1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

THIS was fun: message "Dropbox Needs to Be Updated" then everything crashes (on Viper 4G)!!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by scudder, Dec 22, 2012.

1. scudder

scudder Android Expert

Had a FUN occurrence earlier today...

Grabbed my phone from, I think, a reboot as things were a little laggy to see a message that said something like "Dropbox needs to be updated to continue." Interesting because I don't use dropbox on the phone and, although I know it is installed, I thought the message was odd with typical Google Play updates.

So I clicked OK and tried to continue with an update. I then got the option to choose my launcher (I have Nova Launcher as DEFAULT so that was weird). Chose Nova...force quit and wouldn't start. Chose Launcher Pro...THAT force quits. Then a popup that Swype Beta force quits. Uh oh...

So I power down and reboot. SAME THING. So I boot into recovery and restore a recent backup. Seem to be all up and running....

Just wondering if anyone has had this happen before?? Not sure if it is ROM related or otherwise...but restored and I'm good to go.

...and a reminder to all: keep a recent backup handy...you never know!!!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

That is very strange. If you dont use DropBox I'd just go ahead and uninstall it.

On a side note: If you're running into laggyness(or any other strange quirks) a dalvik cache & cache wipe is usually more effective than a normal reboot. It may have stopped the force closes as well.

3. scudder

scudder Android Expert

I've been cache/dalvik wiping. Not sure why I chose a reboot or perhaps a hot reboot...I think perhaps I was checking the boot up time between the two as well as clearing out some lagginess. Thanks for the cache clear suggestion for the future.

And I have NO CLUE why what happened happened...still curious....:thinking::thinking:

4. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

There was a Nova update, whenever it updates, you have to re-select it as your default browser.

Likely you had a stack of updates queued. I haven't had it on this phone, but on others if you get too many going at once, I've seen that cause crashes.

I imagine that several came along for the ride when you ok'd Dropbox and that started the dominoes.

Next time, if there is one, just clear and check your pending market updates.

scudder and Granite1 like this.
  5. scudder

scudder Android Expert

Sounds possible...I guess...but I've never simply turned on my phone screen to see an app updating, let alone the message that sorta said something like "dropbox must update for you to continue"...?? That's what happened...I turned on my screen to find the mess. And then evvvvverything force-quit.

Anyway, seem to be up and running...thankful for my recent backup!!

6. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

I've seen it. I stopped letting my launcher auto update to avoid surprises.

7. scudder

scudder Android Expert

Interesting...and I thought I saw that setting/option but shut it off. I'll check...is it through the auto update in the Play store or a setting in the app itself?? I don't recall where I might have seen it...

8. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Play Store setting.

scudder likes this.
  9. 3vodroid

3vodroid Android Expert

I had this exact thing happen to me on meanrom!

scudder likes this.

HTC EVO 4G LTE Forum

The HTC EVO 4G LTE release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Plus processor, and 2000mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews