1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root This phone seems totally dead in development dept.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Sportster, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Sportster

Sportster Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 28, 2009
    Male
    Steelworker
    Indiana, US
    I expected to see more enthusiasm regarding this phone in the development department. Hoped to see more activity in the root section. Maybe it's because this phone is locked down. I don't know. But it's really got me worried and considering going with the Nexus when it comes out. Just seems really dead in the root/rom/mods section. I keep coming here hoping to see some activity and there's very very little of anything. :(

Advertisement

2. Chi-TownTx

Chi-TownTx Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 19, 2011
    It's mainly due to vzw locking the bootloader on the phone. This makes it extremely difficult for devs to try and rom anything with it. Eventually i am sure someone will come along and crack it (no easy task) but until then all you can do for now is to root the device and customize it yourself.

Granted even without roms yet the advantages of rooting are still there. Better battery life due to debloating, free wifi tether, adblock etc. It's just going to take some time before we see any major rom on this device. Plus some are holding off till the release of ICS i would imagine since that's only a few months away.

3. jroc

jroc Android Expert
    None

Apr 10, 2010
    Hang out in XDA. So far seems everything is happening over there. Maybe all the dev folks that hang here on Verizon will deal with the G nex. It would be alot easier to develop for.

I remember when the Fascinate came out some devs jumped ship from the Droid X1. Even with the bootloader issue, the Droid X1, X2, Droid 2, 3 and Bionic had/have alot of stuff going on. Maybe with the RAZR coming so soon most ppl are working with Bionics right now.

All I can say is be patient, or lurk around to see what the ROM makers are going with. To me it would be a no brainer to get and put all my attention in the G Nex if I was on Verizon and a ROM maker.

4. gallandof

gallandof Android Expert
    None

honestly i'm not expecting much development wise, especially since the nexus is right around the corner and that a dev's dream phone (for now :p) and since the razr and nexus are competitors alot of root users are holding out too. Rom development is really the only reason i keep thinking of returning my razr for a nexus when its out, I dont want to get stuck with a dead device ROM wise, as i can only stand a stock rom for a month if that.

5. hahaha what

hahaha what Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 12, 2010
    there's no sbf for the razr yet..

Trooper and jroc like this.
  6. dco717

dco717 Member
    None

Jan 20, 2011
    Thank you...plus i heard there is a rom in the process but no sbf so it wouldn't be logical if you soft brick

7. rushmore

rushmore Extreme Android User
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    An early and fully functional ICS release aside, I am happy with the Razr just with root. Froze the bloat, got rid of the user installed area stock apps and use Launcher Pro. First Android I have gone this long with that has not required a reboot due to perma lag accumulating (so far, at least).

Unlike previous devices, I am not seeing a need to apply a custom kernel or ROM.

jroc likes this.
  8. executor485

executor485 Well-Known Member
    None

May 16, 2011
    Behind joo
    Coupled with the few enhancements that Moto has made on this device (Motocast, smart actions, etc), the stock ROM is actually my favorite. (over previous ROMs and phones) CM7/9 would be nice, they have a couple of extra features, but so far, this ROM has been rock solid. I havent experienced a lot of issues that I do with other ROMs, and the stock email client has been phenomenal for me too.

I'm even ok with the color scheme. I know others dont like it, so if Android could make some way to customize the themes in stock form, there would be almost no need to custom ROM this phone.

jroc likes this.
  9. DonDraper

DonDraper Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 5, 2010
    Windows System Admin
    South
    I don't think you are looking in the right place. This forum is not the hotbed of dev activity. While most of the juicy stuff might eventually get reported here, you aren't going to see stuff here first.

Someone already has Clockwork recovery installed and working, and they also have ICS booting on the Razr. So as soon as we have a method of recovery (sbf file) you will start seeing basic ROMS at least. And if it's actually true that the bootloader will be unlocked down the road, then you will see some great ROMS.

Trooper likes this.
  10. pm1066

pm1066 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 14, 2010
    And as often bears repeating, there were some pretty nice ROMS on the DX, and the devs NEVER cracked that one.

jroc likes this.
  11. lewi3069

lewi3069 Member
    None

Feb 16, 2010
    What needs to be done to crack bootloader? Is it encrypted?

12. Szadzik

Szadzik Extreme Android User
    None

Feb 15, 2010
    Male
    FAS Admin
    It is encrypted and no one will crack it. It has been tried multiple times by multiple devs.

For those who have a non-VZW Razr Motorola will provide an unlock solution when ICS is released.