• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Time to unroot, but...

I'd prefer to go to S-On...

But I've just realised that the AAHk asks if you want to flash a RUU , after returning to S-On...

So , in theory , could I just install the RUU.exe, and then return to S-On in the AAHK , and skip the AAHK RUU installlation
?

I think you'd need to go back to S-On and then run the RUU from your computer separately, but I'm not 100% sure on that!

Upvote 0
I think you'd need to go back to S-On and then run the RUU from your computer separately, but I'm not 100% sure on that!

Can I run the RUU with S-On? Would my CID still be super?

The link that Ral posted seems like it'll do the job , although it looks a lil complicated.... and mentions re - rooting if it doesnt work :S

EDIT : RAl's link shows installling a RUU to unbranded Froyo for chaning the CID...Would this be necessary?

Could I not just install that PD98IMG that's linked ?

No info on how to make the PD98IMG from the rom.zip that can be copied from the temp folder the RUU makes?

Do I just rename to PD98IMG, or do I have to add anything ?

Upvote 0
i havent read thru all the links,but a couple of things:

1)why are you unrooting?

if you need to return the phone for warranty,you should make efforts to return the phone to 100% stock: s-on,correct CID,and correct build for your region/carrier

if youre unrooting for other reasons,you need to understand that the radio secure flag being off,and CID being 11111111(super) do not affect the phones natural abilities to recieve OTAs,or any normal booted function,and leaving them in place makes your life MUCH easier if youre keeping this device and wish to return to a rooted state later.

if youve got other intentions for unrooting,i personally would encourage you to just run whatever ruu that you want/need to,and leave it at that. otherwise,an explantion of why you wish to unroot may help us help you better.

2) if you turn s-on,youll need to flash a signed by htc RUU. you cannot flash an unsigned ruu that someone has made up by assembling dumped system,boot,etc. images. youre also limited to flashing only the current build number or newer,you wont be able to back track

3)if you reset your CID,youll need a working gold card to falsh an ruu that is not compatible with it(and youll be stuck with the main version restraints-only same build or newer in version number)

Reactions: D-U-R-X
Upvote 0
i havent read thru all the links,but a couple of things:

1)why are you unrooting?

if you need to return the phone for warranty,you should make efforts to return the phone to 100% stock: s-on,correct CID,and correct build for your region/carrier

For Warrenty. The link tries to revert the CID to orange.

2) if you turn s-on,youll need to flash a signed by htc RUU. you cannot flash an unsigned ruu that someone has made up by assembling dumped system,boot,etc. images. youre also limited to flashing only the current build number or newer,you wont be able to back track

3)if you reset your CID,youll need a working gold card to falsh an ruu that is not compatible with it(and youll be stuck with the main version restraints-only same build or newer in version number)

You'd have to look at the link - I dont know if the PD98IMG is signed by HTC

Upvote 0
yeah that link is un-neccessarily complicated. the aahk should downgrade you in order to unroot. IMO,all you need to do is:

-run aahk(chose options to s-on and change cid. ive not run it,so i cant say for sure what the menu options are)
-run RUU(either a .exe on your PC,or a PD98IMG in hboot,it doesnt matter wich)

thats it. if you change your CID to the correct one,then the ruu should run,as the downgrade firmware is older than both the orange RUUs in footballs folder

a worse case might be that it fails the CID check becasue those ruus want a different one. in that situation,you could use a gold card to make sure they flash.

you might also consider leaving your CID at 11111111 so you dont have trouble running the ruu after. there are no visual affects of your CID,and it is possible that your device ccould have shipped that way(and s-off,for that matter) so htc wont know youre still superCIDed unless they really check,wich is unlikely. and even if they did,i doubt theyd care,or could even prove that you changed it if they did. if you return the phone on factory reset stock software and s-on,i doubt any eyebrows will be raised.

actually,looking at this chart,if you want to use the uk ruu,change the cid to ORANG001. to use the ES ruu,change it to ORANG309. that would be a lil more politically correct than leaving it 11111111

one thing i would do,is try and make the phone OTA to more current software as those builds are old,and may or may not be the most current for that carrier.

football list ruus for UK and ES,so pick wichever one would be more appropriate.
RUU_Ace_Orange_ES_1.75.75.2_Radio_12.28e.60.140f_26.04.02.17_M2_release_161930_signed.exe - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com

RUU_Ace_Orange_UK_1.84.61.2_Radio_12.28g.60.140f_26.05.05.27_M3_release_170856_signed.exe - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com

i honestly dont think it would matter much if you returned it on the latest unbranded 3.0 fimrware.

im downloading the 2 orange roms,and tomoro will get them uploaded to Shipped ROMs in case you have trouble downloading from file factory.

Reactions: ral and D-U-R-X
Upvote 0
To be honest though, I've read either somewhere on here or XDA that, if your phone is more than 6 months old and you return it to your carrier with a problem that needs fixing under warranty, they just return it to HTC to sort out!

yup! we as rooters are actually a very small per cent of the phone using population. while i think we kinda like to think of ourselves as outlaw villans that htc and the carriers have got search partys out and a team of sherrifs combing thru returned devices making sure everything is legit,searching for signs of root so they can catch us red handed,i thnk the reality is they dont really care.

verizon has publicly stated that they do not check for any signes of being rooted. they check:
1)the overall condition of the shipping package
2)the physical condition of the device(scratches and boo-boos)
3)that it turns on(or doesnt)

mehta could likely send his phone in as is,and it would really matter :eek:

i honestly think turning s-on and resetting the CID is an optional step. i think if he runs a carrier ruu hes prolly safe,but hopefully the info above helps if he wants to set cid and s-on. :)

Reactions: D-U-R-X
Upvote 0
Just realised the AAHk file in the PD98IMG folder tells you that it needs the rom.zip stuff :

PD98IMG consists of:

android-info.txt

and any combination of:

recovery.img
boot.img
system.img
radio.img
hboot.

But I still dont know a couple of things:

Do I need a specific android text doc?

and how do I get these .img files from the RUU?

Other option is to unroot and s-on via the AAHk to the WEE RUU with the editied CID and then run the RUU for Orange

Reason being , I thought I wouldnt be able to use the Orange RUU afterwards, as the AAHK changes the CID to HTC001...

EDIT: Now I'm thinking if I can S-On, and then run the Orange RUU ( My CID would still be 1111... , so I dont see why not ? )
and also, do you still need my original build number?

Upvote 0
Just realised the AAHk file in the PD98IMG folder tells you that it needs the rom.zip stuff :

But I still dont know a couple of things:

Do I need a specific android text doc?
you cant change it. pick one of the orange links i gave you,and either just run the .exe file as is,or you can extract "rom.zip" and flash that in hboot.

and how do I get these .img files from the RUU?
you cant modify the ruu,you have to use an htc ruu,as is.

Other option is to unroot and s-on via the AAHk to the WEE RUU with the editied CID and then run the RUU for Orange
i dont know about that. if i wanted to change the cid i would:
run aahk and:
-change the cid to one of the ones i mentioned,depending on wich ruu you want to use
-turn s-on
-run the .exe file.

but im old school. ;) ( i actually wouldnt even bother with the aahk :eek: )

Reason being , I thought I wouldnt be able to use the Orange RUU afterwards, as the AAHK changes the CID to HTC001...
that may be true. im not sure whAT ruus the HTC__001 CID will allow. i was under the impression the unbranded CID would only accept the unbranded RUUs,but that may not be a correct statement.

EDIT: Now I'm thinking if I can S-On, and then run the Orange RUU ( My CID would still be 1111... , so I dont see why not ? )
and also, do you still need my original build number?

i thik that wwould be fine.
-turn s-on
-leave supercid
-run ruu

we only need your original build number if you want to try and figure out what carrier/region it was. if youre content to use one of the orange ruus i linkes,we dont need to fgure out what your original was.

hope that helps :)

also,i can upload those ruus to shipped roms for you. if youd rather have PD98IMG type files,i can explain how to extract them from the .exe,or i can extract and upload them for you. that will have to be a lil later in the afternoon,eveing,however,i need to get my work car patched up so i can be able to work tomoro,lol. back out to the garage for a bit...

Reactions: Mehta23
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones