1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Time for a change

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by oOMavrikOo, Feb 8, 2011.

1. oOMavrikOo

oOMavrikOo Android Expert

Hello forum. I've been off and on lately and haven't able to keep up with the new roms. I've been on cm6 for a while now and a starting to get alot of lag and am just ready for something new. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I think I would like to try 2.3 but I really don't want to deal with too many bugs. I am also willing to keep 2.2. I'm mostly looking for speed and good storage space for my apps. Any suggestions?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jwolfe152

jwolfe152 Member

I'm using cm7 with the decca 768 kernel collins battery tweak and the firerat mod and now I have 262/328 internal storage only bug in cm7 I've run into was I had to use TE to get the market to download. btw I'm not using the latest version (can't remember what the date it but its recent) but I will be flashing it soon. I was also using the circle battery mod but out screwed up don't know if its fixed yet

3. oOMavrikOo

Can I just flash the firat mid or us it in terminal emulator? I don't have a cpu right now and can't use adb.

4. SupraEA

SupraEA Member

Yea, you can flash it in recovery. Look at the second post of this thread.

androidforums.com/sprint-hero-all-things-root/267880-getting-adb-work-driver-install.html

5. KitsapAndroid

KitsapAndroid Android Enthusiast

2.3 GB is pretty functional and virtually bug free. Just make the leap, you won't regret it. :)

6. oOMavrikOo

What exactly is the root of the sd card? I normally just download roms, kernels, themes, etc from the browser and flash the items from where they were stored in the initial download.

7. DonB

DonB ♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™

Means to drag and drop to your SD card, do not put it any folder or directory

8. andygu3

andygu3 Android Expert

Either download directly from a site or download the rom/kernel..from computer then mount sd card and transfer the file to your sd card, that way the zip file will not be in any folder

9. oOMavrikOo

Just because I'm curious... what's the benefit or advantage of doing this? Other than being able to find files easier of course.

10. JB in AZ

JB in AZ Android Expert

To flash a file from the SD card via recovery, the file NEEDS to be on the root level of the SD card, or recovery won't find it. It only looks to the root level for flashable files, not inside of any folders.

11. SupraEA

SupraEA Member

Although I mostly flash from the root of sd, i have flashed Roms and gapps from the downloads folder. It does work. But like I said, every other time, i have done it from the root of sd.

12. SDRebel

SDRebel Member

Can you point me to where I can find it? I've been at XDA and pretty much the only one I found was AOSP 2.3.2 and couldn't find it on HTC Hero CDMA - CyanogenMod Forum either :thinking:
    thanks

13. andygu3

andygu3 Android Expert

SDRebel likes this.
  14. oOMavrikOo

Everything I've ever flashed from recovery had been in a folder. Mostly from the browsers folder, but I've never flashed anything from what I now know is the root of the sd.

15. JB in AZ

JB in AZ Android Expert

Hmmm..maybe the newer Recoverys work differently? I was always under the impression that they needed to be on the root level to be recognized. :thinking:

16. MahaloCat

MahaloCat Android Expert

JB - NOPE - they can be anywhere.
    S-off files need be on root -

DonB likes this.
  17. andygu3

andygu3 Android Expert

I either transfer to phone after mounting the sd card or directly download something to the phone and it's in the downloads folder on the sd card

18. JB in AZ

JB in AZ Android Expert

OK, just to clear up this issue regarding where the files need to be located on the SD card to be flashed. There is a difference between ClockWorkMod recovery and Amon RA recovery in this regard. With CWM, the files can be anywhere on the SD card, but with Amon RA, they need to be on the root level of the SD card. I have always used Amon RA recoveries exclusively. Hope this helps! :)

MahaloCat likes this.
  19. MahaloCat

MahaloCat Android Expert

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Gotcha! ;)

JB in AZ likes this.
  20. oOMavrikOo

Makes sense to me.

21. oOMavrikOo

So I don't have to read every single post in the 2.3 thread, can someone post a download link to both versions of GB, the latest gapps, and current Deca kernels? Maybe even the proper flashing method? I hope I'm not asking for too much....

22. jwolfe152

jwolfe152 Member

The first post in both GB threads are updated with the newest rom build and gapps as for the kernel I cant remember where I got the link from

23. jwolfe152

jwolfe152 Member

forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=756774

Don't know if my edit worked from opera but here is the decca kernel link
    forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=756774

SDRebel likes this.
  24. andygu3

andygu3 Android Expert

I am not having any troubles flashing kernels, roms when they are in my downloads folder and not the root level. This is using Ra v2.2.1 for the Evo and using his latest release v2.3

JB in AZ likes this.
  25. JB in AZ

JB in AZ Android Expert

I know for a fact that the version of RA that I had on my Hero required the files to be on the root of the SD....BUT! You are absolutely right! I just checked on my EVO, and with Amon RA v2.1.1, I am also able to select a file to flash from within a folder. Cool! I guess the latest versions of RA now support this, at least on the EVO. Can anyone with a Hero and a current version of Amon RA confirm this, so we can all know? :D

HTC Hero Forum

The HTC Hero release date was July 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 5MP camera, 288GB RAM, MSM7200A processor, and 1350mAh battery.

July 2009
Release Date
Reviews