• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Three issues with HTC desire Z

vpawan

Lurker
Feb 15, 2011
I have three issues with this phone. If someone could help me with them i would be really grateful

1. Some times the touch does not respond at all no matter what you do? Suppose I want to answer a call when I try drag the slider it would not respond. Likewise with other applications.
2. when you make a call the screen goes blank and attempts to call the person. At times you accidentally call the wrong person from the call log and you cannot end the call as the screen is blank
3. the phone will shutdown for apparently no reason and you may have to remove the battery and put it back, then power it back on. This has happened to me thrice is the past one and half months

are these common issues or should I go to the service center for software re installation?

Are you running any task killer?

#2 sounds like your hand is somehow blocking the proximity sensor (it prevents you from inadvertently tap on something on the screen while on a call and the phone is by your ear).

#1 and 3 seems like real problems. What was the last thing you did or install?

Upvote 0
1. Some times the touch does not respond at all no matter what you do? Suppose I want to answer a call when I try drag the slider it would not respond. Likewise with other applications.

I have noticed that on my phone, the touch screen is sometimes not very responsive if I only touch the screen without another part of my body touching the chasis of the phone. Normally, I hold the phone with one hand and then touch the screen with the other. When using the phone in this manner, I do not have any issues with the responsiveness of the touch screen. If the phone is on the car mount, I find that if I only touch the screen, the phone may not be very responsive when I try to unlock the phone. I have to touch the chasis with my thumb and then touch the screen with another finger before it is responsive.

Try putting the phone on the table and use the touch screen by dragging the home pages. Then try the same thing while holding onto the phone. If you are still having issues while holding onto the phone, it could be a problem with the touch screen.

2. when you make a call the screen goes blank and attempts to call the person. At times you accidentally call the wrong person from the call log and you cannot end the call as the screen is blank

The proximity sensor blanks out the screen when you place it near your face when on a call. This way, you do not accidentally start pressing keys. It is possible that your finger (or other debris) is covering up the proximity sensor. The sensor is located on the upper left of the phone just above the screen beside the speaker. If the sensor is not covered and this still happens, it is possible the sensor is defective.

3. the phone will shutdown for apparently no reason and you may have to remove the battery and put it back, then power it back on. This has happened to me thrice is the past one and half months

This happened to me twice back in December. It's been OK since. I've had this phone for over 3 months now. Not often enough to be an issue for me so far.

Upvote 0
I have noticed that on my phone, the touch screen is sometimes not very responsive if I only touch the screen without another part of my body touching the chasis of the phone. Normally, I hold the phone with one hand and then touch the screen with the other. When using the phone in this manner, I do not have any issues with the responsiveness of the touch screen. If the phone is on the car mount, I find that if I only touch the screen, the phone may not be very responsive when I try to unlock the phone. I have to touch the chasis with my thumb and then touch the screen with another finger before it is responsive.

Try putting the phone on the table and use the touch screen by dragging the home pages. Then try the same thing while holding onto the phone. If you are still having issues while holding onto the phone, it could be a problem with the touch screen.

The proximity sensor blanks out the screen when you place it near your face when on a call. This way, you do not accidentally start pressing keys. It is possible that your finger (or other debris) is covering up the proximity sensor. The sensor is located on the upper left of the phone just above the screen beside the speaker. If the sensor is not covered and this still happens, it is possible the sensor is defective.

This happened to me twice back in December. It's been OK since. I've had this phone for over 3 months now. Not often enough to be an issue for me so far.

Thanks for the response stuntman. what you are suggesting seems to be true. I will like to observe this.

Upvote 0
Are you running any task killer?

#2 sounds like your hand is somehow blocking the proximity sensor (it prevents you from inadvertently tap on something on the screen while on a call and the phone is by your ear).

#1 and 3 seems like real problems. What was the last thing you did or install?

I haven't installed anything yet. I removed the battery and cleaned the contacts as suggested in one of the posts. I will have to wait to see if it will die on me again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones