1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Three software buttons gone?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by quickaudi, Dec 28, 2011.

1. quickaudi

quickaudi Android Expert

Yup, that is one bad thing about software buttons. If the software is buggy, and the buttons go away, you cant do jack with this phone.

Swapped over to messaging, lost my buttons. Hit the power button to see if they would come back -negative.

Restart fixed it, but i had already restarted this morning. Not cool.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jbdan

jbdan Extreme Android User

I have yet to have this happen and have not read anything about it happening to anyone....yet. So, what buggy software are you referring to specifically?

GrandMasterB likes this.
  3. truelove79

truelove79 Android Enthusiast

I restart 1 or 2 times a day. That's the name of the game with an Android phone. I still love the phone.

4. quickaudi

quickaudi Android Expert

Android, duh

5. esmith818

esmith818 Android Enthusiast

This happened to me for the first (and only) time yesterday. I was streaming Slacker via bluetooth with screen off. I woke phone to check email by pulling down notification bar from home screen and when I returned to the home screen (after swiping notification away) the buttons were gone.

It took a reboot to get the buttons back and when I reapplied the same steps to see if I could recreate the problem, the buttons worked fine. So in the end it seemed to be a random fluke. Not sure when the randomness will resurface.

6. vandyman

vandyman Android Expert

jbdan was asking you what app was running when this happened.

I see you were using messaging when this happened. Are you using the stock messaging app?

PS,,, Replying with smart comments is wrong if you need help.

GrandMasterB likes this.
  7. quickaudi

quickaudi Android Expert

Stock messaging app, hence why i said messaging and not handcent or gosms.

See what i did there? I gave you all the info you needed. Amazing. It is like i have been around and owned an Android phone before...

Besides, like the other bug I reported, i doubt this one will recreate easily...

8. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 Android Expert

If you're needing to restart that often then there is a problem with your phone or one of the apps you installed. I wouldn't blame that on the OS. I have never had to restart an android device because of an OS problem.

9. syntrix

syntrix Android Expert

x2, why would you have to restart? :thinking::thinking:

10. quickaudi

quickaudi Android Expert

hmmm, accidentally recreated it in the Messaging app again. The buttons did come back after 20 seconds or so, though...

11. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Why be so snarky and unpleasant to someone trying to help?

It's not like everyone who posts a thread in here provides all of the relevant information every time. I suspect - and this is only a guess, mind you - that people occasionally refer to any app they use for SMS as a "messaging app."

Really makes people want to be helpful when they ask for clarification and get insulted over it... :rolleyes:. I'm sorry that nobody could see the "I AM A GENIUS" tattoo on your forehead, maybe you should post it as your avatar.

12. hitter

hitter Newbie

Had this happen to me once. I locked the screen and unlocked to the camera. Got my soft keys back. Then I rebooted anyway cause I knew something wasn't right :).

quickaudi likes this.
  13. quickaudi

quickaudi Android Expert

Interesting. Just had the 3 buttons disappear while listening to Pandora. I did what you did: locked the phone, unlocked to camera. They came back.

14. BubbaNexus

BubbaNexus Android Enthusiast

considering the vast majority of apps on the market aren't optimized for ICS, i would look at one of those as the culprit, rather than blame the phone ;)

15. quickaudi

quickaudi Android Expert

2 of the 3 times it was while using the stock sms messaging app. What say ye now?

16. teddyearp

teddyearp Android Expert

I'm going to say what the others have said. Please try not to take your frustration out on those who are trying to help and stop being so snarky in your replies. You will get a more harmonious outcome.

good luck

17. quickaudi

quickaudi Android Expert

Wow, sensitive. Sorry to have stepped on your toes, but there have been a couple people post in this thread with the same issue. Whether my posting style makes you feel warm and fuzzy, I am obviously not the only one.

I have yet to receive any constructive input besides the user that swapped to the camera to temporarily fix the issue.

18. BubbaNexus

BubbaNexus Android Enthusiast

i'd say ye understands little about OS compatibility ;)

a buggy app will cause issues elsewhere in the phone.

19. quickaudi

quickaudi Android Expert

I had thought of an app that doesnt play well with ICS. Besides Pandora, I had gmail, messaging, and a few other stock google apps open, so nothing was obvious.

20. esmith818

esmith818 Android Enthusiast

Regardless of the bickering on this thread, I just wanted to thank whomever suggested locking and unlocking to camera. I have had this happen to me twice now (once while using the stock Market app and once using the stock browser) and both times the "trick" worked. Maybe my problem is that I should stop using stock apps. :p

21. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique

What are these 3 buttons you talk about? I have 4...:p:)

Anyway, I think locking/unlocking the screen is the way to go. Haven't had the issue yet. Crossing fingers.

22. quickaudi

quickaudi Android Expert

That was my thought the first two times... LOL!

23. quickaudi

quickaudi Android Expert

Yeah yeah...

And, locking/unlocking doesnt get the buttons back.

24. dhworph

dhworph Android Enthusiast

I just had this happen... so weird... I was messing with the gallery and camera apps at the time. Luckily the power button still worked so I could do a reboot!

LTE, stock 4.0.2, rooted

locking and unlocking the screen didn't do it... didn't think to try swiping left for the camera... will do so if it ever happens again...

25. quickaudi

quickaudi Android Expert

swiping left for the camera will get it back. 2 for 2 for me.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews