• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Those of you getting the HTC EVO...

androidtp

Android Enthusiast
Dec 15, 2009
Houston, Texas
Not sure if you guys already know this but this might be a deal breaker for some.

"Note: The plan for this device is a little different than normal Android phones via Sprint as this is a super phone. You will get an additional $10.00 charge per month by using this device, as well $29.99 if you would like to use the hotspot features via Sprint's network."

Thoughts?

there maybe no way around the $10, but it's worth it if you're in an area with 4g and could use the speed boost. once you can root the evo, you can do wifi hotspot without paying the $30/mo. I don't need the extra pep so i'm keeping my hero (rooted). As a 3g hotspot, it works flawlessly.

when i read that $10 charge, i thought the same thing about my hero:D

Upvote 0
haha. i just got my hero less than a month ago, and though i could get the evo, i think i wont. my reasoning is that because i'm apart of the sprint premier program i can just wait 11 months to get the real next best thing in the market, or the evo/evo equivalent for cheap =).

I'm with you. I don't know what the next best phone will be, but I think the hero is almost too big, so I def don't want the evo. Love the specs, though and can't wait to see what the next gen will be after the evo.....

Upvote 0
The extra $10 a month is to remove the 5GB data cap that Sprint has on your account. This way you never have to worry about your data running out per month. It's unlimited.

That is not true. There is no limit on your account. According to the site, data is unlimited. I use mine as a tether and have surpassed 5GB a month several times with no issues.

They are doing this because other carriers do it and they can make an extra 10 bucks off of it. Our Sprint rep told us that they were told to tell their customers that the 10 dollars a month is for the privilege to use 4G speeds and the new phone.

They are not adding a fee to their 4G capable mobile air cards so that just further shows what the rep is saying to be true.

Upvote 0
The extra $10 a month is to remove the 5GB data cap that Sprint has on your account. This way you never have to worry about your data running out per month. It's unlimited.

I know someone already pointed this out but this is not a true statement fully. On our Hero phones, if you on the Unlimited or Unlimited data, you currently do not have a cap. I use well over my 5gigs each month (between 6-8gigs for each of my phones). No charges are ever added and no where does it say that I am limited to 5gb.

What Sprint is doing is trying to find a way to lie about this fee. They don't want to have a class action suit filed against them for a charge for a service that only a small percentage is able to use. By saying it this way, they can legally avoid a class action suit.

I will be sticking with my Hero (rooted). Evo 4g has better speed and better video quality but in the Central Florida area, we have no 4g and we are not slated for it anytime soon. I am not paying $10 a month for the same speeds and data I get on my current phone and plan.

The problem is, there are still a lot of people willing to pay it. They are pissed but they still will pay it. Sprint will keep it going as long as people are paying it so instead people need to stop griping and just not buy into it. If there are no sales, Sprint will then listen and change the fee.

Upvote 0
Not sure if you guys already know this but this might be a deal breaker for some.

"Note: The plan for this device is a little different than normal Android phones via Sprint as this is a super phone. You will get an additional $10.00 charge per month by using this device, as well $29.99 if you would like to use the hotspot features via Sprint's network."

Thoughts?

My thoughts exactly. I don't need 4G. I don't need more than I pay now. And the Hero does more than I will ever use. So for now anyway, I will stick with my little Hero and the great ROM works of the devs --- oh, and little is beautiful. ;) When the market rage is over and prices come back to "acceptable" then we will take another look at what is happening with 4G and its phones.....:D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones