1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Time weather widget cannot find city location

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Android Question, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Android Question

I've got a new Lenovo K3 and it cannot locate my city on the weather widget that it shipped with. When I try and get the widget to find the city it simply says 'City not found'. I've tried changing the location settings from GPS only to GPS and network etc and it doesn't work. I've also tried other weather widgets but they have the problem where the weather portion of the widget can find the location but the clock goes out of sync when the phone switches to its lock screen.

Does anyone have any ideas?

It's driving me crazy.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

I believe you need to allow location to on in Google settings in the settings menu

3. Heshdude

Heshdude Lurker

How do i get the 'google settings' in the settings menu?

4. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

Settings, personal, location....click on location. Switch it to "on". Restart your phone and it should find your location automatically

Attached Files:

5. Heshdude

Heshdude Lurker

My location settings are under 'Basic settings'. It is switched to 'on' i restarted and it still doesn't work

6. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Stock weather app on a Lenovo. It probably knows about every little place in China no problem. But other places around the world, like smaller towns, it's not so good. My Oppo R7 Plus is the same, it didn't know about Weston super Mare in the UK. Third-party weather apps like AccuWeather, no problem.

#6 mikedt, Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  7. Heshdude

Heshdude Lurker

The problem is that when I use a third party app they then don't sync with the system clock so the time displayed by the widget is lagging. So frustrating

8. mikedt

mikedt 你好

There might not you can do about it, not unless Lenovo does an update, to something that's perhaps a bit less parochial.

Where are you exactly? I'm in China, and so Chinese weather software is not really a problem for me usually.

When I was in the UK last week, my Oppo stock weather app insisted that Weston super Mare was actually Las Vegas, USA. LOL.

9. Heshdude

Heshdude Lurker

I'm in Australia

10. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Are Lenovo phones officially available in Australia, or did you buy it online, shipped from Hong Kong usually. AFAIK Lenovo doesn't distribute phones in the European Union or North America.

11. Heshdude

Heshdude Lurker

Bought online but from a chain store in Australia

12. mikedt

mikedt 你好

OK, but I suspect that the Lenovo weather location database comes from China. Which might be somewhat incomplete for places outside of the PRC. It's probably got major cities like Canberra, Sydney, Melbourne, etc, but that's it. My Oppo phone is the same. This China phone also insisted that my dad was in Guangxi Province, when he's actually in the UK.

#12 mikedt, Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
    KOLIO and Dannydet like this.