• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Three fast questions

Hi everybody,
I'm the owner of a HDH from Saturday :)
I've (for now) only three questions if you can help me out:
1 - any chance to set up a proxy for wi-fi connections?
2 - can it have different wi-fi profiles which it switches automatically between?
3 - how can I check if there is any update for applications that I installed or for the phone? I checked on the HTC website and I noticed that a software update is needed.
Thanks!

I am also looking for an answer to question 1.
have done a bit of research and the answer so far is no.
found a program on market the other day that opens the proxy setting page within the phone, developer stated the proxy setting are in the phone but there is no access thro normal operation of the andriod software but the program he supplied will give you access to it. the program opened the proxy page but it was blank.

Upvote 0
Please don't take me as an authority on this subject as I've never needed to use these settings. I did a google search for you though and found this site:

Issue 1273 - android - IP Proxy Settings for Wifi Network - Project Hosting on Google Code

looks like it's discussing proxy settings in Android. Apparently Opera and Firefox beta can find proxy settings automatically, however other than that it doesn't appear possible on an unrooted DHD.

I've had a cursory look at the wi-fi settings and can't find anything proxy related, only Ip / Dns etc under advanced -push menu when in wi-fi settings.

Apparently if you root your phone you can use a program called proxynator though?

good luck, maybe they'll update it in 2.3?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones