• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Through KIES or Odin?

KayeNg

Lurker
Jan 10, 2012
Hello. Suppose I have a brand new Samsung Galaxy Ace running stock ROM Android 2.3.4 and want to upgrade to 2.3.5 or later version.

1. Is it safer to use KIES or Odin?

2. OTA means over the air, correct?

3. Is using KIES considered an "OTA update"?

4. Would I lose all my stuff like SMS, contacts, and downloaded apps by using Odin to upgrade from 2.3.4 to 2.3.5?

5. If there IS a 2.3.5 or later for Galaxy Ace, is it OFFICIAL? Is it stable?

6. In this link, http://www.sammobile.com/firmware/?page=3&t=1&o=1&m=GT-S5830&r=2#regiona
It's for Singapore (Singtel), can I use that even if I don't live in Singapore?

4. Would I lose all my stuff like SMS, contacts, and downloaded apps by using Odin to upgrade from 2.3.4 to 2.3.5?
I don't know about Odin but with Kies you don't loose anything all apps and settings are kept but I always do a factory reset erasing everything before updating, the new update sometimes can be very slow if all previous settings are kept on the phone.
use Odin only if you are going to install some unofficial rom, for official Samsung updates either use Kies or the phone Wifi update, I have just updated to 2.3.6 using the phone Wifi which I think is much better than using the bloated Kies software.
If there IS a 2.3.5 or later for Galaxy Ace, is it OFFICIAL? Is it stable?
well if its from Samsung its official, the version release depends on your country and carrier, the 2.3.6 came out this week for my country unblocked phones and I am very happy with it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones