• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thunderbolt delays...anyone starting to consider other options?

Are there people out there who are starting to get a little turned off by the Thunderbolt delay? What are some other upcoming devices that people are eyeing?

I haven't heard good things about motoblur, so i'm bit prejudiced against Bionic. I'm personally a HTC fan. DInc was a near-complete package for me that packed strong performance/camera/UI in a slim device (except for battery life of course). So now as I'm waiting for Thudnerbolt more than I was expecting to, I am thinking about the option of just waiting it out a little longer for Dinc2 (thunderbolt is a bit too bulky for my liking). I just wish i knew a little more about what dinc2 might be like and when it will be released.

So, is anyone now considering waiting for a different verizon phone besides Thudnerbolt?

Are there people out there who are starting to get a little turned off by the Thunderbolt delay? What are some other upcoming devices that people are eyeing?

I haven't heard good things about motoblur, so i'm bit prejudiced against Bionic. I'm personally a HTC fan. DInc was a near-complete package for me that packed strong performance/camera/UI in a slim device (except for battery life of course). So now as I'm waiting for Thudnerbolt more than I was expecting to, I am thinking about the option of just waiting it out a little longer for Dinc2 (thunderbolt is a bit too bulky for my liking). I just wish i knew a little more about what dinc2 might be like and when it will be released.

So, is anyone now considering waiting for a different verizon phone besides Thudnerbolt?

No Ive waited 3 months I can wait 2 more weeks

Upvote 0
That's would be a bit funny considering your user name is HTCThunderbolt and you changed to something else LOL
lol!!

and to the OP. I am currently planning on waiting until the upcoming thurs to get a new phone. if verizon has not released an official release date by that time I plan on getting the incredible. if the thunderbolt comes out within the 2 week return period awesome. if not oh well

Upvote 0
My upgrade is available as of tomorrow.... but really I'm overall very happy with my Droid X. I always get the itch for the newest tech to hit the street, but I am gonna wait a few months and see how the Tbolt and Bionic pan out in real world use before I do anything. I'm not really sure those phones are going to be any more real world useable than my X is now. But I will be watching both phones and user feedback very close. When I have an upgrade available I usually can't wait very long without using it lol.

Upvote 0
From what I've heard, the Battery life on the TD is horrid! Programmers are supposedly having issues programming the phone and its just konking out of juice during the program. That to me is a big problem...And realistically who knows if LTE is the culprit? When I break it down, I want a phone that has a Good battery life (like my Fascinate) and a sick screen, Yes like my Fascinate. What I might do is this...Get a 1 year agreement on T-Mobile with the Galaxy S 4G, it has 2.2 and supposedly they're 4G is super quick. Then after a year I'll weigh the options of what's available and what not. Surely by then mostly all phones with dual cores will be optimized for Android, and there should be a great selection of phones to choose from. And to be honest, vzw is becoming a major rip off as well. We shall see tomorrow when I take a ride to T-Mobile and use the Galaxy S 4G. If its all good, I'll be taking a one year hiatus from vzw!

Upvote 0
Yeah I am going to wait for another phone, I won't switch from VZW but Bionic is on my hit list now, just too many negative things for over a month to give me the warm and fuzzy on the TB. I am not the one to chase technology (can't keep up these days) but I know I want 4G, just hope a new 4G phone comes out soon on VZW.

Upvote 0
My understanding is the Bionic will follow the same rom protection policy as the Xoom, so if the Xoom can be rooted, so should the Bionic. We can probably thank iPhone for this, since Motorola can not risk losing sales with their main stream of revenue (VZW). Funny what competition does :)

The other options though are not known for decent update intervals (LG & Samsung). They are still in consumer electonics "fire and forget" mode. They make em', ship em' and basically forget about em'.

added

Seems a lot of first time post threads... Have I fallen for bait?

Upvote 0
Not really other than the iphone. I am going to take a good hard look at that. Android wise I have a rooted OG droid that is just about as good as anything else out here android wise so I will have to wait. I would only consider the iphone for the quality apps available and music features (I have to admit I just plain like itunes). Speed wise my droid run with them all.

Upvote 0
From what I've heard, the Battery life on the TD is horrid! Programmers are supposedly having issues programming the phone and its just konking out of juice during the program. That to me is a big problem...And realistically who knows if LTE is the culprit? When I break it down, I want a phone that has a Good battery life (like my Fascinate) and a sick screen, Yes like my Fascinate. What I might do is this...Get a 1 year agreement on T-Mobile with the Galaxy S 4G, it has 2.2 and supposedly they're 4G is super quick. Then after a year I'll weigh the options of what's available and what not. Surely by then mostly all phones with dual cores will be optimized for Android, and there should be a great selection of phones to choose from. And to be honest, vzw is becoming a major rip off as well. We shall see tomorrow when I take a ride to T-Mobile and use the Galaxy S 4G. If its all good, I'll be taking a one year hiatus from vzw!

those same rumors have also been put to rest. the TB is now rumored to have slightly better life than the incredible

Upvote 0
those same rumors have also been put to rest. the TB is now rumored to have slightly better life than the incredible

Really, slightly better battery life then an Incredible? Wow, that's awesome! Considering the incredible battery life was terrible, so the TB will get what 20 more minutes then the Incredible...LOL! Listen man, truthfully nobody knows what's going on with Big Red, and why they put the breaks on a release. But, my friend who's a Beta tester for vzw told me 2 weeks ago that I better get prepared to walk around with a charger because this thing is a major battery drain. Either way, I'm pretty much over it! When it comes out, it comes out! Not a matter of life and death for any of us!

Upvote 0
As much as I want this phone, my extra line annual upgrade is goos on 14 March. The closer we get to that date, the easier it will be to get them to waive it. I have an annual on my main line but it gets a renew every 2 on 15 May. I don't want to waiste it on an annual. I'm still good on waiting as much as it is frustrating.

Upvote 0
Yes I am starting to consider other options. Reading up about other LTE phones coming out.

Motorola Bionic
LG Revolution
HTC Thunderbolt
Samsung 4G

Out of the set, the Thunderbolt has the smallest battery, and the only one without an HDMI output.

Otherwise they all have about the same size screen. Lots of the other specs sound pretty close.

I thought the Thunderbolt would be out months before the others. But I see rumors about the LG and Motorola possibly coming out in March or April. If its just a couple of weeks later than the Thunderbolt, seems most prudent to wait and see what they offer before pulling the trigger.

Upvote 0
Me and my Eris have been waiting patiently since last August for the Thunderbolt. That abruptly ended on Saturday, when I read somewhere that testers were reporting actual-use battery life of only 2-3 hours. I will read all the reviews after the Thunderbolt is released. If battery life turns out to be okay, I'm still in. If not (I'm guessing less than 8 hours), then I will wait for the Bionic.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I think of of the thing the TB had going for it was an earlier release, considering that it doesn't have hdmi, and isn't dual-core. If releasing more alongside the later ones, it's less interesting.

Then again, where are all of Verizon's newer phones these days? They were on a tear last Fall, but now nothing. And I think they saw that the iPhone release was largely a waste of time. Few were going to buy before the June refresh, esp. after tasting Android.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones