• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Thunderbolt Root/Unroot Thread

any of the stock based roms you can try to flash without doing a "wipe data/factory reset" and see if your data is preserved. going from froyo to GB id expect some force closes,and things to not work so swell,but you can try it.

the wonderful thing about ROM flashing is you can backup your current setup. if you dont like the rom,all you have to do is restore the backup.

all of your contacts,etc. should be stored in google. you can use titanium backup to back up apps and app data( NOT system data). this makes re-setup hassel minimal... all youll have to do is:
1)sync with google
2)restore apps with TiBu
3)set wall papers and homescreens.
4)set other settings and ringtones.
5)set up other accounts(like email if you use something other than gmail)

if you want to try shift sense,just install one of the custome recoveries(id reccomend Amon_Ra or TWRP,but the latest clockwork is fine,too.)

if you dont like it,just restore your backup,then flash the stock recovery back and youre back on track to recieve OTAs :)

Upvote 0
Ok...I rerooted...

Done a TiBu but only did apps...:rolleyes:

Flashed a ROM and don't like it...

Now I can't get back to my original ROM cause I didn't do a proper backup...

So now what?...

Flash everything back to stock?...

If so could you please provide links to do so?...

Again...so sorry for all the noob stuff...

Upvote 0
New problem...I try to boot into recovery and get the black screen and ! mark...

No what?...

Should I try to flash a ROM thru hboot recovery?

Sorry to be so much trouble...

you have the stock recovery still. thats what the ! and triangle indicate. youll need to install a custom recovery(clockwork,twrp,or amon) in hboot. the downloads are all in the hboots and recoverys thread. :)

Upvote 0
Thanks...

But is there anyway to get it back to the way it was before I flashed the ROM?

I'm ok with the new ROM I flashed...but it doesn't have a setting under messages to auto retrieve while roaming...

Do a factory rest?...

hopefully you didnt jump in with both feet again without doing sufficient research,and you made a backup as i suggested a couple posts up.

if you dont like the rom,simply restore the backup,then flash the stock recovery again.

Upvote 0
I did do a backup...but only apps:rolleyes:

As stated I am a noob...and didn't do a full backup with titanium

you dont do a backup with titanium. you do a nandroid backup in your custom recovery.

at this point,with no backups,you are screwed at getting your original setup back.
your options now to get back on a stock rom:
1)flash a rooted stock rom(GB or froyo) in custom recovery
2)flash an RUU

both will wipe your data and need re-setup. an ruu wont be rooted,so youll have to root it if you want to use TiBu to restore apps.

before you do anything else,id suggest you read thru the "how to and some terminology" sticky post at the top of the page. theres alot of info there,and alot of things that maybe will help you to find out beforehand,rather than after the fact ;)

and actually,i lied. you may not be screwed. you can flash a stock rooted rom overtop of your shift sense with no data wipe(just like how you flashed that rom) and hopefully that will work without issue. this time,make a nandroid backup in recovery before flashing the new rom. just search on xda for a rooted,2.11.605.3 stock rom.

if the result is functional,and has no wierd issues or force closes,then you could still install a matching stock recovery,delete SU,and be good to go. id prolly make a backup before flashing the stock recovery. just in case ;)

Upvote 0
sorry,i couldnt find one over there,either. but a google search turned up one here:
[GB][2.11.605.3]Debloat, Stock, Rooted

Thanks for the link...

I flashed it but the messaging app still doesn't have "auto retrieve while roaming" in the settings...

Before I started all this rooting mess there was that setting...

I actually found a gingerbread mms.apk...installed it and moved it to the sytems/app folder using root explorer...and deleted the mms.apk that was with the ROM I'm using...

Its kind of hit and miss on receiving mms...

Wonder why that setting is not in the stock ROM?...

Upvote 0
Thanks for the link...

I flashed it but the messaging app still doesn't have "auto retrieve while roaming" in the settings...

Before I started all this rooting mess there was that setting...

I actually found a gingerbread mms.apk...installed it and moved it to the sytems/app folder using root explorer...and deleted the mms.apk that was with the ROM I'm using...

Its kind of hit and miss on receiving mms...

Wonder why that setting is not in the stock ROM?...

Did you reboot after moving the mms.apk? System apps don't show up until reboot. I think that is in settings which IIRC wouldn't have to do with the mms.apk but the one of the settings apk I don't know which one however

Upvote 0
Ok...trying to get to stock...followed all the directions...

I have hboot 1.04.2000 (PG510000)...the difference i see here is that in the instructions I should have the old 1.49.2000 bootloader...which it isn't...according to the #'s in hboot on my phone...

Downloaded both files...trying to flash noboot first and get no image file or wrong image file...:thinking:

Now what?...

Upvote 0
Ok...trying to get to stock...followed all the directions...

I have hboot 1.04.2000 (PG510000)...the difference i see here is that in the instructions I should have the old 1.49.2000 bootloader...which it isn't

Downloaded both files...trying to flash noboot first and get no image file or wrong image file...:thinking:

Now what?...

try redownloading it.check the md5. also be aware that this is going to take you back to froyo.

Upvote 0
try redownloading it.check the md5. also be aware that this is going to take you back to froyo.

First off let me say thank you Scotty for all your help and me being so much trouble...

Next... redownloading which file?...

and...how do I check the md5?

Thats fine about the froyo thing...

BTW...I did find a rom that I like but for some odd reason my gmail app under settings didn't have any option for changing the ringtone, ect...have no idea what thats all about...:thinking:

And...I do leave the .zip extension on there correct?

Upvote 0
First off let me say thank you Scotty for all your help and me being so much trouble...

Next... redownloading which file?...
wichever one gave you the no image error(no_hboot)

and...how do I check the md5?
download an md5 checker on your pc,or check on your phone with scary aliens android file verifier

Thats fine about the froyo thing

And...I do leave the .zip extension on there correct?
if your using windows,no. it will automatically add and hide the extension,so just rename PG05IMG

NEVER flash anything in hboot that you havent verified the md5 of. i cant stress that enuff.

i also storngly disagree with your repeated flashing of your bootloader,especially now that i know you have no idea how to even check md5s. a bad flash of one of these files is the best way i know of to turn your phone into an expensive paperweight. ive tried to emphasize this,but perhaps you still dont have a clear understanding of the risks you are taking with the rooting,unrooting,rerooting.

Upvote 0
NEVER flash anything in hboot that you havent verified the md5 of. i cant stress that enuff.

i also storngly disagree with your repeated flashing of your bootloader,especially now that i know you have no idea how to even check md5s. a bad flash of one of these files is the best way i know of to turn your phone into an expensive paperweight. ive tried to emphasize this,but perhaps you still dont have a clear understanding of the risks you are taking with the rooting,unrooting,rerooting.

So mad he can't even type straight :eek:

@jtb199 download MD5summer and use it to check the md5sums. Scotty is taking that attitude for a reason you could have very well bricked your phone by not doing the proper steps to make sure you were flashing an uncorrupted file. So far it sounds like you have been lucky but even the best gambler loses at some point. I urge you to take more time and make sure you are doing things as directed so you don't end up having to call asurion and file a claim because you got in too deep.

Upvote 0
So mad he can't even type straight :eek:

@jtb199 download MD5summer and use it to check the md5sums. Scotty is taking that attitude for a reason you could have very well bricked your phone by not doing the proper steps to make sure you were flashing an uncorrupted file. So far it sounds like you have been lucky but even the best gambler loses at some point. I urge you to take more time and make sure you are doing things as directed so you don't end up having to call asurion and file a claim because you got in too deep.

So sorry for all the trouble...

But I THINK I have finally got it...

Again...sorry Scotty...

And thank you...Yeahha

Upvote 0
I coulda told you the charge sucks ;) dinc2 may have same files the TB has,but its a nice phone if you want a smaller screen and no 4g.

I'd go back to the TB on cm7,if it was me :)

i put my phone up for trade on craigslist as i cannot afford to go out and buy another phone yet. im saving for the prime. but yeah i agree the charge just isn't all that. i may look into the dinc2 as i don't get good 4g where im at anyways.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones