• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thunderbolt Early Upgrade Possible?

My NE2 (upgrade eligibility) date is mid April. Assuming the Thunderbolt comes out around mid March, do you think Verizon will let me get the upgrade rate on the Thunderbolt when it comes out? I know they weren't allowing early upgrades for the iphone 4, so I'm wondering if it is possible with the TB. What is the policy on this? Thanks!

I got an early upgrade when I purchased my Eris, I believe it was 2-3 months early.

I tried doing the early upgrade in one of the corporate Verizon stores and they flat turned me down and told me that it can't be done.

I went home, called verizon, spoke to a nice young lady who told me "No Problem!". 5 minutes later I was giving her my order for my new phone.

It is well known that you will most likely get better service by calling vs. in-store.

*Note: As stated above, your mileage may vary. They changed alot of things lately.

Upvote 0
My NE2 (upgrade eligibility) date is mid April. Assuming the Thunderbolt comes out around mid March, do you think Verizon will let me get the upgrade rate on the Thunderbolt when it comes out? I know they weren't allowing early upgrades for the iphone 4, so I'm wondering if it is possible with the TB. What is the policy on this? Thanks!

I would say no, they may do it for week or so.

Also, as for as TBolt will be released either end of this month or early early March. No way it's pushing until Mid March.

Upvote 0
Friendly suggestion: Verizon has been changing their upgrade policies so you probably will get 10 different answers from 10 different people. You might just want to call in to Verizon customer service, plead your case, and get the answer straight from the horse's mouth. Don't take any answer from a non-Verizon employee as gospel.

This.

Anything is possible, you simply have to call and ask.

I got an early upgrade and I am not due until september.

People will say "Verizon doesn't do that anymore" but that just means they haven't tried, or didn't say the right things.

Upvote 0
This.

Anything is possible, you simply have to call and ask.

I got an early upgrade and I am not due until september.

People will say "Verizon doesn't do that anymore" but that just means they haven't tried, or didn't say the right things.
Agreed, my usual tactic is to make sure I get a female rep on the phone and kind of do the sweet talkin with her. LOL..

Upvote 0
Agreed, my usual tactic is to make sure I get a female rep on the phone and kind of do the sweet talkin with her. LOL..

That's funny. I'm a female, and I have better luck with females. :p With my whole number change/lost upgrade deal, the male reps I talked to could care less. I had a female CS and female email CS that solved my problem instantly.

I think it also depends on how you talk to them when you call in. I'm always very nice. I worked in customer for service for years, and as the old saying goes, you catch more flies with honey. It's true. Anyone that called me with an attitude, I already had the mindset of not wanting to help them -- especially when the attitude was from them just trying to get their way or bend the rules.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones