• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

.thumbnail horror

D

Deleted User

Hi All,

1.Can you please let me know that if I delete a picture from the Gallery using the delete function on the phone , does it delete the corresponding thumbnail of that picture from the .thumbnail folder too?

2.If I delete the picture after mounting the phone on Windows , will the phone delete the corresponding thumbnail after I unmount the phone and start using the phone again. Thanks.

I am asking this because my .thumbnail folder had a hell lotta pics in it even though the actual images were not there in my gallery.Also I do not have an Android device as of now to test it.

The thumbnails should be deleted, but if you use Astro you can force the thumbnails to refresh whenever you want:

Astro > Menu > More > Preferences > Cache > Clear Thumbnail Cache.

After doing this, when you open the Gallery, Android will rescan your SD and create new thumbnails for the images it finds.

You mean they will be deleted automatically in both the above cases?

Please let me know.Thanks.

Upvote 0
Clearing the Thumbnail cache using Astro should remove the thumbnail data from the .thumbnail folder, I think. Next time you open the Gallery, the phone will create a new thumbnail data file for the pictures that are still on the phone (i.e. the thumbnails for deleted Gallery images will be gone).

You second question about using Windows - I assume you mean deleting Gallery images from the SD card using Windows? If that's what you mean, then the phone will behave in the same was as if you deleted the image using your phone. The thumbnail data may still be present in the .thumbnails folder, and you can clear it using Astro.

Upvote 0
Hey all thanks for the replies.

So this means that if I delete the picture in the gallery using the phone itself(without using astro, but by using the delete option in the gallery), the corresponding thumbnail from the .thumbnail folder is deleted automatically.

Isnt this what you all meant?

Upvote 0
Yes, delete a picture from Gallery and the thumbnail should go too.

There's a difference between a thumbnail and the thumbnail data. Deleting the original image (using the phone or Windows) will delete the thumbnail preview image that appears in the gallery, but may not completely remove the data file from the .thumbnail folder. That what I use Astro for, to remove thumbnail data files.

Upvote 0
No, they're not deleted.

I have 35 images in Gallery but a shed load more thumbnails (when viewing the thumbnail folder in Astro)

You can delete the lot and the phone will recreate the thumbs for the images still in Gallery though.

Also, the thumbs themselves can't be viewed anyway, not that I could see anyway.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones