1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Thunderbolt squeaking

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dm33, Apr 20, 2011.

1. dm33

dm33 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 23, 2010
    Just received a Thunderbolt via mail. Generally looks ok. However the plastic on either side of the screen, around where you'd typically hold it, about the level of the volume rocker, appears to be loose and squeaks if you squeeze it a little, as is typical while holding it.

Is this normal for all Thunderbolts?
    Would a Verizon store exchange a phone received through telesales for a issue such as this?

The plastic around the screen seems ok everywhere else. But around where the volume rocker and the corresponding spot on the other side, you can even see it visibly move if you look very carefully. And it squeaks.

Others experience with this would be helpful. I'm planning to go by a store and checkout the display phone when I get a chance.

Advertisement

2. djkeller3

djkeller3 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 5, 2010
    Business Owner
    Lexington, KY
    LMAO!! I'm sorry, don't mean to be rude, but that's just part of the HTC experience... shoot, they ALL probably do that. I know mine does. Drives me crazy when I think about it, but the darn thing is so good otherwise. If you're going to own an HTC product, just accept that the plastic will be creaky and all will be good.

My Incredible did that from day 1, and it was really bad at it. But it also was by far the best phone I've ever had and I modded that thing to the extreme. The Thunderbolt will be like that too once CM7 and other AOSP ROMs are available.

Some have tried putting tissue paper under the plastic back cover, but I've never had any success with that.

3. dm33

dm33 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 23, 2010
    I have an Incredible. I've never noticed it creaking. It certainly doesn't move around the screen.

I'm not talking about the battery cover. This is on face. Immediately next to the screen on the right and left.

I've studied more carefully and you can see it move if you squeeze it lightly along the sides of the screen, but only this one spot causes the squeak, or pop.

I also have a snug fitting silicone cover on my Incredible from Verizon. Maybe it prevents any similar behavior on the Incredible.

4. Lunacy

Lunacy Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 22, 2011
    The bottom of my volume rocker squeaked when pressed before, but I guess since I've handled it so much it went away.

5. damule6666

damule6666 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 14, 2010
    Head Bottle washer!
    Right behind YOU!

Welcome to HTC! lol

The Moto products don't feel as flimsy or creaky.. But boy oh boy do you give up A LOT with them as far as customizing..

6. sean76

sean76 Android Expert
    None

May 5, 2010
    THE BOSS
    NYC
    Yes....welcome to HTC!

7. CharlzO

CharlzO Android Expert
    None

Apr 2, 2011
    Male
    Computer Programmer
    If it's squeaking, it means it's time to pop the battery cover back off and feed the mice inside to power the phone.

But yes, a phone through Telesales CAN be exchanged through a corp. store, though they will definately try to have you do it through Tele instead, since that's where it came from. Ultimately though, you would be able to. Make sure you do like the phone though, just to be safe. You're given 14 days to try it. Make sure you like it, in case the store uses it as your "1 time replacement" if you want to exchange it. (They shouldn't, if it's defective, but...never know)

8. Kori_Tamashii

Kori_Tamashii Android Enthusiast
    None

May 4, 2010
    Being insane is a full time job.
    La Vista, NE
    Mine's also squeaking, but I'm TOTALLY willing to put up with it.

9. Wolfedude88

Wolfedude88 Android Expert
    None

Jan 3, 2010
    Male
    Jr. I.T. Support Tech @ Amazon
    Plainfield, Indiana
    My back squeaks, drives me insane, my Incredible was the same way. Not sure if yours is the same issue though from what you are saying.

Definitely an HTC thing, but when I get CM7 it will be worth it.

10. captcha

captcha Lurker
    None

Jun 17, 2011
    OMG I thought my phone was defective I noticed this EXACT same problem!! I was so pissed because I already had to go back to the verizon store twice. Glad I looked it up first.

11. DEng66

DEng66 Member
    None

Apr 27, 2010
    Montgomery, AL
    Yep, I had a squeaky Incredible and a squeaky Thunderbolt (oh dear god did that extended battery door make some noise!). I've got the Sensation now and it appears to be squeak-free so far. We'll see if it develops any "personality" later on!