1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Thunderbolt is looping! help!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by putz, Dec 28, 2011.

1. putz

putz Member

Somehow an automatic OTA happened to my thunderbolt (which is rooted) & when I turn on my phone after a minute it automatically re-boots into clockwork recovery. then it shows the little android & a loading bar & about a quarter after the bar fills up, it stops & shows a hazard sign over the android & says,

"ClockworkMod Rcovery v3.0.2.5,

Finding update package,

opening update package,

verifying update package,

Failed to verify whole-file signature,

signature verification failed,

installation aborted"

And when I press re-boot system, the same thing happens, turns on for about a minute then back to recovery. Please help!!!!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. tensazan

tensazan Android Enthusiast

You'll want to plug your as card into a micro as card reader, then delete any PG05IGM file on the card, then go into recovery and wipe cache and dalvik cache. Hopefully that will fix it.

Once you wipe the cache and dalvik cache, the phone could stay on the splash screen for a while

3. putz

putz Member

Ok, I put my micro SD in the SD card reader & that into my Mac, when click on it & it only show "clockwork mod" & "LOST.DIR". on clockwork mod the only file it says is "recovery.log" & that's it, that's it shows from my SD card which is filled.

Also I think I deleted the PGO5IMG a while back, so how did that cause it. My phone still does the boot-loop without the Micro SD.

4. digdug1

digdug1 Android Expert

dont panic. do you have a backup made? if so with your phone off boot into the bootloader(hold volume down and power) then select go into recovery and from there restore a backup.
    if this doesnt work you will probably have to flash the .5 software in hboot a link to that file can be found in the all things root section.

oh yeah post these issues dealing with root in the all things root subforum;)

5. Ibrick

Ibrick Android Expert

Read the stickies and warnings at the top of the page, or the numerous threads in the all things root section regarding the 605.9 OTA and it breaking root.

Bottom line, you need to roll back to 605.5 and re-root your phone. Part of the OTA was patching the exploit used by Revolutionary and will break root.

6. digdug1

digdug1 Android Expert

if you rooted with revolutionary, you can look here for a solution:

If this happens you will need to wipe cache and dalvik cache in recovery and you will be able to reboot again. For more info on accidently accepting the OTA check this thread Help w/ Automatic OTA Update

if not then yeah you will have to roll back to .5 and reroot :(

7. putz

putz Member

Then I guess I should panic ;), cause I had backups, but I think when I cleared my cache partition & I may have accidentally erased everything on my SD. :(

Yeah sorry about that, it slipped my mind. :eek:

I Didn't root through Revolutionary. Just found some video off Youtube, I think it was called "easiest method for rooting" or something like that.

I wiped my data & cache (dont know where dalvik cache is) & my phone works for more than half the day with out the re-booting crap. but when I go to sleep at night & wake up the morning, I see my phone re-booted while I was asleep.

Also I delayed my OTA to 2013, but the phones says it can only be delayed up to 5 days (don't know why they have a "year" option then :thinking:) can I keep doing this every 5 days?

8. digdug1

digdug1 Android Expert

If you booted up your good. Head over to the root section and download the .9 ROM. Wipe and flash.

9. putz

putz Member

I managed to get OTA screen, where it asks me if I want to do the OTA or not. I chose to reject it & my phone seems be ok. If for whatever reason it stops working, I hope guys can help me! Thank you guys for your big help! :)

HTC Thunderbolt Forum

The HTC Thunderbolt release date was March 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1400mAh battery.

March 2011
Release Date
Reviews