1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Thunderbolt Camera

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by EvilMonkey, Feb 26, 2011.

1. EvilMonkey

EvilMonkey Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 16, 2011
    Pilot
    California
    So I have seen a few hands on videos of the thunderbolt and heard plenty of people who claimed to have played with it. But I haven't heard anything about the camera. I don't own a camera and am hoping that this phone will be as good as a standard point'n'shoot. I know its 8mp and have heard that it is new, but if anyone has any experience with it, I would like to hear about it.

Advertisement

2. lamoglinsgal

lamoglinsgal Android Expert
    None

Jun 23, 2010
    Virginia
    I would imagine it would at least be as good as the camera on the Incredible, which to me is, well, incredible. :D I don't even use my digital camera anymore.

EvilMonkey likes this.
  3. EvilMonkey

None

Feb 16, 2011
    Pilot
    California
    I dont have an Inc and have never used one's camera. I use the 3.2mp one on my Env touch and it sucks. I might just head over to the verizon store to check out the inc. if only it wasn't 30 minutes away! =S

4. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest
    None
    I wouldn't expect any cell phone camera to be as good as some of the higher end point and shoot cameras. What do you intend on using the camera for? I wouldn't rely on a cell phone camera to take pictures you're submitting for Pulitzer prize considerations, but I'm sure the camera will be ok for everyday picture taking, and facebook/youtube uploads.

One question I have about the camera is how fast it will be to initiate the actual camera. My current HTC Touch Pro 2 takes forever to get into camera mode, or at least that's what it seems like after I've seen something worth taking a picture of. I hope the Thunderbolt's response is as fast as its namesake insists.

EvilMonkey likes this.
  5. lamoglinsgal

lamoglinsgal Android Expert
    None

Jun 23, 2010
    Virginia
    I haven't had any issues with my Inc camera until the other day when I tried to take a video of the TB commercial. Coincidence? :D Other than that, it's been great. It loads up fast enough to catch my 5 and 3-year-old (on Monday!) in action.

6. EvilMonkey

None

Feb 16, 2011
    Pilot
    California
    I just want something to take pictures with on the spot without having to buy and lug around a camera(my pockets are only big enough for one cool device).

I'm a pilot, so I need something that can take wide landscape shots from the air, and close ups of aircraft. The quality doesn't have to be award winning, just something that would look decent full screen on my computer monitor since I don't print pictures too often.

And like you said, a quick transition to the camera would be a big plus. Don't want to miss that Kodak moment (or a near mid-air ;)).

7. calbruc

calbruc Member
    None

Dec 14, 2009
    NJ, USA
    I have read in a couple places that the Camera in the Thunderbolt is better than the one in the Incredible, Evo, and Inspire. Haven't seen this officially, but it's supposed to do better with low-light and motion.

Checking out some threads where folks posted pictures with the above HTC phones -- I think the TB's camera will be pretty sweet. Anything in day- or bright- light looked great. Very clear, vivid colors, etc. Low light will probably be not so great and the double LED flash might actually kind of wash out a subject you're close to. I've read it also sometimes puts a yellow tint on the shots.

Anyway, here's a youtube vid where they open the camera app and mess with it for a few seconds. It launches FAST. The auto-focus looks pretty cool. Also, watch this in 1080, the quality is really stellar and you can see how good the screen looks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS6zBtFA370

pizz1000 and EvilMonkey like this.
  8. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest
    None
    Well Goose managed a great Polaroid shot and he only had a Polaroid instant camera.... /flamesuit

[​IMG]

dajogejr and EvilMonkey like this.
  9. jayishere

jayishere Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    IT Sales, Best Buy Closing Manager
    Washington, DC
    8MP is pretty good

10. EvilMonkey

None

Feb 16, 2011
    Pilot
    California
    I dont care much for megapixels. More important to me is the focus and image stabilization. Doesnt matter how big you can make the picture, if its blurry in the first place.

11. jayishere

jayishere Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    IT Sales, Best Buy Closing Manager
    Washington, DC
    the amount of megapixels help with image clarity as well as the stabliziation and focus

EvilMonkey likes this.
  12. stew560

stew560 Member
    None

Mar 27, 2010
    Engineer
    Barnegat, NJ
    Image Clarity and Focus have more to do with the quality of the lens and the size of the sensor, not the megapixels crammed in there.

13. pizz1000

pizz1000 Member
    None

Oct 29, 2009
    Arizona
    Nice video! Camera app did open fast and the focus seemed to latch right on. Screen was awesome as was the speed. I'll wait at long as it takes for this puppy :)

14. EvilMonkey

None

Feb 16, 2011
    Pilot
    California
    I forgot about that video. Thanks! It does load fast, but it also reminded me that there is no dedicated camera button which kind of sucks. Other than that, it looks like a pretty solid camera. It neat how instead of giving you a black screen for a second before giving you the picture (which usually looks nothing like what you were looking at before), it appears to just freeze the screen so your picture comes out exactly as it looks on the screen. And quickly too.

Talk to me goose! lol, i need a phone with Polaroid so i can snap shots of mig's while upside down.

15. Allodile

Allodile Member
    None

Feb 27, 2011
    Camera is hopefully amazing. I'm more worried about 2012 happening before i get to use the camera

16. Le0_Br4zUc4

Le0_Br4zUc4 Android Enthusiast
    None

HTC doesn't not have the greatest camera but the thunderbolt will have a new camera, 8mp and it is very nice to take low light pictures, it is also nice to take pictures when you're in motion, or picture of something moving.

17. ska.t73

ska.t73 Android Expert
    None

Mar 11, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    I was inverted...

18. Left Coast DJ

Left Coast DJ Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    Southern California
    +1 on the number of megapixels is no longer a measure of a camera. Case in point - iPhone 4. With its 5 megapixel camera, the iPhone 4 blows away other phone camera competition, including 8 megapixel ones, with the quality of pictures. I think the lens and the software have as much, if not more, to do with photo quality than megapixel size.

19. DroidL

DroidL Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 19, 2010
    Valrico, FL
    Actually the best looking pic I have seen from a phone cam were on a friends win 7 phone not sure which model. The were nice much better than my brothers iPhone.

My incredible has snapped some good looking pictures but sucks if there is much move movement or in low light settings.