• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Thunderbolt/4g data pricing?

BMF136

May 14, 2010
I really want to upgrade from my Eris to the Thunderbolt but was reluctant to pre order the TB without knowing how much the 4g data will cost. If it is much more expensive I'll consider skipping the TB and getting the Fascinate or Incredible.

I can't find any info about VZW 4g smartphone pricing, does anyone know?

Yeah. I'm currently with at&t. Unlimited LTE for 29.99 is going to get me to switch when this phone comes out. I'm liking it more than the Atrix at this point... but it's a tough decision.

Yea I'm don't think I'm going to ever switch from VZW, they have always treated me well (with my family I have so many lines that we had to get 2 accounts they make a lot of money off me :p ).

Plus almost eveyone I know has VZW so minutes aren't an issue, those that don't have VZW just get added to my "friends and family" list. So unless something horible happens I'm pretty good with VZW.

Wouldn't mind the Atrix, it looks like a killer phone, but it isn't worth swithing for me.

Upvote 0
The launch will be accompanied by a 4G data plan, which will cost $50 per month for 5 GB of data

Again source please? The 4G modems they currently sell are 29.99 per month unlimited. My friend that works in Marketing for Verizon confirms that the price will not change. The guy at my VZW store has said 29.99 unlimited as well.

Upvote 0
If we all get the 30 dollar plan when it firsts comes out we will have it as long as we never cancel are service. After you have it Verizon cant raise the price on you at a later time.

You would have to use the same phone forever.;) Once your two years are up and you enter a new contract with a new phone, you would be a slave to whatever new pricing they have. If you keep the same phone for years, you will be ok. But I doubt anyone here would be able to do that. With the ADD I see so many have with their phones nowadays, Im surprised many stay with the same device over a year.

Another thing to mention is that Verizon now throttles their data. So anyone who gets this phone better not be an uber heavy data user.

Upvote 0
Until you enter a new contract period, in which case most of us would be sucked in after a year (it would appear).

That is absolutely not true. I still use my Alltel plan and have signed new contracts with VZ a couple of times now to get new phones. In fact, when I once had an issue with my incredible having to be replaced the VZ store even temporarilly put me on a VZ plan with my loaner phone and when my replacement Incredible came in they switched me back.

Upvote 0
That is absolutely not true. I still use my Alltel plan and have signed new contracts with VZ a couple of times now to get new phones. In fact, when I once had an issue with my incredible having to be replaced the VZ store even temporarilly put me on a VZ plan with my loaner phone and when my replacement Incredible came in they switched me back.

So you are saying that you are able to upgrade phones (which require you to sign a new contract) and keep the exact same plan that you have in place? It was my understanding that when you upgrade plans you are FORCED to choose from the plans that are available and are in no way able to keep your current plan. IE you will be forced to take a data plan that is not unlimited since it will not be offered in their then current plans. If I am wrong then that is pretty cool, but I am sure I ran into this before when VZW rearranged their plan structure (I have been with them for 10 years).

Upvote 0

I agree. I'm on a promotional price plan from years ago that's no longer going on. It follows my account as long as it's not closed. So if we all get on the $30, we should be grandfathered in.

(Whatever you do, though, CALL THEM if you need to change your phone number. That could change everything. :mad:)

Upvote 0
So you are saying that you are able to upgrade phones (which require you to sign a new contract) and keep the exact same plan that you have in place? It was my understanding that when you upgrade plans you are FORCED to choose from the plans that are available and are in no way able to keep your current plan. IE you will be forced to take a data plan that is not unlimited since it will not be offered in their then current plans. If I am wrong then that is pretty cool, but I am sure I ran into this before when VZW rearranged their plan structure (I have been with them for 10 years).

That is correct; you're renewing your current contract on your existing plan not establishing a new one. There are situations which will prevent this from being possible (for instance, if you need to add something to your plan, you increase or decrease minutes, text or data limits, etc... these are all modifications which may not be available for your old/existing plan.) Alternately, even if they are available, it will depend on how the VZ customer service rep enters the info. They may switch you to a new plan without notifying you because it has what you are requesting. But if you are just renewing you are able to keep your grandfathered plan. The guys at my local VZW store always gawk at my plan when I go in (Almost as much as they gawked at my StarTAC I activated for a Halloween party) and tell me how lucky I am to have such a cheap rate.

Upvote 0
I thought we established there was no extra cost for 4g? It's not official. But im 100% certain of this.

I have been hearing no extra cost for 4G for a while now. In fact when I called into Verizon to activate my daughters phone on Saturday I was joking with the rep asking if he was sick of the "when is the TB launching" questions. He said that the 4G monthly price would be the same as 3G if I was thinking about getting the TB.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones