1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Timing the death of wifi

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by old_codger, Jul 15, 2013.

1. old_codger

old_codger Well-Known Member

This should be very easy but I can't find the answer - most likely because I don't know how to word my search.
    Is there an app that tracks wifi signal over time? With great frequency I lose wifi signal sometime between 11P and 6A most nights. I'm trying to find when the signal dies so I can (possibly) narrow down the cause(s). Thus, I need an app to give me enough info to know when I lose wifi.

Advertisement

2. jae_63

jae_63 Android Enthusiast

You can find a bunch of related apps by searching for "wifi analyzer" in google play. Searching for "wifi analyzer export" only yields a few results, including Wolf Wifi Pro Net Tools Demo, which apparently has some export functionality.

Perhaps you can use Tasker to run this and export the results every 10 minutes or so.

3. hstroph

hstroph Android Enthusiast

Yes, it's very easy if one is comfortable using Linux, the embedded operating system of the Android phone. If "BusyBox Pro" is installed then one has all the usual commands at ones disposal, so it's just a matter of creating an executable script, and using an app to run it every so often during the suspect timeframe. A Play Store search for "crontab" yields several candidates, but the suggested "Tasker" may do the job.

In this simple example, we're just going to "ping" an outside machine to see if the wifi interface is working. If it isn't working then we write the time to a file, along with any other information you'd like to see at that time, perhaps the top several apps consuming the cpu (commented out below as it's not really necessary for your stated purpose). If you ran this script every minute from 10:00 pm to 06:00 am then the first line in the file would be the first minute that the wifi interface (wlan0) failed, with remaining lines indicating continued failure or the lack of them as intermittent success.

ping -c1 -I wlan0 google.com >/dev/null 2>&1
    if [ "$?" -ne "0" ]; then
    echo $(date) "wifi is DOWN" >> /storage/emulated/0/wifi_results.txt
    #top -n1 >> /storage/emulated/0/wifi_results.txt
    fi