1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

This phone feels upside down..

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Roroco, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Roroco

Roroco Well-Known Member

It is uncanny for me how I am always grabbing this phone upside down. I am coming from the OG Droid whose volume button is where the power button is on the GNex. But also, the notification LED and headphone jack are on the bottom.

This phone just feels twisted to me. I am sure I will get used to it in a few days, but I was wondering if anyone else felt this vertical vertigo?

Dubbin1 likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 Android Expert

Yeah I keep doing the same thing :) I'm sure when my case gets here it will solve that little problem.

3. clb2196

clb2196 Android Enthusiast

Same here! The case (I had a TPu, now using the Barely There one) does help. But the first 2 days or so, every time I picked it up upside down lol. I think I see the front facing camera, and think it's the LED, too.

4. Roroco

Roroco Well-Known Member

Theoretically, it should perform the exact same right side up or upside down.

5. clb2196

clb2196 Android Enthusiast

Once you manage to find the power button, though. :D That's my issue- pick it up, fumble for a few seconds while I try to turn it on.

6. badandy0014

badandy0014 Newbie

When I first saw photos of this phone I thought I was going to have that problem, but since it's been in my palms virtually all day, I've gotten quite used to it. I tried holding it upside-down and it felt weird to me. The center of gravity is too high and the phone felt like it wanted to flip on me when upside down. Just my 2 cents =]

7. CAMAN

CAMAN Member

Unless you're trying to use the phone as...a phone...:D

Yeahha, Logank and IndecisiveElle like this.
  8. Roroco

Roroco Well-Known Member

I will agree that the design makes sense. The headphone jack should be on the bottom. It moves the cable out of the way and it helps dock creators by putting all the connections in one place.

It will just take me a while to get used to. :D

9. Roroco

Roroco Well-Known Member

There is that.... :D

Although, I use my phone as an actual phone less and less these days.

10. T-Keith

T-Keith Android Enthusiast

I thought the bump on top made sense for the Razr, keeping it from slipping through your hands. But the ports on top is one of the worst ideas ever. I sometimes use my phone plugged in and it's a huge pain with the cable coming out the top or side. I hated that about the Incredible.(honestly it was one of the reasons I bought the Nexus)

foo likes this.
  11. KevinMXoom

KevinMXoom Newbie

I really wish they had a 180 degree rotation option. With virtual buttons, it makes complete sense.

12. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 Android Expert

But if they did that we would really be screwed up :)

13. Jersey Tom

Jersey Tom Android Enthusiast

Got me flipped up as well, coming from DX.

I do like having the USB and headphone jack on the bottom though.

14. NF3RNO

NF3RNO Newbie

Coming from DX as well and I keep having to flip it.

15. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

I can confess a case helps quite a bit with this. It is very easy to feel where the camera is on the back. But with the phone being naked it is easy to hold it upside down in error. I came from the Thunderbolt.

16. ebe3692

ebe3692 Well-Known Member

I had this problem too until I moved to Australia. Now it works perfectly.

streetfish, dyno, Jersey Tom and 2 others like this.
  17. kbimler

kbimler Lurker

And here I thought I was the only one. I also came from an OG, and I am constantly picking this phone up the wrong way. Oh well. I am sure I will figure it out.

18. camphill

camphill Well-Known Member

I'd like a screen protector come out with an imprint "This Side Up".

Although seriously I too have been picking the thing up wrong since day one. A screen protector with a imprint at the top would give a visual clue when picking it up. Maybe it could say GO PENS!

19. trophynuts

trophynuts Extreme Android User

same here...almost a week into it and i'm still grabbing it upside down lol

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews