• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

metadog

Oct 21, 2010
Hi! My Galaxy Tab ime keeps changing itself. I will set the tablet to my current tima and time zone. A short time later it will change to 3 or 4 hours ahead, but the time zone stays the same. This is a non-stop battle with the device. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
-M

I see:
Set Date
Set Time
Select Time zone
Use 24-hour format
Select date format

That's it. I don't see a setting to auto detect network time or anything regarding daylight savings time. There also doesn't seem to be any sub settings within these categories other than what they are meant to do.

Upvote 0
I see:
Set Date
Set Time
Select Time zone
Use 24-hour format
Select date format

That's it. I don't see a setting to auto detect network time or anything regarding daylight savings time. There also doesn't seem to be any sub settings within these categories other than what they are meant to do.
Oh wait, you must have a WiFi model which does't have the Automatic setting since there is no cellular network to sync with over the air (3G model has this setting).

I don't know why it would just randomly change the time settings and this is the first I've heard of this. Perhaps you have a rogue app that is messing with the system?

There is a time sync app in the Market, but you need to root the Tab for it to update automatically. It's called ClockSync. It doesn't update automatically if you don't have root access though.

Upvote 0
No, I haven't really considered rooting until this clock issue started to bug me. Of all the many cool things that rooting would bring to my tablet, I hadn't really seen anything that caused me to feel this was a good solution for me personally. Though, when the warranty on the tablet runs out... maybe.

Upvote 0
No, I haven't really considered rooting until this clock issue started to bug me. Of all the many cool things that rooting would bring to my tablet, I hadn't really seen anything that caused me to feel this was a good solution for me personally. Though, when the warranty on the tablet runs out... maybe.
I googled for time bugs or issues with the Tab and couldn't get any results, which tends to indicate that it's an uncommon issue.

Have you tried a factory reset to wipe the Tab clean and start fresh? It means you need to reinstall your apps and put music, videos, whatever back on it, but it starts it off like a new tablet again.

Upvote 0
I have been considering the factory wipe along with the root. Neither are my preferred option, but if I am left with no other choice...
Doing a factory reset is a bit of a hassle, but it wipes everything off the tablet and resets the firmware which may be "glitchy" (a highly technical term).

If you sync your contacts, calendar, etc. through Google, they will resync again automagically, so no issue there. You simply need to install any apps you want again, and transfer over songs, videos, etc. If the reset fixes the time bug, then I think the hassle of the reset is well worth it.

For perspective, every time I do a firmware update on my phone or tablet, I do a factory reset before the update, and after. This gives me a clean setup of the new firmware, and I've never had issues that others have complained about when simply updating and no doing a reset. Either I'm lucky, or the reset does a better job with the firmware setup. I consider it to be like wiping my PC and doing a clean install of Windows whenever a major change is made.

So for my Tab, I've only reset it once to update to v3.2, and my phone I've reset twice to update to v2.3.6. No big deal to me and I'm "glitchy" free.
:D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones