1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

thumbprint scanner

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Cincy73, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Cincy73

Cincy73 Newbie

Wondering if the Bionic will have the thumbprint scanner like the Atrix

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. 8-Bit-Soldier

8-Bit-Soldier Android Enthusiast

sadly it will not

3. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Android Expert

Too bad, I'd love to show that off. While I clearly see it's benefit, it seems rather gimicky to me.

4. jradicle11

jradicle11 That Guy

How can you say for sure?

5. Zaggs

Zaggs Well-Known Member

I'd be more then happy NOT to have a finger print scanner. Hell its annoying enough now to swipe down on my Incredible to access my phone. But then to make sure a certain finger swipes an exact spot in a certain way? Also think your first swipe wont work every time and you can see where its probably more trouble then its worth.

6. I love it on my laptop makes it easier to not need a password and also keeps other people off of my computer and if it was on my phone would keep them off my phone to and couldnt go through it when I wasnt around.

7. jradicle11

jradicle11 That Guy

Its a physical thumb print scanner on the top backside of the device that automatically unlocks when the owners thumb print is recognized - on the Atrix, at least.

8. krouget

krouget Android Enthusiast

I haven't used one, but there always has to be a balance between security and ease of use. If it's more tedious than it's worth to access my own device, then I can't say I'd really miss the option.

I can always remotely lock and wipe my phone, anyway, or go as far as password protecting and setting app-level access rights, should it get that critical.

It would be neat to show off, though.

9. doctajay

doctajay Well-Known Member

Every thumb print scanner I've used on a phone has been way too inconsistent and therefore much too annoying.

10. Cincy73

Cincy73 Newbie

with the dual processors, do you think it will be able to have a workable thumbprint app that works and is not fake?

11. Vehtemas

Vehtemas Android Expert

Eh, I am fine with having to input my pattern to unlock it.

Although I must admit it would be cool as hell to show off ;)

Also would be nice to add someone else's fingerprint to access the phone - like a GF or something in case I was incapacitated.

12. CT53

CT53 Well-Known Member

My friend has the Atrix and I have seen it used. First of all it is a fingerprint scanner (saying thumbprint scanner might confuse someone because it is not on the screen where you would think) and it is really quite interesting and it seems like an easier way to unlock rather thank swiping across the screen. The fingerprint scanner is at the top/middle slanting backwards and is also the button used to unlock it to turn the screen on after timing out/power button. I think it is faster than the other way but that is just my opinion.

13. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Android Expert

It seems like it would be a pretty fast and convenient way of unlocking it, as long as it doesn't take a sec or two from lag. It's def a nifty idea.

14. CT53

CT53 Well-Known Member

It processes the fingerprint pretty fast from what I have seen.

15. ranova

ranova Android Enthusiast

I have the Atrix and the fingerprint scanner is more than just a gimmick; it works well and useful when you incorporate your corporate email, which requires a passcode. You can just use your fingerprint instead.

16. Vehtemas

Vehtemas Android Expert

I must admit I would love this feature ;)

17. lahss2

lahss2 Lurker

so this can be done.. has many practical uses.. is unique to each individual and can be marketed really well to promote whatever it wants to promote that sells the individual, i'm looking in your direction Google (cough), and it's not being done yet? we're just totally getting jipped on the potential of our technology and being charged ridiculous for roaming fees and ipad2s. sad.

18. bluenik25

bluenik25 Well-Known Member

I believe it will be a May launch. With the next iphone coming out the first week of June, Verizon would be stupid to wait until after. If they want to sell the Bionic to more than just the well informed people on the android forums they need to release early.

I also have a feeling that they will want to release as early as possible due to battery issues with their precious Thunderbolt. The Thunderbolt will be plagued with horrible reviews because of battery life and will very quickly loose sales.

IMHO

19. coreymcl

coreymcl Well-Known Member

I also have the Atrix and am lurking around as I my perfect device would be a Atrix on Verizon with LTE support. As for the the finger printer scanner it works great for me. For those who don't want to use it just use another method of locking your device or not at all it's your choice it doesn't force you to use it.

20. dmodert66

dmodert66 Android Expert

That would be very cool to have, but it defenitly was not on the Bionic I played with at CES, nor was it mentioned as a possible feature. They did, however, hint that the laptop doc may be available for the Bionic (but would not confirm).

21. Dave__C

Dave__C Newbie

Would love to know what phones you have used with fingeprint scanners.

22. Dave__C

Dave__C Newbie

Good to hear that you like the fingerprint sensor on Atrix. I think more people should try it instead of making assumptions based either on never having used it or on having used a sensor on a laptop.

It's truly more convenient to use the sensor on Atrix than ANY other method of unlock including no security (screen slider).

And just wait until new apps start showing up that make use of it!

23. Dave__C

Dave__C Newbie

I have tested the unlock time for Atrix. I performed each type of unlock 10 times and averaged the results.

From pressing the power button to bringing up the home screen:

No security (slider)---------- 2.1s
    Pattern --------------------- 3.6s
    4-digit PIN ------------------ 4.2s (used 1-2-3-4)
    8-char password ------------ 6.5s (used "password")

Fingerprint ------------------ 2.1s

Note that I ignored the 1 miss-typed PIN and 1 miss-types password. If I had counted them, the times would have been much higher.

bigbabys likes this.
  24. tehsusenoh

tehsusenoh Android Expert

I think the fingerprint scanner is annoying, especially when I'm trying to test the Atrix in store! Which rep's finger.........

But I do think it's a gimmick, but I will say that I use my laptop's heavily.

25. messenger13

messenger13 Android Expert

My Dell E6510 has a fingerprint scanner. It was cool for all of about 3 seconds ... then it got OLD. No thanks to the thumbprint scanner. If the Bionic has one, please let me disable it!

Motorola Droid Bionic Forum

The Motorola Droid Bionic release date was September 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4430 processor, and 1735mAh battery.

September 2011
Release Date
Reviews