• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thoughts after two months

Marquzz

Lurker
Apr 21, 2012
My wife recently bought a Galaxy Tab 7.7 and now after some hours of experiance she has some questions:

1. When you turn off the sound it doesn't turn off everything, sounds on webpages still plays.

2. The screen unlock pattern is in the same place so it's easy to see it because of the grease the finger is leaving behind.

3. When you want to edit text in the web browser, for instance in a forum like this, and you put the marker where you want to start edit, the marker jumps 1 or more letters efter about one second. It's not a miss click, because you can see that the marker is in the correct place when you remove your finger, and then after about one seconde it jumps to another place. Extremely annoying.

4. Honeycomb does not utilise the screen size, it seems like it's made for a smaller phone with lesser resolution. Reminders and other notifications is easily missed. Text is also extremly small sometimes and even though you can read it, it's very hard to put the marker in the right spot, if you want to mark and copy a text for instance.

5. Reminders from the calendar is to discreet, it should be something that you have to turn off manually so you dont miss it.

6. Can you create a shortcut to a file on the startscreen/desktop?

7. The clock doesn't show when you make a call so you can't check the time

8. The screen locks itself quickly when you make a call, in like 10 s, even though you have set it on 5 mins. Very annoying when you want to check things on the pad during a call.

9. Adding a new phone number to a contact is very unlogical, and it takes alot of steps. Why not just have, "add phone number to contact" when you have marked the number??

10. You can't set the timer on an certain amount of hours and/or min, just a time?

11. I can't write

Why not just return it since you're not happy.

Well, I love my 7.7 despite Honeycomb. Not impressed at all by Honeycomb, used it for a few months now, feels very beta and unpolished. However, the hardware is astounding and HC will just be a bad memory when ICS finally arrives.

Yes, that's my feeling exactly. What makes me frustrated is that I think of what it could've been, easily a laptop replacement. Love the hardware and the formfactor and the fact that you can make calls with it.

As for #5 install "calender event reminder" it will make it ring for as long as you want and as many times as you want until dismissed. I use it as an alarm clock now. Each calendar can have its own settings also.

Thank you! Will try that.

Upvote 0
This is still getting ICS at some point isn't it? I remember reading ages ago that it was, then I seem to recall reading a schedule from Samsung that made no mention of the 7.7. Please tell me I'm mistaken.

Samsung really are gash for updates, still waiting for ICS on my International unlocked Note, despite multiple reports of it being available it still hasn't surfaced in the UK, grrr.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones