• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

this phone is freaking joke

After upgrading to 2.2, haven not received one gmail on the phone. Just checked my laptop, I have 79 new emails.
"sync is having problems..."
Do not use this phone if your business is dependent on it.

I am sorry to hear you are having problems, you might want to try taking it to a Sprint store to see if they can help you correct your email settings.

Personally; I love this phone, I do use it for business and flawlessly. But keep in mind that it is a phone, you could lose it, break it, etc... The phone is not the problem, rather a setting that is incorrect or got messed up.

Good luck, I hope you get it resolved soon.

Upvote 0
There's a workaround suggested for this in this thread:

http://androidforums.com/support-troubleshooting-evo-4g/141369-how-fix-froyo-2.html

And at least one full thread devoted to the problem.

This isn't a flame - this is really, really good advice:

• Never try to configure your phone with your blood pressure up and your s.o. laughing at you over a BB.

Others have found that a lower internal temperature leads to fewer mistakes when configuring a phone, but it's your life and your phone, you do what you think best.

Regarding the stock Mail app:

Also, as others are suggesting, you can configure all GMail in the stock built-in Mail app and then simply set a short polling time.

Your mileage may vary, but I've been using just the stock Mail app for everything since day one (6/6 for me) and have never been at Google's whim. You can define your peak usage hours (if you want 24/7 peak service, that's an option) and have it check for mail every 5 minutes.

And you can define peak hours and frequencies separately for each account.

To top it off, it handles Exchange, POP and IMAP servers. (edit-- You set up GMail as IMAP - just enter account name and password and let it handle all the server stuff - it already knows how. Same for all other popular services, such as MobileMe and others.)

Aside from providing sophisticated folder management, it's a totally superior tool.

The Mail app itself comes courtesy of HTC.

If like others you find it a better tool than GMail as so many others do, you will then understand the hostility you're facing by calling an HTC phone a joke because of something that Google screwed up.

Not much is more frustrating that the situation you're describing.

Best luck to you on this.

And by the way - if you do decide to go with the Mail app, keep the phone and have other Froyo troubles, that link above is liable to help you fix those as well.

Cheers.

PS - Remember to set the signature for outgoing mail for that professional touch.

Upvote 0
My boyfriend is laughing because my BB with same emails is constantly beeping of incoming email.
What a joke of this evo

FYI, my girl friend just called to inform me that her company sent her an email stating she has to report for her night shift. She never got that email because guess what phone she has/had.

:thinking:

Obvious troll is obvious!

Reactions: heavychevy
Upvote 0
Let's play the game and not play the OP.

It's for the best, it will keep the thread clean.

Besides - never met a woman who did not not have girl friends.

I have girl friends - and I'm married.

Let it go.

The OP is under duress, let's just try to help instead of catcalling.

Nancy - kindly have your friend-girl note my hopefully helpful post above.

Upvote 0
Your s.o. starts laughing at you, a good friend gets in trouble in work, you gotta expect a little venom.

My attorney always advises me thus: Everyone in life gets one free bite out of you - if they take it, look away. You don't whack them until they go for a second one.

His way of saying to count to ten.

As for the title thread - Book. Cover. Judge.

No worries, mate - let's just pitch in, identify the issue and help out.

Upvote 0
Wow this is a touchy thread.

First off I have 2 Exchange Mail accounts using stock Mail for one and TouchDown for the other and I have Gmail.

All 3 comes instantly.

No this appears to be a sporadic issue...but for 1 poster to actually say that "most" people posting have the issue is kind of ignorant...do you reallllllly think every person who purchased the EVO are on here?????

So really do the math and have step back and slow down.

Im in IT as an admin and I do escalated support and more often than not it is user error or configuration. Now, legitimately people are more or less technical and yes it could be Google's issue or have no patients to troubleshoot.

At the very least , create a new Gmail account. FOLLOW instuctions and set it on your EVO if it works great, now try it with your original account if it fails, there could be an isssue more than just the phone, but then again it can work on the net. If that works and Evo still not working....backup and Wipe the phone.

Even more so, swap it....

Just a few more ideas to try. Heck, Im using Win7 on a Macbook...so anything can work and work well. :) lol

Good luck to those who have issues with mail, hope you find the answers here and or somewhere else.

Go IPhone??me never. Had it already....twice...not again...it acts as a cool itouch though...

opps did i say that......

Remember: If it is made by man, it can be broken by man...or woman just to be politically correct :)

Reactions: sikclown
Upvote 0
I have to chime in on this one.... I use Gmail for business and it has no bearing on the issue that was originally posted. The first rule to follow, if things are mission critical, is not to update to the latest/greatest anything until the kinks are worked out. In this case, I'd say the Evo is pretty new, but more directly I wouldn't have updated to 2.2 from 2.1 for a few weeks.

Secondly, I can guarantee you that if my business depended on it, I would be checking my email from Outlook and/or the web and not relying on a phone. And if something was fishy, like too few emails or none at all, then I would at least use the browser and log into m.gmail.com to see what the web client shows.

Also, I think the issue is not with the Evo but, rather, with the 2.2 update. For the next few days/week I'd suggest making a bookmark or even default the home page of your browser to m.gmail.com and checking things that way until you're convinced that things with 2.2 are ironed out.

It's really not the Evo's fault, but remember we are all somewhat on the cutting edge of technology and we have to deal with some curve balls here and there. Just have a plan B always ready because with new technology, plan A doesn't always work out perfectly.

BTW, I had to use a colleague's Blackberry the other day and I couldn't believe that I actually had one a few years ago. In fact, I can't believe anyone would use one now--those things are so behind the Evo. Maybe it does email well, but that's about it. Navigating that thing is ridiculous. And Swype is so much better than that keyboard. Enough of my sideshow rant.... :)

Just my .02 cents.

Upvote 0
FWIW, I actually still have gmail active so I get the benefit of its push. Sometimes I get the HTC 'envelope' icon in the taskbar, other times I get the gmail 'M'. I always access email through the HTC app and it clears the gmail notification as well. My Hero ( 1.5 through 2.1) never did this so I actually had to disable notifications in order to avoid dup notification and PITA clearing.

In any case since opening htc's client clears the gmail notification its like having the best of both worlds. I guess since I generally check my e-mail as soon I get notifed via either app I dont have any trouble with duplicate notifications

Upvote 0
FWIW, I actually still have gmail active so I get the benefit of its push. Sometimes I get the HTC 'envelope' icon in the taskbar, other times I get the gmail 'M'. I always access email through the HTC app and it clears the gmail notification as well. My Hero ( 1.5 through 2.1) never did this so I actually had to disable notifications in order to avoid dup notification and PITA clearing.

In any case since opening htc's client clears the gmail notification its like having the best of both worlds. I guess since I generally check my e-mail as soon I get notifed via either app I dont have any trouble with duplicate notifications

That's a very cool idea - better one notification too many than to chance missing a thing - plus - when GMail is working as intended, this gives a leg up as you point out.

Upvote 0
I'm pleased to see some members at least can offer help rather than ridicule to frustrated users.

A free tip for the rest of you: read the Forum Rules and the Zero Tolerance statement again before jumping down somebody's throat because their level of experience doesn't match your own. The simple truth is that Android Forums is becoming the first port of call for people seeking solutions, and everyone should do their utmost to help instead of making them feel inferior and giving the site a bad name. :mad:

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I'm pleased to see some members at least can offer help rather than ridicule to frustrated users.

A free tip for the rest of you: read the Forum Rules and the Zero Tolerance statement again before jumping down somebody's throat because their level of experience doesn't match your own. The simple truth is that Android Forums is becoming the first port of call for people seeking solutions, and everyone should do their utmost to help instead of making them feel inferior and giving the site a bad name. :mad:

So knowing the troll history of this forum it's ok for there to be no accountability and for people who've never posted to just come in here and degrade the phone without asking any real questions?

How much sense does that make?

Asking questions is one thing, drawing useless conclusions based on an error is completely different. How about some accountability in how people post their inquiries as well. Then all of this could easily be avoided. But you could post this same thread and change the phone to whatever section you post it in and you'll get the same reaction across this entire board.

Reactions: broken1i
Upvote 0
it's ok for there to be no accountability and for people who've never posted to just come in here and degrade the phone without asking any real questions?

How much sense does that make?

The "accountability" rests with the forum staff, not with the members. It's they who decide whether a topic is valid. There is no minimum posting requirement in the Rules, but there is plenty of guidance on what is and isn't acceptable behaviour.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones