1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Thunderbolt, Droid Charge, or Motorola Droid x2??

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dressagerider, Jun 3, 2011.

1. dressagerider

dressagerider Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 12, 2010
    I am switching from ATT and currently have the Inspire 4G. I love my phone and HTC, but ATT has no service in my area and I am dropping and missing calls daily.

4G is coming to my area in a few months, so I do not know how important it it is to get a 4G phone now. Will there be kinks to work out? Will 4G improve reception or just upload/download speeds? I really like the Motorola Droid x2 but it is not 4G - but does have dual core. The charge is beautiful but I am not familiar with samsung phones. The thunderbolt would be my first choice since I love HTC, but this phone has had a lot of problems and I am a little worried about that.

Any advice would be much appreciated!!!! I need to make the move asap.

Advertisement

2. Mayhem Industriez

None

Jun 7, 2010
    Houston, TX
    If I were you I would definitely pick up a 4g phone that way you can get the unlimited 4g data plan before it goes away. I currently have the first DROID x which I am not a big fan of at all. If you like HTC then you should just get the thunderbolt

3. Vance

Vance Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 28, 2009
    There are basically two real issues with the TB, battery life and this more recent "reboot" issue. The reboot is a software problem that came (or got much worse) due to a faulty update. So, as long as you make sure that update is not on the phone, you should not have the problem.

The battery life is going to be similar on the Charge, it is mostly a 4G issue, and with a couple of tweaks you can find hereabouts, it is not that bad.

So, I would not let the issues drive the decision, I would go down to your Verizon store and spend time with each phone. The deciding factors will tend to be personal preference. Physical buttons or capacitive, lighter or heavier build, soft-touch or glossy, Sense, Touchwiz or MotoBlur, etc.

4. Puppa

Puppa Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 25, 2010
    Linux kernel development, Android & Chrome
    Raleigh, NC
    I agree with Vance. Go play around with the phone yourself, and don't let a salesperson get in the way. Here's my personal 2 cents, though. Ranking quality of user interface from best to worst:

1) HTC Sense
    2) Touchwiz
    3) MotoBlur

I've had my Thunderbolt for 3 weeks now, and I don't regret my purchase. However, I live in a 3G area. On 3G, battery life for the Thunderbolt is better than my previous HTC Droid Incredible. In fact, the standard battery on the Thunderbolt outlasts the extended battery on the Incredible (much to my surprise), all things being equal.

If you live in a 4G area, though, you'll either want to turn 4G off (elsewhere here on the forum), or buy an extended battery right off the bat. I visited a 4G area last weekend and, while on 3G I can go a day and a half with the standard battery, I could only squeeze 6 hours out of the darned thing with 4G on (without changing a lot of settings). I also had trouble obtaining a GPS fix for whatever reason when the phone was connected to 4G, something that hasn't been much of a problem for me in 3G.

Connected to 4G for 3 days, the reboot issue happened 4 times in 3 days. Compare that to my 3G experience, where reboot happened 3 times in 3 weeks.

The battery life and stability will get better once Gingerbread arrives, probably in July (this is an uninformed, hunch-based guess). Verizon & HTC have been pretty good about offering Android version upgrades, generally more timely than other mfrs on Verizon.

5. dressagerider

dressagerider Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 12, 2010
    Thank you for the replies!

After spending time researching and playing with all phones, I decided on the Thunderbolt and am very pleased. I loved the droid x2, but could not justify spending the money on a phone that is not 4G when 4G is coming to my area this summer.

The thunderbolt has everything I loved about my inspire plus SO much more. I thought they were the same phones, but the display is much brighter and crisper and the processor is better/bigger which makes the thunderbolt a lot faster. The speaker is amazing! The inspire basically had no speaker and while speaking with someone on the phone, the call volume had to be on max and it was still hard to hear.

So far I have had no problems and am very pleased - although it has only been one day.

GrandMasterB likes this.
  6. paduncan

paduncan Newbie
    None

Mar 22, 2011
    I think using Green Power is the solution to the 4G battery issue. Essentially I have it set (when unplugged) to turn on the data connection (which I have set on 4G) every thirty minutes, and get emails for one minute, and then turn off the data connection again. If I turn the screen on, it will also open up the data connection (for example if I don't want to wait another 30 minutes).

When I am just in my office, and I am getting emails at my computer anway and I don't need to get them immediately on the Bolt.

Then at night, I have it completely turn off the data connections - similar to how I could perform auto-shutdown with my Blackberry Bold, except now I can still get phone calls.

This dramatically increases my battery life.

Puppa likes this.