• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

thunderbolt and second line

chrisjm00

Feb 9, 2010
Baltimore, MD
So right now I have the Droid X. I really like the phone but the damn thing always changing to 1x is getting very old. With Motorola not seeming to have interest in fixing that issue, and the locked bootloader, I feel the need more and more to jump the moto ship. However, I have no interest in paying 750 for the TB. My question is, once it comes out do you think it would be worth it to get a second line? I can get another line and not worry about paying anything other than the extra 30 a month for the data/text plan. Does anyone think its a bad idea? Or should I go for it? Eventually my brother in the next few months will be getting on my plan anyway.

So right now I have the Droid X. I really like the phone but the damn thing always changing to 1x is getting very old. With Motorola not seeming to have interest in fixing that issue, and the locked bootloader, I feel the need more and more to jump the moto ship. However, I have no interest in paying 750 for the TB. My question is, once it comes out do you think it would be worth it to get a second line? I can get another line and not worry about paying anything other than the extra 30 a month for the data/text plan. Does anyone think its a bad idea? Or should I go for it? Eventually my brother in the next few months will be getting on my plan anyway.

You can sell the DX online, disconnect the data plan to that phone and just pay an extra $10 a month for the line with no phone attached to it.

Upvote 0
$750? Are they mad? Dualcore is right around the corner. I mean I have paid $750 before as that's the price for new device and only reason for that is due to legally getting it months before its released to the public, I guess they really wanna lock in new customers via contract as many will flip when Opt 2x hits and I really like the TB as I been following the Scropion for few months now I'm very impressed with the hardware which I have but missing the 4.3" which I miss since some kid stole my modified HD2.

Upvote 0
Here's what I'm gonna do:
I talked to a VZW customer service rep for about 20 minutes this morning to make sure this would work.
I'm going to add a line and buy a thunderbolt on 2 yr contract for $250.
I just purchased an old Verizon phone from ebay for $4.99 + $4.95 shipping.
I'll sell my Incredible on ebay for $200 - $250.
I'll activate the old piece of junk phone that I just bought from ebay on the line where my incredible used to be and drop the data plan.
So my new thunderbolt will cost me almost nothing except $10 per month for 14 months.
Then in 14 months, when my incredible's original 2 yr contract expires, I'll drop that line altogether.
Voila! new Thunderbolt for $140 paid in 14 easy installments of $10 per month.

Reactions: ttran97 and EgoDogg
Upvote 0
Here's what I'm gonna do:
I talked to a VZW customer service rep for about 20 minutes this morning to make sure this would work.
I'm going to add a line and buy a thunderbolt on 2 yr contract for $250.
I just purchased an old Verizon phone from ebay for $4.99 + $4.95 shipping.
I'll sell my Incredible on ebay for $200 - $250.
I'll activate the old piece of junk phone that I just bought from ebay on the line where my incredible used to be and drop the data plan.
So my new thunderbolt will cost me almost nothing except $10 per month for 14 months.
Then in 14 months, when my incredible's original 2 yr contract expires, I'll drop that line altogether.
Voila! new Thunderbolt for $140 paid in 14 easy installments of $10 per month.

So the only question I have in this scenario is; can you keep your phone number for the primary line that you'll be using the TB with? Or do you have to use the TB on the new line and use whatever number comes with that line?

Upvote 0
They will switch the phone numbers around for you any way you like.

Sweet!

Sounds like this is the approach I'll be taking. I have an early upgrade on my main line, but my wife's line isn't eligible until November/December. I wasn't about to pay $700 retail for a smartphone.

We'll sell both of our Storm 2s on ebay and that will (surprisingly) cover the cost of the phone.

Upvote 0
Technically wouldn't they require the main plan to be upgraded to a family share plan in order to do this if it was not already? I am paying $39.99 right now for 450 minutes, and if I were to do this I would have to bump that to the base family share plan of $69.99 without the extra $10 on top of that because the first line is included. SO it would be an extra $30 per month for some people in this situation, not just $10. In my case, they never raised my ETF to $350 when I got my incredible on an early upgrade last year, so I would be able to just pay the $175 - $5 per month that I have been in the contract to get out of it and sign an new contract. Would be cheaper in the long run. But since I am able to early upgrade March 8 I will just wait until then and get the TBolt on a 1 year contract.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones