• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Let's say the bsod is getting to me and I exchange my phone. I backup everything to tibu and then what - can I dump the folder on my computer and copy to my new SD card?

That's pretty much what I did. I did a backup up using TiBu on my old phone, copied the folder to the computer, and then copied that folder to my new SD card on the Bionic. After rooting my Bionic, I installed TiBu, set the Backup folder location (in Preferences) to the TiBu folder on /mnt/sdcard-ext (as a default TiBu will try to find your backup directory on /mnt/sdcard which is the Bionic's internal media area) , and then did a batch restore of all apps with data. Most everything came back and I only had to do some minor tweeking to fix some settings.

Reactions: MtnbikerChk
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
well I guess my question is "SHOULD" I unroot before factory reset.

and I read the restore instructions - does that mean the restore on motorola's website won't work?

Yes, Motorola's instructions will work ... I just don't think you'll be UNrooted after. Frankly, I see no reason to ever unroot a phone. It's almost ... cruel. ;)

Upvote 0
well I guess my question is "SHOULD" I unroot before factory reset.

and I read the restore instructions - does that mean the restore on motorola's website won't work?

Motorola https://motorola-global-portal.cust...id/69191/~/droid-bionic---external-hard-reset

Well, if you're returning it under warranty for a replacement, yes, I'd unroot it using the FXZ method I referred to in my earlier post- and no, those instructions at Motorola's website are just a different way of doing the same thing from inside the Android operating system - in fact, if you look underneath the first procedure, the second procedure (which accomplished the same thing) is using the Factory reset built into Android - so, it will not alter your /system partition, only the /data and /cache partitions. IOW, it will not unroot the phone for you.

The order should be as follows:

1. make TiBu backup to SDCard.
  2. dump SDCard to computer
  3. format SDCard (in computer or else in the phone after dumping) only do this if you return the sdcard with the phone
  4. format Media Area (this may be optional, but IIRC the FXZ method does not erase Media area nor sdcard)
  5. use FXZ method to restore phone completely to stock.

Upvote 0
  1. make TiBu backup to SDCard.
  2. dump SDCard to computer
  3. format SDCard (in computer or else in the phone after dumping) only do this if you return the sdcard with the phone
  4. format Media Area (this may be optional, but IIRC the FXZ method does not erase Media area nor sdcard)
  5. use FXZ method to restore phone completely to stock.

I wouldn't worry about steps 2 and 3. Every phone I've ever taken back for replacement that had an sdcard, VzW never made me return the sdcard with it. In fact, I believe it's their policy to have the customer keep their sdcard.

Upvote 0
Yes, Motorola's instructions will work ... I just don't think you'll be UNrooted after. Frankly, I see no reason to ever unroot a phone. It's almost ... cruel. ;)

well I don't want to unroot it - I don't even want to return it but I was considering running the reset to see if it clears up the BSOD issue (which btw **knock on wood** hasn't happened in over a week).

so thanks :)

If it happens again I will run the reset without unrooting.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones