1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Thrive vs the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by artbytes, Aug 8, 2011.

1. artbytes

artbytes Android Enthusiast

Apr 7, 2011
    I'm trying to do research on my tablet decision. The Samsung model has the advantage of a smaller, lighter body. However, the Thrive lets you replace the battery and it has a lot of ports. My question is, do you all really use the ports a lot? What are the good uses for the USB port and others that you can't live without?

How long is the Thrive's battery life? If it's like the iPad2, we may not need the extra battery.

Is there anything else I should know about bugs and great points about the tablets?

Thanks for your help.

Advertisement

2. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    Besides a display that is not quite as good as the Sammy, the Thrive has:

1. Micro sd slot
    2. Mini USB
    3. USB Host
    4. Non proprietary connectors (Sammy even needs proprietary for power)

If you do not mind not having the things noted above and thin is what you want, I would personally go for the iPad 2, since IMO, a big point of Android is not being constrained. I would rather have an iPad 2 if the device I am using is the same design. The Samsung IMO misses the point of having Android in the first place.

3. ifubad

ifubad Newbie
    None

Jul 20, 2011
    For what I use it for, mainly web browsing, reading PDF files, storing pics, vids and for my kid to play games with. So far, I don't have the need for the HDMI (too lazy to hook it up to a TV).

Have a 32GB SDHC card, tried plugging it via USB to my desktop, hoping that I can easily manage deleting and adding files. But, it seems that my XP SP2 cannot see any files or directories that have spaces, which you can see within the tablet's file manager just fine. So, to transfer any files from my desktop, I have to turn off the tablet, pop the card out, stick it into my desktop, after transferring, plug the card back into the tablet, then boot it back up. According to Toshiba, this is an Android compatibility issue.

For me, currently, I have no use for the USB or HDMI ports.

Bugs, there were the not coming out of sleep mode and intermittent auto rebooting. The Aug 3 Android update seemed to have fixed it for most Thrive owners. It seemed to have fixed mine, until the last two days, it went to sleep overnight and would not come out of standby. I'm exchanging mine for a new unit.

I like the fact that the Thrive, even though it's wifi only, has a built in GPS.

I do like the iPad 2, there are a lot more apps. BUT, I hate being forced to using iTunes, I HATED iTunes with my iPod.

4. cooldude1

cooldude1 Newbie
    None

May 23, 2011
    Student
    for me, on the thrive, its been fantastic.
    ive been able to get a full days worth out of it (and this is going on wifi always on as well as brightness all the way up and lots of games and movies).
    i have not had a chance to see how long i can stretch the battery (wifi off, brightness low ect.) but ill keep ya posted.
    hope this helps :)