• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Thunderbolt scren - Super LCD?

So these two guys are hiking in the woods when they see a bear about the time the bear sees them. "OMG! WhaddaWeGonnaDo!" shouts the first - and he turns and sees his buddy with his boots off, changing into his sneakers. "WTF!" he cried, "you can't outrun a bear!" "I know that," said his buddy, "I just need to outrun you."

So - the retinal display (an LCD with a lot of pixels) has dots so small that no normal eye can really distinguish them. Why?

Because at 480x320, they were getting outrun by Androids and their age was showing in light of what many of us carried.

So - if you go retinal display level of dots, you've achieved perfection and no one can outrun you, right?

Uh - well, that's marketing - here's the truth.

If you double the old resolution of 480x320 (that didn't look as good as new Androids) you get 960x640.

You also get the pleasure of trying to market to people in a way that somehow convinces them that by overdoing it and making them pay an increased price for a dot resolution they'll never really appreciate, you did them a favor.

So - why did they choose that resolution?

Apps. The existing iPhone app developers only needed to do simple x2 scaling to boost their apps from the old iPhone to the iP4.

Because sometimes the bear you're running from is Android - and sometimes, it's your own stable of app developers.

Somebody who likes to discuss this stuff explained more over here:

http://androidforums.com/android-lo...lcd-vs-qhd-vs-retina-display.html#post2260309

Oh - it's me. ;) :)

~~~~

Bottom line - once you can only see lines and not dots, you're pretty much home free. That's not just dots per inch - it dots per inch plus screen size plus distance from your eyes. The above post and the follow-ons explain in detail.

Remember - entire galaxies chock-full of zillions of huge stars are really only one pixel big when far enough away. So never buy into dots per inch - it's one side of a triangle, not the whole deal.

Hope this helps!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones