GREAT! So, I waited, and waited, and waited, another leak, and waited and waited and waited. Finally I got the official, official, release of Froyo and my Epic still sucks.

Now go to the Epic forum here and ask them about Gingerbread. You may want to wear a helmet and encase yourself in armor first... :D

Upvote 0
UGH! Don't remind me! We waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, heard rumors, a leak or two, waited, and waited, and waited, another leak, rumors, and waited, an OTA update of Froyo got officially released! Oh crap! It bricked my phone! I came here to read that Sprint had pulled the OTA update after going live after customers called to complain that it messed up their phones. GREAT! So, I waited, and waited, and waited, another leak, and waited and waited and waited. Finally I got the official, official, release of Froyo and my Epic still sucks.

Now go to the Epic forum here and ask them about Gingerbread. You may want to wear a helmet and encase yourself in armor first... :D

From my experience with Samsung after owning the Moment, I told myself I'd never buy another Samsung phone again. Reading your post reaffirmed my beliefs. The old adage, give good customer service and you'll have a repeat customer. Give bad customer service, and he/she will tell dozens of his friends about it. Based on my experience with the Moment and others regarding their experience with their Epics, we alone convinced half our office to stay away from Samsung phones. I guess Samsung doesn't put much emphasis on creating good will and the overall customer experience.

Upvote 0

uhhhhhh yeah.....did we mention the GPS issues???:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I am so freaking tickled with this phone......ohhhhh and the battery ife....like right now i had a (below for some of you) but an avg day...few calls, some texts, little browsing... uhhhhh 40% after an 17 hr day...ill take it

ohhhhh and for music.....go get power amp...pay the $5 it is awesome

Upvote 0
So I've had the phone for a couple of weeks and I can't say enough good things about it. It's so blazing fast and as my first smart phone, I'm extremely impressed. From the way it handles processing speed to the camera, and to the pure functionality of it, it's something like no other.

I want to add something for those who are teetering on the fence about this device. This phone has now replaced my iPod for listening to music. Not only do the speakers outshine that of the external one's on the new iPods, but it's much quicker in terms of response time. There will be times on my iPod where I will click "next" or "back" to change songs and it will pause for a moment or two to find the song within the hard drive. This phone NEVER has that issue. I've made playlists or just went from artist to artist, and it responds the instant I hit a button (I use MixZing for my music player, a free app in the market). The sound is clear and you can even adjust volume with the buttons on the side while the phone is locked. Genious.

All in all, I'm so impressed by this device. Easy to use, yet complex enough for those that want ultimate customization. Go buy.
The one thing i dont quite like about it when using it as a music player is the interface is not easy to navigate to other artists once you've selected the song t be played. I would have expected to be able to go back to the music library list withing one or two touches without going back completely to the home screen.

outside of that... yeah that darn thing does everything :)

Upvote 0
We have 3 original Samsung Instincts on our family plan. The Instinct has been a solid performer, is just the right size, and the battery lasts for days.

That said, there was exactly one update to the software, back when it was new, and the update bricked one of the 3.

I love my Photon. My son, who has one of the Instincts, is getting the SGS2 in a couple weeks. He's waited quite patiently for it. I have a week or so to take back the Photon, but it's staying.

And I don't agree about the screen. Every AMOLED screen I've looked at looks like a cartoon. <Disclaimer: I only watch video on my phone on the rare occasion, and then it's some Youtube vid.> I'll be anxious to see it side-by-side in direct sunlight next to the Photon.

Upvote 0
The one thing i dont quite like about it when using it as a music player is the interface is not easy to navigate to other artists once you've selected the song t be played. I would have expected to be able to go back to the music library list withing one or two touches without going back completely to the home screen.

outside of that... yeah that darn thing does everything :)

Try out PowerAmp on the Market as your music player.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.maxmpz.audioplayer&feature=search_result

It runs beautifully and flawlessly on the Photon and its interface is very intuitive and easy to navigate. I almost guarantee that you'll have no regrets. I got the paid version originally on my EVO and LOVE it on my Photon.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I honestly didn't think this phone would make as dramatic an impact on me as it has. I had been a HTC loyalist for the past 4/5 years (HTC Mogul>Touch Pro>EVO). I kept up with Motorola's android phones, primarily to know how they stacked up against the EVO.

Now that I have a MoPho and Google owns Motorola...I may stick with Motorola for quite some time.

Been an HTC loyalist also...

Just got back from sprint store (i'm a cell phone store lurker:)) and i was TOTALLY blown away by the photon!!!! Is it running blur? Cause everything was beautifully smooth. LOVED IT!!

Love the 'data saver' option or whatever it is called. Thats a moto thing?

Phone felt awesome in my hand as well, perfect size weight feel...

Hoping the bionic is as cool as this and moto may just get another htc convert....

Upvote 0
Been an HTC loyalist also...

Just got back from sprint store (i'm a cell phone store lurker:)) and i was TOTALLY blown away by the photon!!!! Is it running blur? Cause everything was beautifully smooth. LOVED IT!!

Love the 'data saver' option or whatever it is called. Thats a moto thing?

Phone felt awesome in my hand as well, perfect size weight feel...

Hoping the bionic is as cool as this and moto may just get another htc convert....

It's running whatever modified Motorola UI (fka Motoblur) as they put on the Droid 3, from what I remember. I didn't really care for it much and switched back to using LPP the 2nd day...LOL. And the widgets are downright ugly compared to Sense's widgets (but if you do use sense, you could always get Colorized Widgets and I believe there's one other that provides similar looking widgets to Sense).

From the videos I've seen of the Bionic, I don't think you'll be disappointed at all! What I'm really hoping for is cross-compatibility with Moto accessories between the Bionic and the MoPho! Especially if the batteries are cross compatible (which, from what I've seen, they might not be...but still holding out hope).

Upvote 0
Yea the 'new' blur (whatever they call it) seems to be much improved. Not really a fan of LP, daughter has ADW on her nook and its alright.... Love my sense though, just not sure i can wait fore the Vigor...

Was just really surprised by the photon cause i have NEVER been a fan of moto since the razor days....

Cant wait till next thursday see what the bionic is packin:). If its anthing like the photon then i know i wont be disappointed

Upvote 0
Yea the 'new' blur (whatever they call it) seems to be much improved. Not really a fan of LP, daughter has ADW on her nook and its alright.... Love my sense though, just not sure i can wait fore the Vigor...

Was just really surprised by the photon cause i have NEVER been a fan of moto since the razor days....

Cant wait till next thursday see what the bionic is packin:). If its anthing like the photon then i know i wont be disappointed

Yeah, not a lot of people are a fan of some of the aftermarket launchers. I will say there are a bunch of apps that have been made with "Sense-Like" features. For the locker, there's an app for the Sense 3.0 locker to be used on non-Sense phones (no pun intended). And I know there are a bunch of themes that are connected to the different launchers that provide Sense-like feel as well. The widgets, I already mentioned.

Just want my fellow staff member to be prepared, in the event you stick give Moto a shot. ; )

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
Thanks... Before going to sprint today i would of said Hell No!! But after playing with the photon I was so impressed i might just get one (bionic most likely, not ready to leave vzw):)

I have seen sense roms for non htc phones, lol!!

Its the reason i went HTC initially... i was rom'ing the hell outta my Omnia (winmo:)) and all the roms had stuff that made my phone look more like a htc phone even then, lol

Upvote 0
Thanks... Before going to sprint today i would of said Hell No!! But after playing with the photon I was so impressed i might just get one (bionic most likely, not ready to leave vzw):)

I have seen sense roms for non htc phones, lol!!

Its the reason i went HTC initially... i was rom'ing the hell outta my Omnia (winmo:)) and all the roms had stuff that made my phone look more like a htc phone even then, lol

I'm keeping an eye out on the Costco Bionic deal for some family and friends. If that ends up being a real deal...that'd be hard to beat anywhere ($299 for Phone, Car Dock, Extra Battery, Battery Charger, Regular Dock). If they had this type of deal for the MoPho at launch, I'd have been all over it. I still got a good deal on my docks via Sprint Premier discount, but this deal sounds even better.

Here's the thread, if you hadn't already been participating:
http://androidforums.com/motorola-d...iscussion-thread-including-q-yankeedudel.html

Nice! So, you'll obviously be rom'ing up the Bionic (assuming the bootloader is unlocked fairly quickly, just like the MoPho was).

Upvote 0
Try out PowerAmp on the Market as your music player.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.maxmpz.audioplayer&feature=search_result

It runs beautifully and flawlessly on the Photon and its interface is very intuitive and easy to navigate. I almost guarantee that you'll have no regrets. I got the paid version originally on my EVO and LOVE it on my Photon.

PowerAMP is BANGING. I bought it today. Love it. Thanks Bro:D There is also a Free App called Equalizer that I use with PowerAMP (I have it set to HipHop, Have it on my Xoom as well) and I have to turn down the volume. I have a pair of Shure Headphones built for Bass and they are getting a workout, BIGTIME. Good looking out;) Guess I DON'T have to carry my 32 iPod Touch anymore. I also have an extra battery (the Photon OEM Battery just in case). I also have the Car Dock. Loving this phone.

Came from an OG EVO. My wife's Photon will be here tomorrow via UPS. As soon as she saw mine, she had to have it. She has the EVO SHift 4G (will give to our daughter). The Photon KILLS the EVO in SPeed and the 3G is Great.

Upvote 0
I honestly didn't think this phone would make as dramatic an impact on me as it has. I had been a HTC loyalist for the past 4/5 years (HTC Mogul&gt;Touch Pro&gt;EVO). I kept up with Motorola's android phones, primarily to know how they stacked up against the EVO.

Drex, well stated; couldn't have said it better myself. I shared the same feelings as you, HTC loyalist to the core with a passing interest on Motorola. HOWEVER.....I have been drawn in by the look, style, and specs of the MOPHO. Very pleased with the purchase, as well as Moto's seemingly continual commitment to improve the stability of the Software.

RIGGY

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones