• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thrive and 3 G

I have a Sprint 3G USB dongle that would not function with mine. I could not locate an android driver that was available for it. My solution was to buy a Cradlepoint CTR350 (??) wifi router (it is quite small) that will run off the 3G dongle (surprisingly it worked immediately with no tweaking) and then connect the Thrive to the secure wifi network created by the Cradlepoint router. There is a list of dongle/aircards on the Cradlepoint website that will work with this router and it then will link up to 16 devices using the aircard/dongle cellular connection. This workaround has worked very well for me.

The CTR350 cost me $61 online and, of course, means you need a second power plug for the wifi router, but it works very well other than that and hauling around the tiny wifi router in my briefcase hasn't really been that bad. I suppose there is a possibility that the Ice Cream Sandwich rollout in October could also allow direct USB connection with cellular aircards/dongles or the manufacturers could start rolling out more android drivers for these USB devices. Then you would not need the router in the middle. Anyway, this was my workaround to use my aircard with my Thrive and I'm happy with it for the moment. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones