1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General This Phone ROCKS!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Dubbin1, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 Android Expert
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    N/W Ohio
    Just getting a little tired of all the this phone is garbage and this phone sucks threads so I thought I would share why I think the phone rocks.

The screen and video is amazing
    I have been getting 14hrs + from the battery (stock and extended) with no "conditioning" or "calibrating".
    4g speeds impress the hell out of me (coming from a 3g phone).
    Voice to text works great.
    The keyboard is androids best yet.
    The camera and video takes great pictures and video for a camera phone.
    Zero shutter lag = awesome.
    Yes the sound is a little low but I don't feel its that bad and I'm half deaf.
    The signal is a bit low where I sit in my house but all phones have a low signal when sitting here. Also I have not once dropped a call.
    ICS in general just impresses the snot out of me.
    Even though I am on an unlimited plan I think the data usage stats and limits are pretty cool.
    I thought the size of the phone would be an issue but it felt right to me the first time I picked it up.
    The weight is perfect.
    I don't think it feels cheap at all like some people say.
    I love how fast the phone starts.
    Pretty much the only thing I didn't like about the phone was the google search bar but that was an easy problem to overcome.

As the OP I am asking to PLEASE keep this thread on the positive side without bashing the phone to bits.

Now lets hear from other lovers of the Galaxy Nexus!!!

Advertisement

2. Premium1

None

Dec 3, 2011
    No issues here either. Volume is a little low, but most likely will improve through an update just like droid x. Dbm is a little high, also will prob get fixed in ota. No dropped calls or anything though.

3. syntrix

syntrix Android Expert
    None

Nov 6, 2009
    engineer
    The South
    I installed that volume+ thing and OMFG my alarm clock this morning, I jumped out of bed so fast, lol.

This phone is epic in it's current state and will only get better over time!

jkc120, kcs7272, foo and 2 others like this.
  4. BubbaNexus

BubbaNexus Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 13, 2011
    agreed! i just have this buzzing noise on calls, but i'm going to swap it out at the store tomorrow, no biggie :)

no dropped calls or data.

Dubbin1 likes this.
  5. SolidOrange

SolidOrange Android Expert
    None

Sep 10, 2010
    Clemson, SC
    seriously, thanks for this. i am in total agreement, the GNex is a GREAT phone. it's not perfect, but no device is. i can't believe it has been out less than a week and some people are already giving up on it. we are seeing very quick updates (4.0.3 is already in the AOSP and should be pushed in the next 2 weeks, and 4.1.0 is already in testing), so give it a chance!

working in the service industry i have learned one very important fact about most people: they LOVE to speak out about their problems, but will very seldom vocalize their appreciation when things are right. glad to see some love for the GNex. :D

6. agtdroog

agtdroog Newbie
    None

Apr 26, 2011
    Gotta agree.. this phone is pretty awsome, comming from an Evo 4g. Its just about what i expected, i found that putting my own custom ringtones(zedge and ringtone maker) and notifications plus the volume+ solved that problem. I LOVE this phone so far, cant wait to see what future updates will bring for ICS

Dubbin1 likes this.
  7. Premium1

None

Dec 3, 2011
    Agree. Very few voice when something works, yet will be the first to conplain about every little thing.

Dubbin1 and SolidOrange like this.
  8. artman540

artman540 Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 20, 2010
    Restaurant manager
    Kissimmee, Florida
    Coming from a Fascinate I can honestly say, I would trade my wife for this phone. It's leaps and bounds ahead of Verizon's attempt at a Galaxy S phone.

The cameras software alone completely owns the Fascinate. 5MP? Who cares I'm not making posters. The most I've done with the pictures I took with it were upload to Facebook or text to friends.

The battery issue everyones complaining about is BS as well my Nexus last a good 2 hours longer than the Fascinate on stock battery and today I took it off the charger at 3AM and put it back on at 5PM with 12% life with the extended battery.

Yeah the wireless signal could be better but that just keeps me from spending extra time in the bathroom at work to browse Phandroid.

Only thing I dislike about it is the extended battery cover which, if you tap, feels hollow and cheap.

Reborn58 and Dubbin1 like this.
  9. Reborn58

Reborn58 Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 28, 2011
    Illinois
    Have to agree with everything said in this thread.

I am so happy with this phone it's actually unreal how few complaints I have with any part of it. Signal strength is only average in my house - but everywhere else is great. And the fact that there is a "fix" in the works for the signal strength only makes me happier.

I can't wait for this phone to get even better than it already is with the updates coming straight from Google!!

Dubbin1 likes this.
  10. Evilgrin

Evilgrin Newbie
    None

Dec 12, 2011
    LawnGuyLand
    I was a happy owner of a BB storm for the last 3 years waiting and waiting for a phone that would knock my socks off, And I have found it in the galaxy Nexus.
    1. The Screen OMG! it's frakkin amazing (yes some have had issues honestly it happens get over it replace it and move on I had 4 lcd TV's that had one issue or another it happens)
    2. ICS is simply fluid and I love all the customizations. (looked at froyo I think it was honestly wasn't overly impressed nice but no wow factor.)
    3. WI-Fi (yes some of you have had it for the last 2 years well good for you it's new to me so it makes my list :p)
    4. So many options I don't know where to start with the customizing (one reason I will never go with the fruit along with the non removable battery)
    5. I have large hands and this phone is a joy to hold with the case (icipio) it fits perfectly and is extremely light weight (again BBStorm for reference)
    6. camera is simply amazing yes it could have been 8Mp but honestly it's a phone the camera is not the star of the show. I want High Quality photos I have a DSLR for that but as a point and shoot I have on me at all times more then acceptable the panorama mode is just icing on the cake.
    7. Call quality - I sit in my Man Cave ( Read Basement )for hours tinkering with stuff, surfing the web, playing video games. Every phone I've owned in the last 10+ years has either not gotten a signal down here or i've had to sit the phone on the window sill and talk on my Bluetooth headset to maintain signal the GNex holds signal down here with no noticeable problems Simply Blew me away even though it showed no bars calls are still clear.
    8. Speaker on this one is so-so at best but added volume+ and "Houston we are go for launch."
    9. Keyboard is the best I've ever used on a touch device responsive with out being overly sensitive.

Overall I'm very happy with this phone, I purchased it with no delusions of it being 100% perfect out the box it's cutting edge I expect there to be several hiccups along the way it's the price you pay for being on the cutting edge, you want 100% out the box then go pick up last years device with all the bugs worked out but don't complain that the tech is outdated.

11. EdenObscured

EdenObscured Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 11, 2011
    IT Guy
    Chicagoland
    I agree with what the OP has said.

I have basically moved on and looked past the few cons of the phone, and I am currently concentrating on how to make this phone even more badass (finding great software/apps)

TMack, foo and Dubbin1 like this.
  12. zerski78

zerski78 Newbie
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    I can't find any real flaws with this phone. Never have I purchased a new phone and felt so good about the $300 I just threw down on it.

Dubbin1 likes this.
  13. rhietpas

rhietpas Member
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Grad Student
    Chicago, IL
    "I literally love this phone more than my family!"
    "You mean figuratively"
    "No, I don't."
    "oh"

*awkward*

Reborn58 and Dubbin1 like this.
  14. pool_shark

pool_shark Android Expert

Aug 21, 2010
    Male
    Infrastructure Engineer
    Ohio
    I don't love any piece of electronic equipment.
    I like the phone, I have no data problems, I don't concern myself with battery life, etc.

However, I'm not blinded by the fact that it's a new toy or the pre-hype.

The crazy background problem when watching dark video (look for the threads), and the horrible voice dialing are problems.

No phone is perfect, so to say it has no problems is just as bad as saying it's garbage.

Premium1 likes this.
  15. foo

foo Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 20, 2008
    IT
    Chicago, IL
    Great os on great phone. Few minor issues i have hopes will get addressed in future updates

Dubbin1 likes this.
  16. mblouir

mblouir Newbie
    None

Dec 8, 2011
    Design Engineer
    Greenville, SC
    Agreed 100% with everything you said, OP. Well put.

Dubbin1 likes this.
  17. odock

odock Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    I had the rezound for a month and i was very hesitant to get rid of it for the nexus because i personnaly loved the way the rezound felt in my hand it was awesome. I also really liked beats audio and those headphones....

I was plesently surprised to find a nice set of headphones with the nexus that fit my ears even better then the beats phones. With the audio enhancer on the nexus i can make it sound WAY better then beats ever made the rezound sound. I get half an erection every time i look at this nexus screen! im not having any of the low light blocky blue problems that have been complained about while watching a movie. The camera is slightly lower quality then the rezound imo but i still love it the speed in which it fires off shots as long as your steady they come out pretty damn good and i have 3 kids that are running around like chickens with their heads cut off so it catches them before they move again pretty well!

Dubbin1 likes this.
  18. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 Android Expert
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    N/W Ohio

That reminds me, I forgot to put it in my first post that the sound through my Zune headphones is every bit as good as my ipod.

Reborn58 likes this.
  19. Reborn58

Reborn58 Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 28, 2011
    Illinois
    I must agree the headphones that came with the phone are actually pretty decent. And they have the microphone attached and the controls for mute / ff / rewind, etc. Noise isolation isn't the greatest but they do the job for what they are.

Dubbin1 likes this.
  20. orlando bull

orlando bull Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 29, 2011
    Orlando
    Lovin' my nex as well. Coming over from the fruit, I had a little bit of concern. Fortunately, Apple pushed iOS 5 to the 3gs and made it very very laggy and slow, so, this is a breath of fresh air to me. Everything is working great. Signal strength is weak, but, I haven't dropped calls or had issues with data. Battery is about as I expected. It has to be charged at night, but, I'm making it through the day with moderate usage. If I am going to use it heavily, I'd have to charge, but, that's normal for a smart phone to me.

Overall, I love this thing and am very happy with my purchase.

Dubbin1 likes this.
  21. Jay3

Jay3 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 6, 2010
    Totally rocks. I waited 2 years and it's a real breath of fresh air.

Dubbin1 likes this.
  22. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    I understand your sense of objectivity, but I'm going to disagree with the sentiment.

As I've often said - there is no perfect phone. However, as I've said often in the pre-release thread, there is only the perfect phone for you at a given point in time.

If others are finding the perfect phone for them, there's no reason to suggest it's not.

This thread doesn't suggest anyone is blind - to the contrary, it suggests that a good many people looking very hard are finding this phone everything they expected and more.

As the OP says - this thread is for equal time to the other less positive threads. Those always seem to have a post saying the phone is great - ok, this thread has given back with a counter opinion.

But - I think there's not a thing wrong with feeling the thrill of a piece of gear that _really_ works and just having that it's-still-new excitement and vibe for many days running.

Let's stick to that. :) ;)

Slayer01, jkc120 and rivera02 like this.
  23. bjanow

bjanow Android Expert
    None

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Great thread Dubbin. We really needed this, thanks.

Dubbin1 likes this.
  24. artman540

artman540 Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 20, 2010
    Restaurant manager
    Kissimmee, Florida
    /agree My phone history involves LG Chocolate, BB Storm and Samsung Fascinate. Galaxy Nexus IS amazing.

EarlyMon likes this.
  25. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Android Expert
    None

Jan 9, 2010
    Restaurant Owner and Chef
    Denver
    I love my Galaxy Nexus .. Let me give you a timeline of my previous Android phones

Droid (2weeks) > Eris > Incredible >Fascinate (1 month AWFUL PHONE) > Transform (work phone 5days AWFUL) > EVO (still have work line) > Thunderbolt > Rezound (1month) > Galaxy Nexus

As you can see I have had awful luck with Samsung and have loved all my HTC phones and let me tell you this phone just ROCKS!!!

The Camera is the 2nd best I've had (Rezound 1st) , I think the phone quality is on par with all my phones (Eris oddly was the best IMO) my 4G speeds are amazing . I tether my laptop for Sunday Ticket with my phone as I don't have home wifi and with my Rezound it was pretty awful as I had to keep it in low or medium quality and it still had to buffer and was choppy this Sunday with the Nexus it worked great had it in high quality all day with only a couple hiccups

Also the Screen is a thing of beauty I love AMOLED loved my Incredible Screen , loved the Fascinate screen (only good thing) and this is even better. Movies in HD are amazing, after installing Volume + the volume issues are all fixed . The look is what I love the most about it ... Battery life is better then the Rezound it's an awesome phone... I'm so excited

Sandroidfan and Dubbin1 like this.
Tags: