• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root .thumbnails folder taken up a lot of phone storage

Mancow60

May 22, 2012
I have realized that the .thumbnails folder in internal sdcard can take up a lot of storage. Mine was as big as 2 GB. I would delete the folder but it would come back bigger after I take a picture with camera.

I have found a fix to stop the folder to continue creating itself after deleting. You need to go into your file explorer and make sure you have Show Thumbnails option on in your settings. Then go to your internal sdcard>DCIM and the .thumbnails folder will be located there. Delete the folder then press the "New" button, should be a plus sign, then press "New file" and name the file ".thumbnails". The folder will not recreate it self again because it thinks it's already there. Gallery will not create thumbnails for pictures anymore but just download Quickpic from the Play Store and it will take care of that: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alensw.PicFolder

Now enjoy your freed up storage space!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones