• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root thunderbolt rooting methods(updated 8-24-2011)

Hi again.

I might have found the solution to remove Revolutionary. Or it seems to have been resolved. I just wonder if anyone (preff yeahha or scotty85 who seem to have alot of knowledge) could check on it to se how safe it realy is. I understand its never safe to mess with hboot but if its a 100% rate of faliur or maybe alot less?

The links are as following:

S-ON after Revolutionary S-OFF possible? [SOLVED] - xda-developers <-- The forum where i found the "fix" talk. The guy who got the answer were told by someone from Revolutionary to use the link below.

AlphaRev 1.8 <--- The link to where the fix is. Its way beyond my knowledge. If you ask me to fix your computer hardware or software, that i can do. To mess with a phones OS...well thats wayyyy beyond me. :(

//T

Upvote 0
that certainly looks like your answer :)

i downloaded it,it looks like its just an hboot image,and an android info text document. it doesnt say wether you are to extract or not,i assume,its going to flash the .zip itself,so place the .zip inside your "desire" folder and use their command.

Code:
fastboot flash hboot bravo_downgrade.img

let me know how it goes :)

Upvote 0
that certainly looks like your answer :)

i downloaded it,it looks like its just an hboot image,and an android info text document. it doesnt say wether you are to extract or not,i assume,its going to flash the .zip itself,so place the .zip inside your "desire" folder and use their command.

Code:

let me know how it goes :)

Nice. ty. il try it now and post how it goes

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
oops,i lied to you. there are 2 downloads,one for just an image,one for a PB99IMG file... i had clicked on the PB99IMG download

youll want to download the image and place it in your desire folder(not the PB99IMG.zip)

alternatively,you can download the PB99IMG file,place it on the root of your sd card,and then power on into hboot(power/volume down) and then tell it "yes" to update

my apologies for the confusion :eek:

Reactions: aasterix
Upvote 0
okej i cant seem to acess the file.
Tried the following.

In bootloader i cant acces the file.

In android OS i type cd "e:\map folder" and it wont show.

i tried fastboot flash hboot bravo_downgrade.img and nothing happens because, well its not "connected".

So what am i doing wrong?

see above,i may have confused you.

Upvote 0
if you want to use fastboot,use the guide,but ignore the "unlock" command,and substitute the second command for the one i just put above

okej i tried the fastboot commands and this is what it gave me after a couple of tries:

C:\DESIRE>fastboot flash hboot bravo_downgrade.img
error: cannot load 'bravo_downgrade.img'

C:\DESIRE>fastboot flash hboot bravo_alphaspl
error: cannot load 'bravo_alphaspl'

C:\DESIRE>fastboot flash hboot bravo_alphaspl.img
sending 'hboot' (512 KB)... OKAY [ 0.094s]
writing 'hboot'... OKAY [ 0.156s]
finished. total time: 0.250s

C:\DESIRE>

If i put the zip on the sd, should i rename it update then? Because as it is now it wont detect the zip file.

Upvote 0
okej i tried the fastboot commands and this is what it gave me after a couple of tries:

C:\DESIRE>fastboot flash hboot bravo_downgrade.img
error: cannot load 'bravo_downgrade.img'

C:\DESIRE>fastboot flash hboot bravo_alphaspl
error: cannot load 'bravo_alphaspl'

C:\DESIRE>fastboot flash hboot bravo_alphaspl.img
sending 'hboot' (512 KB)... OKAY [ 0.094s]
writing 'hboot'... OKAY [ 0.156s]
finished. total time: 0.250s

C:\DESIRE>

If i put the zip on the sd, should i rename it update then? Because as it is now it wont detect the zip file.

it looks like you have successfully overwritten the revolutionary hboot. however,you have overwritten it with a newer hboot than what there should be for your current firmware.

im actually not sure what to tell you to do now... im not sure if you should reboot,and check your hboot,or if using this one with your firmware will cause you a security warning.

if you reboot,and its ok,all youll have to do is flash the reccomended RUU from the xda thread.

if you get a security warning,you will need to flash newer RUUs until one works.

i believe what you should have done was flash the downgrade image,then immediately ran an RUU so that it would replace with its own corresponding hboot.

i dont want to advise you of the wrong thing. :eek:

Upvote 0
C:\fastboot>fastboot oem mb 9C068490 1 30

thats the new command i have to use.
Could you tell me if the command line after oem should change? The phone hes using is a HTC Buzz and im on a disire.

my hboot file is from the zip you showed me.

Guide at:
S-ON again after AlphaRevx instructions - xda-developers

Hehe just saw your new post :p
Im so lost right now. but im still on the same ruu that you gave me so to flash with the new hboot from the zip you linked to that i got in my phone alredy shoud in all theory be OK....right? =P

Upvote 0
OKEJ SERIOSLY!
Now im getting mad instead of happy....
It dosent say revolutionary anymore....it says AlphaRev.

Wtf?! LOL

--------------------
i Found the answer on another site to remove alpharev. Just need to find me a hboot for desire.

Il return after i tried that =)

ooooh i get it now...

you replaced revolutionarys hboot with alpharevs hboot,lol.... thats what the ones above the downgrader image are. they arent stock... they are patched ones like revo.

if you think you have anyther solution,you can roll with that :D

or you can try the xda thread you linked:

flash the downgrader image a couple times and see if it works. if it does,flash an ruu.

Upvote 0
C:\fastboot>fastboot oem mb 9C068490 1 30

thats the new command i have to use.
Could you tell me if the command line after oem should change? The phone hes using is a HTC Buzz and im on a disire.

my hboot file is from the zip you showed me.

Guide at:
S-ON again after AlphaRevx instructions - xda-developers

Hehe just saw your new post :p
Im so lost right now. but im still on the same ruu that you gave me so to flash with the new hboot from the zip you linked to that i got in my phone alredy shoud in all theory be OK....right? =P

that is for wildfire. i dont believe that will work either,just like the TB one didnt work... keep trying the xda directions:

1. what: downgrade HBOOT using AlphaRev
how: go to AlphaRev 1.8, download (and always MD5-) check "bravo_downgrade.img", flash using fastboot

2. what: flash stock RUU
how:go to Shipped ROMs and download RUU for your device and run the executable
(I chose "RUU_Bravo_Froyo_HTC_WWE_2.29.405.5_Radio_32.49.00 .32U_5.11.05.27_release_159811_signed.exe " since it turned out to contain HBOOT 0.93 which I wanted)

3. done

Upvote 0
that is for wildfire. i dont believe that will work either... keep trying the xda directions:

1. what: downgrade HBOOT using AlphaRev
how: go to AlphaRev 1.8, download (and always MD5-) check "bravo_downgrade.img", flash using fastboot

2. what: flash stock RUU
how:go to Shipped ROMs and download RUU for your device and run the executable
(I chose "RUU_Bravo_Froyo_HTC_WWE_2.29.405.5_Radio_32.49.00 .32U_5.11.05.27_release_159811_signed.exe " since it turned out to contain HBOOT 0.93 which I wanted)

3. done

Najs, il try to download the same ruu he used and se where it takes me =)

Upvote 0
one thing thats good about all this is that im learning alot of commands :p

So far i executed fastboot flash hboot bravo.img one time and did a new ruu flash. That dident work.

This time im executing fastboot flash hboot bravo.img successfully about 4 times with a restart of hboot in between each flash.

Gona try the ruu now but dont think its gona work =/

---------------

After the next ruu flash now its still there, even flashed the hboot one more time but still there.
Bleh :(

im gona search for more info on sunday morning. Its 02.40 here now so need to sleep.
Ty kevin and god night =)...or morning for you i gues :p

Upvote 0
#2 of the xda directions is a little vauge on what to do... reboot,then run ruu,or run ruu immediately after,with the phone in fastboot.

i have started ruus with the phone in fastboot,so maybe you could try that if you havent...

get successful flash of the downgrader image. then,run the ruu,with it still in fastboot. do not reboot hboot after flashing the downgrade image. it may be "relocking" the permanent hboot when you do that :eek:

Upvote 0
#2 of the xda directions is a little vauge on what to do... reboot,then run ruu,or run ruu immediately after,with the phone in fastboot.

i have started ruus with the phone in fastboot,so maybe you could try that if you havent...

get successful flash of the downgrader image. then,run the ruu,with it still in fastboot. do not reboot hboot after flashing the downgrade image. it may be "relocking" the permanent hboot when you do that :eek:

Hi and god morning again and ty for replying =) Il try to do everything in fastboot then =)

--------------------------------

So flashed the hboot first and then the ruu and that dident work.
Il just post and ask the person if he could be more specific.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
thanks for the update. hopefully he can clear it up some.

another option might be:
1)flash the downgrader image successfully.

2)then try and flash the hboot.nb0 that i pulled from your ruu.

since you successfully wrote the alpharev hboot after the revolutionary one,maybe you can write the stock one after the alpharev one :p

make sure hboot.nb0 and bravo_downgrader.img are both in your desire folder,run that first RUU again,then:

1)
Code:

2)
Code:
fastboot flash hboot hboot.nb0

if it worked,this would put the hboot that matches the first ruu you ran back on the phone. you could then let it OTA to current firmware,or run a newer ruu,since youll have a stock,matching hboot now.

im on my way out again,but ill try and watch and see how its going :)

Upvote 0
Hi again.
So found one with the answer...just waiting for it you could say :p
But he means it dident work because i never did it in fastboot. But that cant be right? We did it in fastboot, right?

S-ON after Revolutionary S-OFF possible? [SOLVED] - xda-developers

i dont know what hes talking about. adb is how you use fastboot. :eek: i think he is confused.

you were in fastboot,as thats where "adb reboot bootloader" takes you. if you had been in hboot,adv prolly would not have even seen your device to enter commands.

did you try flashing the downgrader image,then flashing the stock hboot as i described above?

Upvote 0
i dont know what hes talking about. adb is how you use fastboot. :eek: i think he is confused.

you were in fastboot,as thats where "adb reboot bootloader" takes you. if you had been in hboot,adv prolly would not have even seen your device to enter commands.

did you try flashing the downgrader image,then flashing the stock hboot as i described above?

Hi Kenny and thank you for the respons on xda. =) Sorry for a late reply but been having strange work hours.

I also started to suspect that he might not be correct in his statement because i tried to acces the phone in hboot and "the device needs to be installed" message came up in windows, so iv been in fastboot all the time.

I flashed the phone first, and then i did the hboot, and i also did it reversed.
But just to be absolutely sure, with downgrade, do you mean the ruu? The one im using is:

RUU_Bravo_Froyo_HTC_WWE_2.29.405.5_Radio_32.49.00.32U_5.11.05.27_release_159811_signed.exe

http://shipped-roms.com/download.ph...05.27_release_159811_signed.exe&send_file=yes

--------------

oh i dident see that there were now 3 pages with comments on xda. I cant understand a thing your talking about haha. im totaly cluless tbh, What are you guys? software enginers?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones