• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Throttling! Coming soon to a VM (USA) phone near you

Is there an android phone service that actually has unlimited data usage without a throttle? I seriously want to switch now. I feel like I've been baited and switched. So, now it is my turn to play that game.

I switched to T-Mobile's $30 a month plan. It's still only 5Gb before its throttled, but only 100 minutes talk. My first month is almost up and I've used a little over 200 meg. Do you actually use over 2.5Gb a month?

Upvote 0
To some people, it's a matter of principle. Personally, I couldn't give a fetid pair of dingos kidneys less about throttling, as long as I can get on. I'm from a generation where the phone was a thing on the wall in your kitchen, and you could only go as far as the cord. Having a phone in my pocket is amazing. Playing games and listening to music on said device is amazing. Having the internet in the palm of my hand is almost magical. At it's slowest, it's faster than my old 28.8 was. I guess I'm just old enough to be patient. That, and I'm on WiFi 98.43% of the time. ;)

Upvote 0
I brought this VM Optimus V, three months ago, specifically for the unlimited data usage. Now, I find that it is no longer unlimited as advertised, but severely throttled after 2.5GB.
Virgin was going to start throttling in October and pushed the date back right before it was to start.

I believe they announced in June or July they would start throttling around the time they announced the change in plan pricing.

Reactions: melim and Petrah
Upvote 0
To some people, it's a matter of principle. Personally, I couldn't give a fetid pair of dingos kidneys less about throttling, as long as I can get on. I'm from a generation where the phone was a thing on the wall in your kitchen, and you could only go as far as the cord. Having a phone in my pocket is amazing. Playing games and listening to music on said device is amazing. Having the internet in the palm of my hand is almost magical. At it's slowest, it's faster than my old 28.8 was. I guess I'm just old enough to be patient. That, and I'm on WiFi 98.43% of the time. ;)

Sometimes, well actually most of the time, you say the most amazing things. This forum is definitely a better place with you here. :)

Upvote 0

If this weren't too long it'd be my sig right now, bro. Maybe the "fetid pair of dingos kidneys..." part, though, with your permission, of course. :D

Upvote 0
Since when has data become the primary factor of choosing a damn carrier?

I think this is a great move. It should get rid of the top % of the people who are abusing this great offer and negativity affecting the rest of VM's data service.

The phone is a tool first, an entertainment medium second; and so is 3G. If you're using your phone and 3G as it should be used; map navigation, occasional browsing and music/video streaming, etc. You should be fine.

I already stated this before. If you're using VM's 3G speeds to stream HD movies all the time or for your daily internet needs through tethering...I feel really bad for you. I suggest you try 4G instead with a different carrier.

I was checking Verizon's prices the other day and guess what they were offering in our area. The cheapest you could get WITH data came to $70/mo 450 minutes, no text plan with a data cap of 3.0G. that's right, not even throttling, just a cap...still think the alternative is better? And despite that, they still have the nerve to sell the Google Nexus phone for $300. Amazing phone but for those prices it should be free.

The whole point of VM to me is freedom from contracts and from stealthy fees at amazing prices and great service. Not to tend to my data needs.

I personally would love to see all these money hungry carriers crumble as all voice services become purely VoIP, but realistically I think we are still far from realizing a true wireless satellite infrastructure for every single US resident's unlimited internet (spoiled) needs, even at 4G speeds. If you really need that now, move to Japan or something, I hear they're way ahead of us in that category.

/rant

Although I have chimed in already, I agree. Except for your first sentence. Data is my main use with a phone.

After the throttling message I got from VM, I installed 3G Watchdog to see what I use. My reset date is the 6th of April and as of today, Im sitting at 62.3% of data used. I stream Pandora for many hours a day and I feared that would use up a serious chunk of data. But not as much as I expected.

For me, I think the lack of video streaming really saves some bandwidth. Im grandfathered in at $25/month so I find it to be a killer deal. If you live on your phone, it might not be the best carrier/plan. For me, its perfect.

Upvote 0
I could not believe when I read it !!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: For those who are interested here the link...; Virgin Mobile to begin throttling data-hungry customers who use more than 2.5GB of data per month | DroidMatters.com

That's what happens when people start using the smartphone for tethering and then dowload huge amounts of music, videos and youtube. I use mine for tethering but try to avoid all that heavy use. They might even block video and music altogether with the click of a button.

Upvote 0

Right On Brotherswing!

I too remember with a phone was only something connected to a cord! :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones