• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thoughts on Bionic vs. Upcoming Devices?

BenDroid

Jan 8, 2010
So I just got the Bionic the other day and loving it so far, but I guess I can't help but wonder if I have made the right decision especially with some upcoming devices. Based off what you guys have heard or read, is there another device you guys are kind of curious about? For me, it would have to be the Nexus Prime or whatever it is going to be called. Not sure why really except for the new version of Android supposedly going to released with it.

I cant think like that all I know is that this is the phone for me, even on 3G it is faster and smoother than anything else I have owned or seen, yes tomorrow may bring better but i dont live in tomorrow I live in today, I cant wait to try the 4G i know i will be even happier then. I came from a BlackBerry and the speed the size of the screen the feel the build quality is all superb for me.

Upvote 0
the reality is that a better phone is always going to be around the corner, so you're either going to: 1) drive yourself crazy second guessing your purchase or 2) be flat out broke buying the latest phone at retail cost. the Bionic is a beast of a phone and i would say that it's future proofed for at least a year. you can always wait for the next best thing, but eventually you're going to catch yourself saying that every time. i know that i'm happy with my Bionic today though. :D

Upvote 0
I'm on my 3rd Bionic...other 2 previous units had a few various issues. However it looks like 3rd times a charm because I really like this phone! Yes the Camera could be better, but other then that, its pretty bananas! Of course they'll always be a sick phone on the Horizon, so playing the waiting game is never an option for me. If something is out now, and its hot, I'm getting it, just the way I am! Thank god I do well enough in life to support my crazy tech addiction ...lol!

And yes, I will 100% be grabbing the Prime! The specs sound amazing! But for right now, this minute....I'm all about the Bionic!

Upvote 0
I've heard so much good about the SG2 that I'm ticked it didn't come to Verizon. That being said,if the Prime is anything near that, I'll be glad I waited for it! Even though it sucks to wait so long....but after all,I'll have this sucker for two years or better depending on how it holds up so I'm definately going to wait for what I want.

Reactions: xmr405o
Upvote 0
I've heard so much good about the SG2 that I'm ticked it didn't come to Verizon. That being said,if the Prime is anything near that, I'll be glad I waited for it! Even though it sucks to wait so long....but after all,I'll have this sucker for two years or better depending on how it holds up so I'm definately going to wait for what I want.

Gotta agree about the sg2. I wished it came out on verizon but im still happy with the bionic. I can see myself happy with this phone until the next upgrade or my sons upgrade...lol. :p

Upvote 0

There's some pretty good reasoning! I would assume VZW had no desire to push a Flag Ship type phone that didn't have 4G LTE on board. And I guess they're feeling is to go with the next generation ...meaning Ice Cream Sandwich, and some newer hardware and specs. Either way its hopefully gonna to be an Ass Kick device.

Upvote 0
i figured i would go ahead and get the bionic now. hopefully verizon will let me upgrade before my 20 month period is here. i would have signed a 1 yr contract like i usually do. but verizon did away with them earlier this year. 1 yr contracts usually pay $100 more upfront than the 2 yr contract price.

i think google/motorolas first monster cell phone will be next summer. so im gonna hopefully upgrade the end of next year.

Upvote 0
4.3" is truly my limit on a cell phone. I'll get a 7" - 8" tab one day. I think the DB, especially once rooted, will hold it's own for quite some time. Add to that that those of us who made the plunge get to enjoy it for months before future super phones make an appearance. Also developement for it will be that much further along :cool:

Upvote 0
We don't really know for sure that the Prime is even going to be LTE, do we? That said, if the Prime is "all that and more" when it comes out, I'll probably sell my Bionic and buy the Prime full retail (because that's just the way I roll). However, enjoying LTE right now so much that I'm not going to return it and wait.

Upvote 0
LTE isn't available in my area just yet. It's about 20 miles away presently,though so it'll be here prob in the next six months (from what I've been told). So it's not as urgent for that yet. The larger screen size I think will be a plus. More real estate in the same size frame will enhance viewing, making movies that much more enjoyable to watch and see. So that doesn't bother me but the exact opposite. Can't wait for it!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the responses everyone. I think I am going to stick with the Bionic. I mean, I just now upgraded from the OG Droid (Thanks to an awesome development community). I really enjoyed that phone and this just seems like the proper upgrade for me. My wife has the Samsung Fascinate and I have friends with the Nexus S and as much as I love the screen, everything else about that phone is horrible to me. (GPS, plastic feel, battery life) My only hope is that this locked up bootloader on the Bionic doesn't get in our way too much for future updates.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the responses everyone. I think I am going to stick with the Bionic. I mean, I just now upgraded from the OG Droid (Thanks to an awesome development community). I really enjoyed that phone and this just seems like the proper upgrade for me. My wife has the Samsung Fascinate and I have friends with the Nexus S and as much as I love the screen, everything else about that phone is horrible to me. (GPS, plastic feel, battery life) My only hope is that this locked up bootloader on the Bionic doesn't get in our way too much for future updates.

I think you are making a good choice. If the prime was going to be an HTC or MOTO phone I would have waited, but I honestly would not wait around for a Samsung phone. I have never been impressed with them. Poor radio quality, GPS issues, cheap plastic, and slow updates have always been an issue with their phones. Granted, if it is a Nexus phone it should not have the issue with the updates, but I think the other issues may crop up. And if for some reason the phone is released and you really want it, the Bionic should still be new enough that you should be able to get a decent amount for it on eBay or craigslist.

Upvote 0
I'm curious about the Droid HD/Droid RAZR. Only cuz I'm partial to the reception I get with Motorola phones.

I still have the Bionic in my plans, maybe the Prime too. Just need the funds..so I will be accepting donations....

But if by the time I can actually get a phone and the Prime and Droid HD is in the immediate future...I might as well wait it out.

Upvote 0
I cant think like that all I know is that this is the phone for me, even on 3G it is faster and smoother than anything else I have owned or seen, yes tomorrow may bring better but i dont live in tomorrow I live in today, I cant wait to try the 4G i know i will be even happier then. I came from a BlackBerry and the speed the size of the screen the feel the build quality is all superb for me.

4.3" is big enough, I don't think I could handle a 4.5" phone...

Also, this phone is amazing!!! I love it to death and like the above poster said, if you always live for tomorrow you will drive yourself insane...

Upvote 0
4.3" is big enough, I don't think I could handle a 4.5" phone...

Also, this phone is amazing!!! I love it to death and like the above poster said, if you always live for tomorrow you will drive yourself insane...

Have to agree here. I really couldn't wait any longer to upgrade my OG. The Bionic is a beast and even if I don't use my wife's upgrade for the Prime. I'll still be happy with the Bionic for at least another year.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones