• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Throttling! Coming soon to a VM (USA) phone near you

I could not believe when I read it !!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: For those who are interested here the link...; Virgin Mobile to begin throttling data-hungry customers who use more than 2.5GB of data per month | DroidMatters.com

You should be glad. They were going to start throttling in October... Anyways who's going to go over 2.5 GB unless that is your only source of internet and you are downloading a whole bunch of files a month. Plus I don't even get decent speeds to begin with so I don't even care... :/

your data speeds will be lowered to 256Kbps or below for the rest of the month.
I wish I even got that fast of speeds during a non-throttled month :/

Reactions: sharpe351
Upvote 0
You should be glad. They were going to start throttling in October... Anyways who's going to go over 2.5 GB unless that is your only source of internet and you are downloading a whole bunch of files a month. Plus I don't even get decent speeds to begin with so I don't even care... :/

I wish I even got that fast of speeds during a non-throttled month :/
I use pandora radio at work almost 8 hrs everyday. No wifi at work .

Upvote 0
I'm not sure how much data use per month..... Question? Would affect when using tethering?.....iam so cheap !don't have internet at home ....so my triumph is my only internet connection...

Yes it will affect tethering. I believe that is one of the purposes. But it won't do anything unless you reach that threshold for throttling.

Reactions: joeycmb
Upvote 0
I'm not sure how much data use per month..... Question? Would affect when using tethering?.....iam so cheap !don't have internet at home ....so my triumph is my only internet connection...

That depends on what you are doing... Watching HD videos and downloading large files is a sure fire way to get to your 2.5 GB limit fast, but even then it shouldn't be too bad at 256 kbps granted, you can't watch videos without buffering a lot, and downloads will take a while but that's about it... If your just browsing websites and viewing emails it doesn't matter too much...

Reactions: joeycmb
Upvote 0
I've use tethering to updated my laptop !! .....Soorry virgin mobile customers!!!!!....Well sounds like time to get internet provider at home, thanks guys.

Yea... Also most internet is going to be a hell of a lot fast than VM's network and also more steady...

Edit: also since your somewhere in PA I don't even care :p you don't affect me... Even though my speeds suck! :/ O well that's what high speed internet is for! :D

Upvote 0
If you received a text message with the link (http://vm.tmce.biz/wap4?app=virginmobile&c=vir&NEXT=P23) then you used over 2.5GB in December, otherwise, you shouldn't have any issues.

To be honest, it isn't that bad. $25 a month for just data on AT&T only gives you 2GB, and now you can't even get the $25 plan anymore. It's just a sign of the times. Besides, I'd rather be throttled than limited.

Upvote 0
I think this is really aimed at people who tether to avoid paying for internet at home (or wherever). I know it may affect other users who use a lot of data and don't do that, and that is a bummer. At least it is still unlimited, and just throttled (even the throttling isn't so bad, my 3g is that speed half the time anyway :eek:). I use WiFi for most of my data usage and I am sure I never even come close to 1gig/month.

Reactions: zaphodbblx
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones