• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Time for a change of ROM?!?

Not sure what Ral uses, but Elixir does the job for me.

What else is borked in Ice Cold Sandwich 8.6.1? Is it stable enough to be used by someone who generally panics when one of her widgets or her dock moves to a different homescreen (Eg Mrs Presidente). She was messing about with my phone this morning and liked Jellybean so I told her I'd see what the stablest, newest OS there was for her DHD and I'd give it a flash over the weekend.

Random FC's and the general weirdness you normally get when a ROM is in Alpha/beta, I can put up with, but I know she wouldn't be able to.

Is Ice Cold Sandwich stable enough? The Video recording thing is ok, she rarely uses that. As long as Tune In, youtube and talk worked, she'd be happy.

Upvote 0
here is something else i am learing from you! how do you tell what sensor you have?

I use my favorite tool, Root Explorer (used Explorer even before I was rooted just to take a look). Just browse to:

/sys/android_camera/sensor

What else is borked in Ice Cold Sandwich 8.6.1?

Not much if I recall. Chrome does not work perfectly, but better than 8.5. 720p video works... but I do not think it is at 30 fps. I do not remember any other issues. Only kept the ROM for three days, but not because of any issues. I just missed Sense.

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
... As for ICS 8.6.1, I've found the wifi doesn't always work (may be hardware) garbled text still appears, lag, camera is 8mp I think but small.

Works fine for me. Only seen garbled text once - just restart the launcher. No lag now - download SuperSU to replace superuser and all is fine. Mine runs at 1380Mhz with no problems.

Wifi signal levels look low on the bars but it always seems to work.

Dave

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones