1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root those in the know about custom stock

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by thehulk20, Mar 24, 2011.

1. thehulk20

thehulk20 Member
    None

Dec 4, 2010
    N'awlins
    because of issues beyond my control, i have never been able to truly test battery life issues as it pertains to the use of custom roms, overclocking/unvolting, and custom stock.

i am well aware that some chose to root and customize the stock rom as opposed to flashing a custom rom. i am also aware that different phones, different ideas about usage, and different set-ups, etc., have a lot to do about battery stats.

has anyone who has been in the root/flashing game for a while know if custom stock has better battery life than custom rom's?

Advertisement

2. thehulk20

thehulk20 Member
    None

Dec 4, 2010
    N'awlins
    i do want to add that i have read several posts regarding the rooting of the X, keeping the stock rom, and using titanium to freeze the bloat. i have seen that it does wonders for the battery. i just never asked if they used a custom rom to compare.

3. Jbart15

Jbart15 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 27, 2009
    Maryland
    that term "custom stock" is pretty funny. As far as I know it's either AOSP or Blur and then a mix of both.

Overclocking definitely uses more battery with higher voltages i believe.

The best AOSP Rom for battery life I have used is Liberty 1.5 but Apex 1.4 is not far behind at all.

I would say that AOSP would be better than Blur in terms of battery life if you dont have all the bloatware from MOTO.

Really though I am only saying all this because of past experiences with MY OWN phone, someone might have totally different results than me but i would recommend going for an AOSP Rom and see how it is then move onto overclocking.

4. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja
    None

Feb 10, 2010
    Male
    Virginia
    as far as i know there are some roms that help battery life, but every phone acts differently with a custom rom, you have apex which is great on my battery
    liberty which doesnt help with battery but its not that bad, (luckily though there is a patch for it to help level out the battery usage) and there are others, comparing the 2 side by side, i would ask JrzDroid i believe he/or she :p has had more than 1 droid at a time, so he can def do a comparison if he/she still has both of them

5. bbuck002

bbuck002 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Research Tech
    Buffalo
    ^^^i love the he/she bit...

many of the custom roms that are out there are built around speed of the os and battery life since those tend to be the two biggest complaints of moto's blur overlay. I'm also using Apex 1.4.1 and love it. I've also changed my launcher to GoLauncherEX and I think that its great. I use a live wallpaper, have a bunch of widgets, and I'm constantly using pandora, so I usually have to charge up in the early afternoon. I also work in a lab that is in the middle of the building and get no signal, so if I forget to switch on wifi my battery gets destroyed. That's all there to try to give you an idea of what my device is like on day in and day out heavy usage. When I was just in Costa Rica, I had the phone in airplane mode the whole time and over 10 days only had to stick it on the charger twice (the second time it was only at 50% after like four days). That really showed me that the battery life of the X is probably tied more than anything to the 3g/1x signal strength whereever you are. Since my phone didn't have to look for a signal at all while I was there, the battery lasted forever. Plus, no widgets were working in the background either. Basically, the more data you pull, the shorter your battery life will be. I'm also convinced that removing the bloat from the phone has no impact on battery life(I've seen all the arguments, please don't anyone start a flame war cause I know how much everyone hates the Moto/VZW bloat, including me). The reason I say it has no impact is this, if you never open the bloatware, then they just sit there as icons. I've run my phone with and without the bloat, and I've never had a noticable difference in battery without it. Again, if you don't select it, it's not running and thus not pulling down data.

Hope this helps. Sorry it's kind of a rambling post. I'm still not fully awake. ;)
    Welcome to the community! And keep asking questions.

6. VoidedSaint

None

Feb 10, 2010
    Male
    Virginia
    i only did it because im unsure if Jrz is a girl or guy, of course the avatar is a girl, but you never know if thats his gf/fiancee/wife or if its her :p

7. bbuck002

None

Apr 8, 2010
    Research Tech
    Buffalo
    oh I understand...I never thought you were Goku. hahahaha

8. bouchigo

bouchigo Android Expert
    None

Aug 10, 2010
    Production Engineer Mngr.
    Stockton, CA
    I heard it from a little birdie that someone was talking about me :p;):D

9. VoidedSaint

None

Feb 10, 2010
    Male
    Virginia
    i am the prince of all saiyans i am VEGETA!!! not KAKAROT!!! you shall pay for your insulence!

10. bbuck002

None

Apr 8, 2010
    Research Tech
    Buffalo
    hahaha, actually now that you say it I can see the Blue uniform. sorry, small pic and I haven't seen DBZ for a long time. :)

11. VoidedSaint

None

Feb 10, 2010
    Male
    Virginia
    lol the hair style should give it away, besides we all know vegeta is the coolest!

and i have every single episode :p i downloaded them all and watched them all when i was overseas haha