• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thunderbolt: Last & only chance for unlimited 4G?

rushmore

Extreme Android User
Nov 13, 2008
Kentucky
Unless specified in the contract otherwise, data plans tend to be grandfathered from phone to phone. Considering if the Thunderbolt is released with unlimited 4G, could this mean the one and only chance for a person to get unlimited 4G?

If my warped premise is correct, it may be better to get the Thunderbolt in order to lock unlimited data in for 4G. This IMO would be a reason even for a dual core lurker like me to consider the TB. Future proof 4G data....

Yes, the premise IS a stretch, but perhaps plausible?

A benefit for Early Adopters? Maybe! My perfect "future-proof" phone would be a Thunderbolt/Evo-style with a Tegra2...but that probably won't happen before the tiered data plans. We still don't know if the Bionic, Revo, or Samsung will make it under that cut...

Verizon knows LTE is in limited areas right now and they want to give people an incentive to jump on now. (Vice the "Evo Tax" that Sprint charges...even when it looks like WiMax is on it's way out - I have a few pissed off Evo owner friends, lol!)

Upvote 0
I would do it, just to lock it in for the long term! But my fear is really on how battery life is using 4G? Especially if battery drainage was the culprit for the delay! But even moving past the TB, I'm really curious on how LTE will fare on other phones as well. Especially when u consider the prices they're going to be charging.

Reactions: ckochinsky125
Upvote 0
One way around it if you're looking for dual core AND 4G unlimited, purchase the TB at BB and use their buy-back program to subsidize the full retail price of the dual-core phone you're considering. Although, I would imagine that you'd get a better price for the Thunderbolt on Ebay than you would if you let Best Buy buy your phone back. When you get the new dual core phone, just transfer service to the new dual core.

Upvote 0
Must make a comment on the BB buy back Program....

Best Buy is not being nice to you by offering this, they are looking to make money and this is just another source of it.

I can not see any instance where someone would benefit by paying money up front to have the right to sell something back later. Save your money when you buy and sell for more then they will pay later.

Even if they give it to you for free it is not a slam dunk as far as being a good deal on a smart phone. :)

Upvote 0

Best Buy is not being nice to you by offering this, they are looking to make money and this is just another source of it.

I can not see any instance where someone would benefit by paying money up front to have the right to sell something back later. Save your money when you buy and sell for more then they will pay later.

Even if they give it to you for free it is not a slam dunk as far as being a good deal on a smart phone. :)

Especially if you lose it, ha!

Upvote 0

It's definitely a money making scheme for Best Buy, but you have some people that are so afraid of buying new technology for fear that it will be obsolete in a few months. The only way I can see a consumer benefiting from this is if there's some technology out there that really hits a brick wall (HD DVD, Progressive Scan DVD-right after Bluray came out, Laserdisc when DVD came out, etc) after you purchase it. Although knowing how some companies work, Best Buy probably has some disclaimer that states if the price falls below 1/2 the cost then they will not buy your product back. I think you're better off using E-bay or even Craigslist to get rid of older technology.

Upvote 0
The Sammy Stealth is apparently close to release as well, so maybe not just the TB before March is through.

Added: 4G does drains more battery, so best to only use when you really need it. Use 3G otherwise, to save battery.

Tx, seems good strategy.

i was just looking at the stealth. if it launches before the TB and it launches with GB i might have a tough choice.

Upvote 0
I decided after a lot of delays with the TB I planned to just wait for the Bionic but with the news of tiered pricing coming mid-summer I would bet that this would coincide with the launch of the Bionic.

I'll probably end up with the TB, get my 4G grandfathered on my line and when the Bionic comes out, give that to my wife. She would be less affected by a tiered data plan than I would.

Upvote 0
...you have some people that are so afraid of buying new technology for fear that it will be obsolete in a few months.
Your premise is off by 21 months. It ain't just a few months anymore. With the loss of VZW's annual upgrade and NE2, you're looking at TWO YEARS. Odds are that all of us will want a new phone before that. And you're not gonna get any help from VZW on that. Other than paying full retail.

-Frank

Upvote 0
^You are saying the same thing. What he is saying is that when you purchase a subsidized phone, you are committing to a term contract and some people are scared that if they commit that long term contract (1-2 years), something new will come out "in a few months" and they will be stuck with an obsolete phone for the rest of your contract.

I keep going back and forth as to whether or not I want to jump on the bandwagon now and potentially get unlimited 4G, or wait for that "next best thing"...

But if the TBolt launches with a 4G premium attached to it, I'm out. I'm not paying for something I won't be able to use 99% of the time, lol!

Upvote 0
I can't see an increase right away. Little hard to make someone pay for something that is not widely available.

Hence, get in NOW while it is not and still unlimited, so you can keep 4G unlimited for future devices ;) ASSUMING it would actually work that way (grandfathering).

You know, we assume it will be unlimited with TB, but there STILL is not a product sold to have the service yet to confirm this.... Hmmmmmmm

Could have a premium for unlimited- then paying for something most will not have for up to a year.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones