1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Thunderbolt root horror stories

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MythX, Apr 22, 2012.

1. MythX

MythX Newbie

I have a Thunderbolt with the 2.11.605.9 firmware....yeah, upgrade before I looked into the rooting......actually, to be honest, I was happy with the phone until this update when they took away my mobile hotspot and told me it would be an additional $30/month.

Anway, I can't afford to buy another Thunderbolt, so if I brick mine, it's back to the stone age of a non-smart phone for a while. So, what are the real risks using the revolutionary method? If I follow the directions properly, and don't suffer a computer crash in the process, is the success rate 100%? I'm comfortable with a CLI, been doing computers since the mid 80's, have been doing the impossible with computers since the days of DOS.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Jason

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. angldvl81

angldvl81 Android Expert

As long as you follow the instructions, you'll be fine. If you run into any problems, just ask. I've rooted 2 tbs using Revolutionary (the latest being .9 firmware) and had no issues.

3. I agree. Just follow the instructions in the pinned topics here and you'll be fine.

4. MythX

MythX Newbie

Has anyone done the revolutionary root from Linux using wine?

5. MythX

MythX Newbie

Alright, running into problems already.

I'm following these directions: http://androidforums.com/thunderbolt-all-things-root/418539-thunderbolt-root-unroot-thread.html

I'm stuck on step 7 of "how to root 2.11.605.9/2.11.605.19 WITHOUT downgrading"

It's not seeing my device (or any devices). I've removed all the drivers (HTC Sync) and such. I've verified that my phone is in Charge only mode, and that It's set for USB debugging.

It prompts me for drivers when I plug it in, but I don't install them.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

BTW, I'm running Windows Vista (Only windows OS I have).

6. MythX

MythX Newbie

Looks like I answered by own question. Shouldn't have removed the driver.

7. angldvl81

angldvl81 Android Expert

Exactly! Hope you got it working!

8. MythX

MythX Newbie

Successfully rooted tbolt last night.....revolutionary wouldn't do it automatically, so had to do it manually. All is good now.

Can anyone suggest a good tethering app? Would like infrastructure mode with wpa encryption.

Thanks for the support

9. fendee1

fendee1 Newbie

Barnacle tether, and open garden, wifi tether, I use one if not working then use the other. Works great. Phone vibrates when connected. Using now for a year.

HTC Thunderbolt Forum

The HTC Thunderbolt release date was March 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1400mAh battery.

March 2011
Release Date
Reviews